ENGLISH Ascension Introit!
  • GavinGavin
    I have just written today an English transcription of the Introit for Ascension to sing on Sunday! So here it is for your usage or comments. A word of explanation on how I write these:

This is my 3rd or so attempt. I used the text from the English Gradual. In general I try to "simplify" the melody for English by shortening melisimas, although it wasn't often necessary here. It's in modern notation because I don't keep a calligraphy pen in the choir loft. I wrote this so that I can sing it on Sunday, so I'll probably write in the various points for the ictus this week. For the psalm, you should use a stylistically similar translation and point it as necessary. I just kept the tone from the English Gradual because I intend to chant 1-5 verses with it and the Gloria Patri.

Feel free to use it as you please. I'd appreciate a mention if it is used, even if you just say "some horrible musician in Michigan with too much time on his hands wrote this dreck." Modify it as you please, just don't attribute that to me. If you have criticisms, fine. If you're going to call me a heretic for using modern notation or English or getting rid of the liquescent, I don't want to hear it, and frankly you should just quit music altogether if you're that uptight. And if you think you can do better, go run off and do so. My hope isn't to be the sole hero whose English paraphrases bring the entire Church to a love of chant, but I do hope some of you feel like experimenting with something similar for either your parishes or those where chant is still repressed by the Powers That Be.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    you can send to me, Gavin. I can put it on musica
  • GavinGavin
    [delete]
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    oh yes it is sure. right at the bottom there where it says attachments.
  • GavinGavin
    Ok, there it is!
  • BealThomas
    The traditional Gregorian propers have been adapted to English, and in my opinion, very well. The Plainchant Gradual, adapted by the Rev. G.H. Palmer and Francis Burgess, St. Mary's Press, Wantage, 1965. These were, and may still be, used at Ascension & St. Agnes & St. Paul's, K Street in DC (both Episcopal), among other Anglo-Catholic parishes in the US.