Chant Artwork?!
  • Hello all,

Please help if you can! I have searched extensively at various Catholic/Religious bookstores, religious goods stores, and online, and CAN NOT find nice framed re-prints of chant manuscripts anywhere! I really wanted to give some as gifts, and wouldn't mind a couple to hang on my own wall, either!

I got so frustrated with the lack of fruit from my search, that I am considering beginning to create and market my own art! Thinking about purchasing some illuminated manuscripts and creating prints from that - of course, I'm not exactly sure what the process would involve. Anyone else interested in taking on such a project? You have a buyer!
  • Kathy
    Giovanni Vianini in Milan does chant paintings. I'm not sure if he sells them.

http://www.cantoambrosiano.com/
  • Maureen
    Your best bet is to find a museum (or library) with a good collection of illuminated manuscripts, including antiphoners and graduales and so forth, which sells prints of things from its collection. You may also be able to find poster companies selling posters. They will probably list these under "illuminations" or "illuminated manuscripts", and only paging through the whole selection will find what you want. Museums which have recently hosted an exhibition involving illuminations are probably also a good place to try.

Here are a couple of packs of 10 blank cards from the Morgan Library in New York, for example: one of "Chanting Monks" with a Kyrie, and one of the Nativity with "Puer Natus Est". If this sort of thing is the best you can find, you can probably still frame the picture part and get rid of the card part, of course.

There are some nice chant illuminations at this poster site which also has giclee prints.

Alternately, you can go on Wikimedia Commons, find a really nice high-resolution picture, and get color prints off that.

Good luck!
  • Anna,

I have a nun friend who makes wonderful illuminated manuscripts of chant. I've had her make several according to certain specifications for the weddings of friends and the results have been really wonderful. She's also done work for ordinations and other events. She is a lover of Gregorian chant and well-studied in the symbolism and materials of medieval manuscripts and would perhaps be allowed to take other commissions with the permission of her superior.

If you'd like her contact information, send me an email at stmichaelchoir (at) gmail (dot) com. I can also send you a scan of some of her work.

Jenny
  • thanks all for your help!