Requiems
  • Alright. So I just joined here, it is very nice indeed.
    I am Joshua M. Abramson, a neo-baroque composer of mostly sacred works. I started out of the Missa Pro Defunctis, I wrote my own (Abramson: Requiem in F Minor) and am the 7th person in history to complete the Mozart requiem, k626.
    I would like to know what Requiems you like, if you have any reccomendations, etc. etc. as a way to possibly get to know the regulars of these forums.
    Feel free to look me up when you get the chance, you may like my work.
    Also, I have WAY too much sacred music on my YouTube, so feel free to check me out on there under the account name 'ComposerJMA".
  • and am the 7th person in history to and am the 7th person in history to complete the Mozart requiem, k626.

Welcome, JMA,
    Would you be so kind as to elaborate on your words above, thanks?
    To answer your question, the Gregorian first, the Faure (such as it is) second.
  • What ellaboration is needed?
    It is difficult if you don't understand the story of Mozart's Requiem. Basically, he died during the Lacrimosa, and His friend Franz Xaver Sussmayer was commissioned to complete it for him. Since then, 6 others have stepped up and completed the Requiem mass themselves, I am the 6th and most recent since sussmayer.
  • Thank you, JMA.
  • Mark P.
    The Missa pro defunctis by Claudio Casciolini was, I believe, performed at the funeral of Healy Willan. See http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Missa-pro-defunctis/18338257
  • I love the casciolini!
    My favorites are Morales, Salieri, Cherubini, Haydn, and Mozart. Although Zelenka, Biber, Romero, and Fux are all wonderful as well.
  • GavinGavin
    Stanford Requiem is my favorite, hands down.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I assume JMA means the Morales 5-part (as opposed to the 4-part) - it's a wonderful piece. My favorite still has to be the Officium defunctorum a 6 by Vittoria.
  • chonakchonak
    The CMAA Sacred Music Colloquium lasts for several days, and we usually perform the Gregorian Requiem if the assigned day for it falls early in the week, but in 2009, the choir under the direction of Wilko Brouwers was able to present a Requiem by Joan Brudieu (ca.1520-1591) on Saturday, June 27 of that year.
  • mahrt
    There is a four-voice Requiem of Orlando di Lasso, in which unusually the Requiem chants are in the alto part. This position of the chant melody makes for unusual sonorities throughout the piece.
  • Ahh, Vittoria and Ockeghem are wonderful, Lassus is a classic as well. Stanford is nice.
  • Guerrero Requiem is also very nice.
  • Indeed