Sanctus VIII: the first syllable>
  • This recording of Sanctus XVIII on J.O.'s site has an augmentation on the first syllable. Is this a type or oriscus? Is there a historical or performance convention at work here? I hear a good rhetorical justification for this added pitch on "San" as it it provides a good shape for the natural rising accent to follow, and it balances well with the more weighty, unaccented pes on "ctus." I know we all have different solutions to this, but this one is new to me.
    My concern is what to do with the new translation of this "HOLY" ICEL's setting ,where proper declamation of these accents will make or break these chants - or chanting in general.. The first Syllable "Ho" could use some judicious work. Perhaps assigning TI-La on "Ho" as English accents have a descending direction would be better than just lengthening the first note, rather than duplicating the line of this recording. Right now I am mapping out may execution of the English CREED I. It has a nice up-talking tonic accent that function as a conjunctions to the following line.
  • RobertRobert
    That recording (of the Solesmes choir in the 50s, I believe) is a wonderful example of sensitivity to the text. This is chant in free rhythm, not mensuralism - there is no need to give every note a rigid value if this distorts the correct pronunciation of the text.
  • I hear a repercussus and maybe a slight rise in pitch. Even if its not intended it is interesting.
  • ossian1898ossian1898
    honestly, it just sounds like they are scooping to me...
  • dad29
    Agree w/Ossian. Failure to 'inhale the pitch' before launching.... -5 execution points.