File attachments on the forum
  • chonakchonak
    Some file attachments posted on the forum may not open successfully on your system, depending on your software.

This doesn't happen to all file types, but it's known to happen to .doc files, .pdf files, and .tar.gz files.

The problem is this: for some unknown reason, the forum software is adding a spurious zero byte to the start of the file.

There is a workaround for Linux users (and this may work on Macs as well), a command to strip off the first byte of a file:

dd bs=1 skip=1 if=INPUTFILENAME of=OUTPUTFILENAME
  • BenBen
    If you are running into issues with uploading files here, you are free to use my new upload bin that I've put up for this purpose. Please only use it if you are unable to upload your files to here, or you already know that your file type will have issues (such as word documents).

When you upload files, it will also give you some HTML you can copy and paste an use here to link to your file. Here's an example of what it looks like when you paste the HTML into the forums here:

an-advent-calendar-of-hymn-tune-introits.doc

Use this login info for both the username and password: ms-upload

MS Upload Bin

Please, if you see anything that needs fixing, or even anything that would make it easier to use, just whisper back to me.