"Quiet Sunday Mass?'
  • miacoyne
    One of the pastor in this area called me to ask whether our schola can sing on Sunday 7:30 AM Mass which is currently a 'quiet' Mass." I know some people like "quiet Mass" for various reasons, but pastors and some others are asking for music, and I'd like to help. I think the Church recommends music on all Sunday Masses when possible (?), but not sure from where I read about this. Is there Church documents regarding this issue, (OF Masses)? Thanks.
  • cdruiz
    Chant can feel very quiet, especially when it starts out of silence and ends with silence. As an example, let the processional begin with some silence, then start the inroit.
  • chonakchonak
    Just as a cautionary note: some people who attend an early Mass without music may protest to the pastor if music is added. It's probably best to be gentle about any change here.
  • dad29
    The "sung is preferred" item can be found explicitly in SC, where music is called "an integral part of the Liturgy."

From "De Musica Sacra" of 1958 (second paragraph of the intro) we have this:

sacred music and sacred liturgy are so naturally inter- woven that laws cannot be made for the one without affecting the other.

See: http://www.adoremus.org/1958Intro-sac-mus.html

Now go to Para. 22. Here you see this:

22. By its very nature, the Mass requires that all present take part in it, each having a particular function.

a) Interior participation is the most important; this consists in paying devout attention, and in lifting up the heart to God in prayer. In this way the faithful "are intimately joined with their High Priest...and together with Him, and through Him offer (the Sacrifice), making themselves one with Him" (Mediator Dei, Nov. 20, 1947: AAS 39 [1947] 552).
    b) The participation of the congregation becomes more complete, however, when, in addition to this interior disposition, exterior participation is manifested by external acts, such as bodily position (kneeling, standing, sitting), ceremonial signs, and especially responses, prayers, and singing.

While the document specifically acknowledges the "Low Mass" (silent), (b) above, particularly the last few words, gives you a strong hint as to Rome's preference--which includes 'singing.' This 'singing' may be hymnody, by the way.

In general, Rome has always preferred the sung Mass (propers, Ordinary) over the 'silent' Mass, but for practicality they have allowed "silent" Mass. By "practicality" we mean that there may not be a choir/schola for every Mass; there may be time-constraints which exclude sung Masses, (etc.)
  • Protasius
    If it is EF, I think chant would be prohibited. There was a contrary decision by the Holy Rites Congregation in the late 60s, but I'm not sure whether this affects the actual celebrations allowed by Summorum Pontificum. In OF this is completely licit.
  • Liam
    GIRM no 40:

40. Great importance should therefore be attached to the use of singing in the celebration of the Mass, with due consideration for the culture of the people and abilities of each liturgical assembly. Although it is not always necessary (e.g., in weekday Masses) to sing all the texts that are of themselves meant to be sung, every care should be taken that singing by the ministers and the people is not absent in celebrations that occur on Sundays and on holy days of obligation.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If I were in your situation, I'd suggest to the Pastor that you begin thusly:

Weeks 1-8:
    Chant the dialogue responses, Psalm, Alleluia (simple), Sanctus, Mysterium Fidei, Amen, Agnus Dei and Communio.

Review how much objection is going on. If there's too much, just keep doing this and don't add anything.

If there is little objection, or the objection has quieted sufficiently, then begin adding piece by piece.

Weeks 9-12:
    Add the Introit, sung before Mass begins and the Gloria.

Weeks 12-14:
    Move the Introit to the actual procession.

Weeks 15-18:
    Add the Offertory.

Weeks 19-22:
    Start using the real Alleluia from the GR.

Weeks 23-26:
    Add the Kyrie, and switch to the Gradual from the Responsorial Psalm.

Then in a mere 26 weeks you'll have turned a low Mass into a Mass full of chant. After this, begin training the Deacon and Priests to sing the Gospel/Eucharistic Prayer. Find a team from the current readers who can sing and teach them to sing the readings. Slow things down or speed things up, depending on the level of objection and/or acceptance.
  • newmanbenewmanbe
    A possible step zero to matthewj’s suggestion is to recite the entrance and communion antiphons from the missal. I have never heard the former and the latter only a few times.
  • chonakchonak
    I think matthewj's schedule is rather ambitious, but then I'm not a music director!
  • miacoyne
    Thank you everyone. This is great. (I see GIRM 40 actaully states the Church's preference of singing on Sundays. This is a good solid reason for me to help out.)

A few parishes in this area actually recite entrance and communion antiphones during daily Masses. I'll have a meeting with the pastor next week, and I will be proposing sung Introit and commnio from SEP and simple Gregorian Ordinaries. (I think it's a good place to start chants which will be sung quietly by a few people, until others start joining us in singing.:-)
  • Well, RC, I am a DM and also play one on TV, and think MJM's schedule, under confident management is quite doable.
    YMMV