Blogs and forums on parish practice
  • I am beginning to look for some more solid information on parish practices. Knowing how way leads on to way on the internet, I was hoping that people could give me some examples of blogs and forums that could help me get going. I know that on this site of all places I should say 'fora,' but this isn't a forum on translingual migration of vocabulary. I think. (-:

I already stumbled across a blog on a parish fight in the Antipodes that seemed to involve vast armies of all the wrong people--on all sides. It happened to be exactly what I was looking for! (With a quiet word of thanks that I wasn't involved in the fight.)

Something along the lines of Whispers or American Papist, but concerned with a local diocese or parish. Although this discussion forum wanders far afield from music and hits some pretty emotional points, I don't think it would be appropriate here, so I won't open a thread. If someone wants to say something, they can send an email to my blog address: amindthatsuits@yahoo.com

I myself am a convert who doesn't have a stake in any pre- or post-VII arguments, although the priest that had the most to do with my conversion was most emphatically pre-Conciliar in his attitudes. Most people thought this meant he was liberal, because he didn't like schismatic fights...and he assumed the Church was going to win anyway. I think that, except for the fact that the wrong people gained control of the colleges and the social service agencies, those 1960's fights are rapidly fading as the JPII generations take over. (Yes, he reigned long enough that we can talk of JPII generations in the plural.) I see the fight--alas, yes, a fight--developing along the lines that the Evangelicals know all too well: is evangelization so important that doctrine and practice must be sacrficed?

It's interesting, because I don't want to get into doctrinal arguments--it's what drove me from Protestantism. 15 years in a non-denominational Church, and all I remember is people screaming over who was Pope. I concluded I would take the single one in Rome, and when asked why I converted I say, to those who would understand, 'the Apostolic Succession." It's why I can't get exercised about taking the Host in my hand---Rome has spoken.

My concern always was, on entering, on restoring the beauty of the Liturgy. But I think the fights over the liturgy at the local level are actually going to get worse in certain areas; this concern for popular evangelization is exactly what is going to drive it.

Any suggestions?
  • Oh, yes, and my name is Kenneth. When I signed up, I thought that the username was just to get in but it would post my name. I probably should change that.