SEP Psalm Verses
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I was curious where the source of the selection of Psalm Verses for the SEP is? I haven't done an exhaustive analysis - in fact I was only looking at one particular communion antiphon "Qui mihi ministrat" (for St. Lawrence on Wednesday) and saw that the choice of psalm verses follows the 1962 Versus Psalmorum et Canticorum - and not the slightly different selection of verses provided in the 1974 Graduale.

Just to make it clear, I understand that this is quite a terribly minor and insignifcant matter in the big scheme of things - but where else can I examine things like this in such detail and talk with other people who know what I'm taking about? :)

I'm just positing that since it is clear the SEP will be used with the OF, shouldn't the selection of psalm verses have followed the OF Graduale Romanum and not the EF Versus Psalmorum et Canticum?
  • The 1974 was followed, but sometimes there were issues with the RGP. In other words, the citations given in the Graduale refer to the Nova Vulgata, and there are sometimes differences between this and the RGP. So in some places judgement calls were needed.
  • Adam, you did a GREAT job.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I second Paul's endorsement!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Adam, I also think you did a great job! I'm proud to have it on my bookshelf and look forward to using it when I can. I was just curious how you determined the verses, and I guess the one I decided to look up first was one of the exceptions.

I hope you'll accept my apology if my earlier post sounded too critical. That was in no way my intention!
  • Thank you all for your very kind words. I have to say that sending this manuscript off to the publisher was one of the most anxious experiences of my life because I know that there are imperfections, typos, errors, and so forth, despite the generous "beta" process! As Jeffrey T. says, though, it's good to have "buggy" software because you know that it will be the most "cutting edge". Well, I don't know if this is a great comparison for SEP, but I know that I could have delayed its release for years going over and over again all of the micro details contained therein.

So... I will have to look into this example, Skirp, you may very well be correct. But I can assure you that the basis for the Communion verses was the 1974 Graduale prescriptions. I think that all-in-all these laid out very nicely according the the methods used for this book. The Introit and Offertory verses were more complicated since these are not prescribed and required digging into the Ott Offertoriale, and required quite a bit of consideration on which additional verses to use. The verses found in the Graduale and Offertoriale should always be found as the first stanza or two, however. I feel good about the decisions made, but don't doubt at all that there could be some room for improvement in some places!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I understand your anxiety in letting it go. I admit I'm very much of a perfectionist, and I'm trying to remind myself know that oftentimes it's better to let a project start doing its job than to let too much time go by making it perfect - because nothng our human hands can make will ever be perfect.

Again, thanks for all your work and attention to detail.
  • Adam, I thought you'd enjoy this little anecdote, just happened yesterday.
    Before "schola Mass" I was firing up the xerox to reproduce my ordos and RR's SCG propers (licensed.) I don't know how it happened but the whole receiving tray fell to the floor like a chunk of meteor. Well, thinks I, I have my box of SEP's next door and no time. So me and the box go to church. Well, my folks sight sing Richard's propers every Sunday AM and they've held (relunctantly) the PBC in their hands, so I very quietly said in the church, "You will be amazed at how easily you will envelope yourselves in these." Lo and behold, four lines, square notes, DO clef, they chanted the Introit and Communio flowingly, even negotiating quarter/half measures in sync. Wendy and I handled the verses (which we normally sing chorally with RR's) and you could feel their ears taking in the unison inhalation for taking up the antiphon in confidence.
    Proof that is in the pudding. I love telling them you're under 30 and used to be Matt Maher's lead shredder!
    Blessings mon ami,
    Charles
  • Charles, that's an incredible testimony! This is what proves success or failure. If people can pick it up and sing with dignity in liturgy then it has been a success. Now to get Mr. Maher using them...
  • The SEP is getting popular in some Episcopal churches now. I heard from a singer yesterday who said that the SEP has solved the entire parish problem of what to do at communion. Everyone is cheering.
  • I am enjoying using the SEP, as is our visiting priest. My only caveat is that because I do not know how to read music, I need a lot of help. The online tutorials help a lot. I just wish I could find someone down here who knew chant who could help me. I have to rely on recording myself with the tutorial and then practicing.