World Youth Day music for Mass?
  • fp
    I couldn't find anything on the WYD website about the choice of settings for the upcoming Mass in Madrid. Would any of you know where I could find some information about the ordinaries chosen? and/or some of the music that the participants will be singing? I am trying to inspire our youth group here to use "beautiful and sacred" music for Mass...and I'm hoping to find some good examples....?
    Thanks for your help!
    FP
  • Kathy
    Here you are:
    http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/libretti/2011/messale_madrid2011.pdf

Re: propers, not so much. But check out the ordinaries :)
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I only skimmed it, but weren't they mostly just the incipits? Not to be a debbie-downer, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee what comes after them.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    That is a very odd program... I mean, why give the incipit for Credo III and then nothing else? Is the choir singing a polyphonic Credo? Do they assume the congregation knows Credo III by heart? Or does the celebrant chant the incipit from Credo III right before the bongo drums begin?
  • ralvarez
    The way I understand it is that this is the Missal for the Apostolic Journey, not a general program, so it's just a (maybe translated) version of what Benedict uses and the people are distributed something different. Just like in the United Kingdom last year, the Missal had no real musical references at all, but Magnificat put out a free program booklet with full musical settings for all the people's parts.
  • fp
    Thanks Kathy!!....That's one site, I'm ashamed to say, I didn't check!!!! It's great to see all that latin!
    FP
  • Claire H
    Well, I'm not sure about the main WYD Masses, but on the 17th and 18th at the "Love & Life Site" (sports stadium for 15,000; largest English-speaking pilgrimage site sponsored by the Sisters of Life) David Hughes -- Colloquium faculty -- will be directing music for two English Masses. I'm thrilled to be joining them to sing along with the Sisters of Life schola and David's student schola.

Not sure why the info on the Masses isn't on the Love & Life site, though...

www.wydenglishsite.org
  • Claire is quite right; the main English speaking Masses, on Wednesday the 17th and Thursday the 18th, will be sung by the St. Mary's Student Schola of Norwalk, CT; the Sisters of Life Schola; and our friends! When accepting the invitation to come to Madrid, I made our participation contingent on singing the propers; therefore the proper Introit, Offertory, and Communio will be sung each day. Responsorial psalms are to a Gregorian tone, with Theodore Marier's fauxbourdon for the verses. Alleluias are (in a pastoral concession) to the mode vi triple Alleluia (which is of course proper only to the Easter Vigil); but the Alleluia verse each day will be chanted melismatically. Motets are by Josquin, Palestrina, Victoria, Byrd, and Mozart.

Here's the complete music listing for each of these Masses:

-----

Wednesday, 17 August 2011, 12:00 noon
    Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit
    (Missale Romanum of 1970)
    Palacio de Deportes, Madrid

Prelude: Ave Maria (Schubert) [World Youth Alliance Quartet]
    Hymn at the Procession: Come, Holy Ghost (Lambillotte)
    Introit: Caritas Dei (plainsong, mode ii)
    Kyrie: XVI
    First Reading (Hebrews 11:1-2,7-11)
    Psalm: Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, for he has visited and redeemed his people. (St. Luke 1:68-75) (plainsong, mode v; Marier fauxbourdon)
    Alleluia (plainsong, mode vi)
    Gospel (St. Matthew 14:23-33)
    Intercessory Prayers
    Offertory: Confirma hoc Deus (plainsong, mode viii; with chanted verses)
    Hymn at the Offertory: Come Down, O Love Divine (Down Ampney)
    Sanctus: XVIII
    Memorial Acclamation: Mortem tuam...
    Agnus Dei: XVIII
    Communion: Spiritus Sanctus docebit vos (plainsong, mode viii; with psalm verses)
    Motet at the Communion: Ave Maria (Victoria)
    Hymn at the Communion: O Lord, I Am Not Worthy (Gouzes)
    Motet at the Communion: Ave Verum Corpus (Mozart)
    Motet at the Communion: Veni Creator Spiritus (Josquin)
    Marian antiphon: Ave Maria (plainsong, mode i)
    Hymn at the Retiring Procession: Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee
    Postlude: Fugue in D Major (BWV 532) (J.S. Bach)

-----

Thursday, 18 August 2011, 12:00 noon
    Votive Mass of the Most Holy Name of Jesus
    (Missale Romanum of 1970)
    Palacio de Deportes, Madrid

Prelude: Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring (J.S. Bach) [World Youth Alliance Quartet]
    Entrance Hymn: Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven (Lauda anima)
    Introit: In nomine Jesu (plainsong, mode ii)
    Kyrie: XVI
    First Reading (Acts 4:8-12)
    Psalm: Our help is in the name of the Lord. (Isaiah 12:2-6) (plainsong, mode v; Marier fauxbourdon)
    Alleluia (plainsong, mode vi)
    Gospel (St. Matthew 1:18-25)
    Intercessory Prayers
    Offertory: Portas caeli (plainsong, mode viii)
    Hymn at the Offertory: The Lord is Now About to Enter His Temple (Gouzes)
    Sanctus: XVIII
    Memorial Acclamation: Mortem tuam...
    Agnus Dei: XVIII
    Communion: Gustate et videte (plainsong, mode iii; with psalm verses)
    Hymn at the Communion: Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All (Sweet Sacrament)
    Motet at the Communion: Jesu dulcis memoria (Palestrina)
    Motet at the Communion: Ave Verum Corpus (Byrd)
    Marian antiphon: Ave Maria (plainsong, mode i)
    Recessional: Alleluia! Sing to Jesus (Hyfrydol)
    Postlude: Praeludium in D minor (BuxWV 140) (Buxtehude)

------

The students (whose average age is about 12 or 13) are also singing for the principal Mass at the Primate Cathedral of Toledo on Sunday, August 14th, at noon; and for an Extraordinary Form Missa cantata at the Monastery of the Incarnation, Avila, on the Feast of the Assumption, August 15th, at 2:00 p.m. Please keep us in your prayers!
  • Absolutely amazing.
  • FP, thanks for asking.

David, that is a wonderful program of music.

Here's the problem. As my office is two hundred feet from the National Shrine, this year I finally went to the Vigil for Life. What a blessed experience. 5-6 thousand in attendance, 95 percent of them younger than 20. And Peter Latona pulled out all the stops. It was a grand declaration that WE are CATHOLIC and WE are DIFFERENT. The kids loved it. They were transfixed. Dr. Latona even threw in some Tallis at one point. (As the processional was at least a half hour long and the Mass was close to three hours, he had time to throw in just about everybody.) And this is my experience with kids, who surround me every waking hour almost every day. They are primed for adventure and a certain percentage just absorb this stuff like a spunge.

What happens when they get home? I had a depressing exchange last night with an old friend about what she feels about the new Missal being introduced, and she told me that their new music director, who stepped right out of CMAA's dreams, is hitting a brick wall. I know the congregation well; it is full of folks who want everything neat and tidy and fit right in with their gym and Starbucks. Nice people, but pretty complacent.

So...what happens when all these kids get home?

Kenneth