Teaching chant
  • BGP
    Ccvvccc
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Hi Ben, congratulations! What sort of program do you have in mind? Would you meet with them just once, a few times, weekly, biweekly? How much time when you meet with them each session? Dom Sunol's textbook, Gregorian Chant According to the Solesmes Method, might be a good place to start. Susan Treacy's book, A Plain and Easy Introduction to Gregorian Chant, is also wonderful.

There are others on this forum far more knowledgeable than me, but I've given a number of workshops, and also run a year-long program for the Diocese of Peoria. I am working on a syllabus for the Cathedral Chant School now. I can email it to you when it is done (hopefully in another week). It will not sketch out lessons in great detail, but it'll give a pretty detailed scope for each month, including exercises and chants being learned. I can also email you the notes from other shorter workshops I have done, for what they're worth. It'll hopefully at least be able to give you a start, if this is what you are looking for. Just let me know. NB: If my communication is sporadic, it is because I just moved and am starting some new jobs.
  • BGP
    Zzzzzx
  • BGP I have never heard of the Klarmann book , is it still in print?
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Ben,

I sent my stuff to you last night -- but now I realize it was to the hotmail listed in your profile, not the gmail you listed above. Let me know if I need to send it again!

Angela
  • BGP
    Ruth, no it's not. It's a GIA publication from the 1950's. I was thinking of donating it to be scanned (you can find it on ebay every once in a while) what I like about it is that it assumes no musical knowledge and explains things in clear language, avoiding unnecessary terminology when necessary.
  • Angela, I would like to have a copy of your chant-training syllabus as well; I have been doing single-day workshops but am now looking for something more long-term. Thank you!
  • rsven
    BGP, The very best book I've ever used for teaching chant is called "GRegorian Chant Practicum", and is published by Catholic University Press, Washington, D.C. Written by Theodore Marier (need I say more?), and based on work by Justine Ward, it is fabulous. It is pricey ($50.00); but well worth it. You can order it by email or phone, if you get on the Catholic U. Press site.