Congregational Alleluia with a jubilus?
  • mlabelle
    I think it's interesting how many of the newly-composed Alleluias are syllabic. Why don't we write an Alleluia for the congregation with a simple jubilus (melisma on the final syllable)? The theology behind it is wonderful (inexpressible joy at receiving the gospel) and it could provide a bridge between the simpler alleluias that the congregation sings and the more complex ones from the GR that the schola sings. Is this possible or desirable?
  • I've considered this notion as well, Miabelle, and haven't come to any conclusions pro or con your idea. The standard of having verses chanted in "free time" after a mensurate refrain of a responsorial or alleluia seems to continue quite successfully from before Gelineau and up to Rice et al. In the case of using a jubilus, I'd wonder if it would "fly" for two reasons: the obvious contrast of the expediency of an accessible, rhythmic response/alleluia and/or verse, then concluded by a purposefully ornamental melisma; and the concern that a congregation would not "get" that attribute or point of the jubilus and mistake it for a cadenza, or some display of virtuosity?
    In the psalm for September 8th below, I somewhat tinkered with simply changing from an R and A style of response in time, to a an actual chant for the short versicles. This, to me, seems a simple, easy start towards stylistic blending.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I forget where I heard this, but I remember somebody saying they used the Graduale Alleluia, or at least a handful of them congregationally. If memory serves, I remember them saying they played it on organ up to the jubilus, the cantor/choir intoned it as usual up to the jubilus, then the congregation repeated, with the cantor/choir alone continuing on with the jubilus and verse. And then the congregation joining in again up to the jubilus with the choir continuing.

It seems like if you printed it in the worship aid, this would especially work.

I imagine you could easily adapt the Graduale Alleluias to be sung this way, even substituting the Lectionary verse in English to a psalmtone for the verses.
  • Try the Alleluia in The English Gradual/Anglican Use Gradual. It's a simple chanted Alleluia that adds a jubilus on the repeat, and my work-church Anglicans belt it out (they also belt out the triple Easter Vigil Alleluia...).