St Michael Hymnal Mass settings: seeking comment/reviews
  • chonakchonak
    The publishers of the St. Michael Hymnal have announced the Mass settings to be included in the new edition this fall. There are scores available and audio samples offered.

Would any forum participants care to offer reviews or other comment on them?
  • Mike R
    The notes I made on my spreadsheet of new settings (in order from favorite to least-favorite, though note that I do like all of them with the exception of the last couple). Also note that my reviews are colored by the fact that I'm from the rural midwest, so I'm a bit more skeptical of settings that would be exceptionally difficult for a smaller parish to pull off. Also note that this was from a very quick listen-through of the pieces, not an in-depth study.

Missa Simplex: A really great setting. Chant-based that could actually draw people into chant.

Mass of the Patriarchs: Excellent, simple, but requires the choral parts. Would perhaps get boring week after week, though.

Siena Chant Mass: Despite being called a “chant Mass,” I think it pretty much begs for accompaniment. Very singable. Not so much a fan of the Agnus Dei.

Mass of St. Michael: This would be a good replacement for the Heritage Mass: dignified, very singable, but not terribly special. Only concern would be how it sounds without the beautiful Ukrainian-style harmony.

Mass of the Great Prophet: A good Lenten setting if you have a good choir.

Mass of the Sacred Heart: More movement than the ICEL settings, but the Gloria still lacks gravitas. Repetitive, but Lee or Simplex Gloria would be easier for a congregation to sing. This is the kind of chant where the parish that would enjoy this setting would rather do it in Latin anyway.

Missa Verbum Caro: A bit boring, and even moreso if you don't have the full choir. Very morose; would be perfect if there were Mass on Good Friday.

Mass of Charity and Love: A good style; would be extremely easy for a parish to pick up.

Mass of the Emmanuel: This setting would be very difficult for a congregation, and doesn't sound that great with a choir either.

Heritage Mass (Revised): I've never been a huge fan, but I do think this is an improvement.

People's Mass (Revised): Blasé'
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I reviewed Missa Simplex and Mass of Charity and Love as part of my WLP roundup:
    http://musicforsunday.com/2011/reviews-of-mass-settings-with-new-translations-wlp-new-settings
  • Francesca
    I was rather disappointed in the St. Michael offerings. And surprised to find Masses based on a hymn tune, for example. What has happened to creativity? Is this really the best there is outside the 'big three'?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is this really the best there is outside the 'big three'?

No.

The best IS outside the big three.

For everyday liturgical use, Psallite is the shizz-nizzle.

For something more choir-oriented, Chris Mueller's setting is ridonkulously beautiful.

Also, CMAA has a list (with links to other lists)
    And so does PrayTell.