Sets of Propers
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Trying to compile a list of all available sets of Propers in Latin and/or English.

Information I'd like, if known:

-Title of Collection
    -Authorship
    -Propers Included (for example, the SEP only leaves out the Gradual; the Tietze introit collection has only Introits)
    -language (and if in English, perhaps a note about the translation)
    -Style (chant, polyphony, non-polyphonic choral, strophic hymnody, folk, punk rock, etc)
    -Completeness (whole cycle? just advent and Christmas? half-done due to composer's death? in progress?)
    -EF or OF? (If EF, is there an index to the OF?)
    -Public Domain, Open License, or Protected?
    -Where available (link(s) to download or purchase).

If so inclined, would be most helpful to format your contribution as in the following example:

Simple English Propers
    Adam Bartlett
    Introit, Offertory, Communion
    English (Standard modern)
    Plainchant with Psalm-tones
    Complete Cycle
    OF
    Open License
    http://musicasacra.com/sep/
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    PS As comprehensive as possible.
    If there's a set of heavy-metal introits for half of OT, I want to know about it.
  • BenBen
    I can't wait to see where this goes...
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Offertoria
    Witt, Franz Xaver (completed and expanded by P. Griesbacher)
    Offertories only
    latin
    Polyphony
    Very complete; v. 1A and B is de tempore, v. 2-3 are de sanctis
    EF
    PD
    Duquesne has them... I scanned Book 1A during Colloquium (need to do something about the 1st 10 pages or so as I did them as images instead of text pdfs.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Officia de Nativitate
    various, ed. Georg Rhau, Wittenburg 1545, modern ed. by Franz Krautwurst, Bärenreiter 1999
    multiple settings for the feasts represented (Christmas Day, Circumcision, Epiphany, Purification BVM)
    latin
    Polyphony
    Lacks Graduals and offertories (has the alleluias). Has sequences if you can find a use for them.
    EF
    PD (modern ed. protected)
  • Laudate Dominum Communion Antiphons
    Andrew Motyka
    Communion only
    English (modern)
    Homophonic antiphons with psalm tone verses (accompanied)
    Complete Cycle including feasts and solemnities that replace a Sunday Mass
    OF
    Public Domain
    www.communionantiphons.org
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    (even the obvious ones)
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Choralis Constantinus
    Heinrich Isaak / Ludwig Senfl
    16th Century collection of 375+ polyphonic settings of the propers, based on Gregorian chant melodies
    Latin
    EF
    Public Domain, so far as I know...
  • Plainsong Propers
    Sisters of the Most Precious Blood (O'Fallon, Missouri) with acknowledgement to Dom Ermin Vitry, OSB
    Introit, Gradual, Alleluia, Sequence, Tract, Offertory, Communion
    English (modern)
    Plainchant (reduced forms of melodies from the Graduale Romanum)
    Complete Cycle
    EF
    Copyright 1964-1966 (6 paperbound volumes)
  • Choralis Constantinus (addendum)
    Available (partially?) at ISMLP
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Plainsong Propers...
    English for the EF?

what what?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Plainsong Propers...
    English for the EF?

what what?

Would have been for provisional English experimental use in the 60s just after Sacrosanctum Concilium.

J.W. Jenkins (the composer-subject of my doctoral work) composed a number of English settings of propers for individual Sundays and feasts in octavo form. They included only the Gradual/Tract and Alleluia or the Double-Alleluia for the Easter season. They were published in a series by World Library called "Lesson Chants," which - according to what I saw on the backs of some of the octavos included works by a number of composers of the time, although I think some other composers included the Introits as well.

Most (of Jenkins' at least) were scored for two or three part choir of variable voicing, although he seemed to have equal voicing (men's schola? trebles?) in mind most of the time - accompanied by organ. You can see more information on his settings in the attached catalog of his choral music. His settings of the propers are situated between Opp. 52-70.

If you want to see copies or have info from the other works in the series described on the octavos, let me know.
  • Palmer Burgess would be another example of English for the EF - both volumes on the site.
  • Palmer Burgess would be another example of English for the EF - both volumes on the site.

I love pairing up The Plainchant Gradual 1965 (Palmer/Burgess) with the Nova Organi Harmonia.

Gregorian chant in English with organ accompaniment!
  • BruceL
    Adam, might I suggest you also add the type of notation (Gregorian or modern)?
  • Heath
    Just found some great sets by an WLP composer, Charles Thatcher.

-Eleven Communion Chants for Lent, Triduum and Easter Season**Seven Communion Chants for the Advent and Christmas Seasons**Twelve Communion Chants for Ordinary Time
    -Charles Thatcher
    -All for Communion, texts drawn from Graduale Romanum and Graduale Simplex
    -English
    -Chant-like melodies, simple enough for congregation . . . SATB harmonies in antiphon, and SATB fauxbourdon verses
    -Selected propers from all liturgical seasons
    -Ordinary Form
    -Published by WLP
    -Links: Advent/Christmas Lent/Triduum/Easter Ord. Time
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Joseph Wilcox Jenkins… now there's a name I haven't heard since playing "American Overture for Band"!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Joseph Wilcox Jenkins… now there's a name I haven't heard since playing "American Overture for Band"!

Yes, his claim to fame! Much of his choral music is in a totally different - modal cantabile style.
  • AP23AP23
    Trying to compile a list of all available sets of Propers in Latin and/or English.

Entrance Antiphons for the Advent Season by Fr. Jim Chepponis
    Communion Antiphons for the Advent Season by James Biery
    Lenten Communion Antiphons by James Biery
  • Fr. Columba Kelly
    English text from the Missal 3rd ed. with verses
    Entrance and Communion chants
    Chant, melodies are shaped by the text and modeled after the Roman Gradual
    with congregational refrains.
    OF
    Creative commons
    Entrance chants
    communion chants
    web page of other chant propers by Fr. Columba Kelly entrance, offertories, respons. psalms and communions: all English and formatted as worship aids

OCP will be publishing works by Fr Kelly
    and Fr. Weber will have a gradual in print soon.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Here are working links to the chants by Fr. Columba Kelly:

entrance antiphons
    communion antiphons
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • chonakchonak
    There's a big list of English propers on the CMAA site.

If anyone has additions or emendations to that list, please let me know; also please inform Ben Yanke and Noel Jones ("The Catholic Choirbook"), since it's really their list.
  • -b
    I'm having a hard time getting Choralis Constantinus online. Was hoping to get a score for the motet Mahrt discusses in the Fall issue of Sacred Music. Some things are on ISMLP but not this one.
  • aria
    OCP will be publishing works by Fr Kelly

In case anyone is looking for this, it's here: http://www.ocp.org/products/30128557 .

The links provided by smvanroode is the chant notation version (free online) and the link I've listed above is the modern notation w/ organ accompaniment version (for sale at OCP).
  • Graduale Romanum
    Ed. Solesmes
    Introit, Gradual, Alleluia/Tract, Sequence, Offertory, Communion, Antiphons, Hymns, Psalms, Gospel Canticles, Responsories, Responses, varia
    Latin
    Chant
    Whole cycle
    OF
    Public (protected?)
    http://media.musicasacra.com/books/graduale-romanum-1974.pdf
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood