An interview for church job with the pastor notably absent...
  • Not a good sign, wouldn't you say?
  • JDE
    FWIW I had my first interview for my current job with a committee. The pastor already knew who I was. That could be a good thing or a bad thing, I suppose.
  • It appears the pastor has chosen to let the lay people run the show...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Could be first interviews with lay committee and "callbacks" with the Pastor.
    Where's the line between micromanaging and abdicating authority?
  • It's never a good sign when non-catholic wives refer to the husband's church as the place with all those crazy people. And not in the Cuckoo's Nest kind of craziness.
  • dad29
    I'll go with Adam's speculation here. That also conforms to typical business-interviews, where the Big Guy only sees the 'better three' of the original group.
  • BruceL
    +1 to Adam. A gentlemen in the parish who worked for the diocesan liturgy office phone interviewed me first, then referred me on to pastor for a phone interview, then came for in-person interview. It prevented them having to fly a zillion people to the parish for an interview, in what had already been a year-long process.
  • rollingrj
    If the search committee is of like mind with the pastor, it's no different than getting through the maze which some HR departments put applicants through before you get to the person who will actually hire you.
  • Adam Schwend
    I've had a number of interviews in my day. A few of them, the initial interview was with a "search committee", usually not including the pastor. If I made the second cut, I would meet with the pastor. Other times I would meet with the pastor first. If I met with his expectations, I would meet with a committee.

Committees for music directors aren't bad, especially for larger programs. Directors of larger programs often have to supervise part-time organists and assistant/associate directors. It is understandable that the candidate meet with them and answer their questions to see if the personalities mesh.

With that said, I can't say I've ever gone through an interview process that didn't involve the pastor, and he always has made the final decision, including parishes that I would consider less-than-traditional.