Suggestions for a small childrens choir...?
  • NHBurnett
    We have approx 20 children in the choir. This is new territory for me & some of the older ones (12-14 yrs) have expressed an interest in doing something more than the regular hymns. With the new/old Mass coming back, thought this might be a good time for them to feel productive. Would appreciate any suggestions to keep them interested... they are our future!
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Here's an early-20th-century collection of motets (put into PDF format by Jeffrey Tucker, if I'm not mistaken) which could appeal to a choir in your situation:

http://www.musicasacra.com/pdf/secunda.pdf

While I can't claim to have "note-bashed" more than a small proportion of the items in this anthology, that proportion seemed to be uniformly dignified and rewarding. Not perhaps the most profound choral writing in the world but good, solid, and craftsmanlike. The motet I happen to like best is Ecce Panis Angelorum, by G.B. Polleri, which starts on page 161; I can vouch for the fact that a competent SSA choir - whether unaccompanied or with very discreet organ backing - can make this piece sound like a million dollars.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Oh and another thing, before I sign off: there's always the Werner Icking Music Archive, which has vast quantities of non-copyright choral (as well as instrumental) music available online for free. If you haven't already looked up this archive, here's a link to it:

http://icking-music-archive.org/ByComposer.php

Good luck with this and with the other comment's link.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Choral Public Domain Library (CPDL) has over a hundred sacred choral works voiced SSA. You can list these using CPDL's Multi-Category Search by selecting "Sacred" under genre, "3 voices" under Number of voices and "SSA" under Voicing, then clicking "List works" to see the results (or you can try other combinations).
  • Francesca
    I'd order some old 'Morningstar Choirbooks' from Amazon. There are some very nice, simple anthems, hymn settings and liturgical pieces in there. Volume I is especially good. Bouman's 'Behold the Lamb of God' is worth the price of the book. The songs are unison or two part.

My experience is that the kids can sing whatever you can teach them, so don't be afraid to gather in good things from several sources - plainsong in Latin, good hymnody, Bach chorales with a good line but perhaps complex accompaniment, like 'Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring', or 'Sheep May Safely Graze'. Even some of the better contemporary things. They memorize quickly and the words stay with them - not a bad thing in today's spiritual maelstrom.

I'm not advocating the praise band type of music - I think it's a mistake to encourage kids to think of 'their' music and the music of other generations as being in conflict. But there are some wonderful, contemplative things. 'Draw Me, Lord' by Selah comes to mind.
  • I would second (cough, cough for the pun) RJ's recommendation of the Secunda Anthologia Vocalis as well as the Morningstar Choirbooks and CPDL and the Icking Archiv. In the Icking Archiv there are many SAB works with accompaniment (most of it Austro-Germanic in style with organ accompaniment) in which the bass part is exactly the same as the accompaniment bass, ergo, lovely SA music! (Fuhrer's In te, Domine, speravi is lovely.) There is also an old book from Choristers Guild called "Bach for Boys and Girls" of one-and-two-part pieces, including "Ich folge dir gleichfals" that I have used with great enjoyment with a 12-15 member youth choir. In the Segunda, once your choristers get comfortable with somewhat independent parts, I would also recommend the Bentivoglie Pange lingua (IV) (pp. 144-145); Ravanello O salutaris hostia (I) (pp. 145-146); and the Cipolla Ave verum (I) (pp. 151-153).

Also, check out British/Anglican treble music, particularly from OUP and RSCM (the latter represented in the US by GIA). Andrew Carter in particular loves children and youth choirs and writes quite beautiful things. My adult ladies (summer choir) sang his "Thou art the Vine" (which can be done with just melody and countermelody) a while back and it would be wonderful for youth as well.

Keep presenting them with the beauty of holiness--they need it and will love it.
  • Viva Voce at www.sjmp.com is a very good program for children's voices, lots of useful music and good placement of the melodies in their range.
  • Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!!! Much appreciated! I'm sure our young voices will keep coming back for more... I just need to get them started with one & see where the Holy Spirit leads us!
    Blessings to you!