St. James Cathedral sings a paraphrased Gloria?
  • GLORIA to the tune LAUDA ANIMA

Glory be to God in heaven,
    Songs of joy and peace we bring,
    Thankful hearts and voices raising,
    To creation’s Lord we sing:
    Lord, we thank you, Lord, we bless you,
    Glory be to God our king.

Lamb of God who on your shoulders,
    Bore the load of this world’s sin,
    Only Son of God the Father,
    You have brought us peace within.
    Lord, have mercy, Christ, have mercy,
    Now your glorious reign begin.

You, O Son of God, are holy,
    You we praise with one accord,
    None in heav’n or earth is like you,
    Only you are Christ the Lord,
    With the Father, and the Spirit,
    Ever worshipped and adored.

Text by Edwin Le Grice
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Well, that is surely better than having "Angels we have heard on high" sung as the Gloria at Christmas.
  • I could understand this happening here in a diocese where many musicians were not raised or are not Roman Catholic so misunderstandings, but at a Cathedral....it's in direct opposition to Rome.
  • benedictgal
    Talk about thumbing one's nose at Liturgiam Authenticam, Redemptionis Sacramentum and Sacrosanctum Concilium. However, it's just as bad in our Cathedral where the Mariachi band wails an ilicit form of the Gloria in Spanish. This version is an OCP ditty that is really bad. Sadly, it's also going to be sung at the diocesan anniversary Mass.
  • Liam
    (Cringe.)

Though I think the text is scrambled here. I believe this was meant to be displayed in columns, and now is not, so it's, well, a Cubist rendering.....
  • JahazaJahaza
    Noel, what's your source for this?

It's definitely interesting given this, the pastor of St. James Cathedral in Seattle since 1988 is the Rev. Michael G. Ryan, suggestor of "What if We Said, 'Wait'"
  • To quote Ryan out of context, maybe this is his form of: "What if, before implementing the new translations, we do some “market testing?” "

I suggest that we might expect an explanation for this. I can see this Glory to God being sung in an Episcopal church. But hardly in a Roman Catholic one?

Explanation, anyone?

Is that. A puppet?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    That's no ordinary puppet...

That's a Puppet Magna.

http://www.stjames-cathedral.org/Events/2010/picnic10/DSC00760.gif
  • benedictgal
    I actually think that this is St. James, himself. There is a centuries old custom in Spain of having a huge image of St. James processed around for his feast day.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I can see this Glory to God being sung in an Episcopal church.

No.

no no no no no.

No.

Also, re: the puppet:

I vote we start a petition titled
    What if we just said, "No."
  • Though I agree with you, Adam, the use of other music in place of anything in the Episcopal church in the USA is rampant.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Wow...can we like, call the liturgical police about such a thing?
    (oh wait, they don't exist. And if they did...they'd be really busy. sigh.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    FNJ
    Sadly, I know.
  • IanWIanW
    FNJ, Adam: but not, I'd think, in the Usage/Ordinariat parishes.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Has anyone ever been to a church where Mass was offered with priests gathered in a circle around the altar like this?

http://www.stjames-cathedral.org/Events/2011/ordinations2011/DSC05274.jpg

I've never seen that...
  • CharlesW
    That is fairly typical for a concelebrated mass where many priests attend. Usually, it is a special, or diocesan event.
  • Matthewj,

Puppet Magna. ROFL!

Re: concelebrants around the altar, check out the video here, at about the 50th second: http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2010/02/beatification-ceremony-of-st-charbel.html. You may need to turn your sound down, though.
  • Kathy
    Shouldn't the money normally spent on giant puppets be sold to feed the poor?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    The poor you will always have with you, but puppets (praise God!) will not always be with us.
  • BenBen
    @matthewj:

I've never seen that.

I don't see why anyone who does that would be against ad orientem. That's pretty much what it is: all the priests are "turning their back" on the people.

But somehow, I have a feeling they wouldn't jump at the opportunity to do so...
  • benedictgal
    I just saw the music for my diocese's anniversary Mass. It's just horrible. The Gloria is a Spanish paraphrase and the music looks like the OCP greatest hits collection. I am trying to convince my father to get us miles away from this.
  • CharlesW
    Good strategy. Some of our more "progressive" diocesan musicians come and go, and I never meet them. I work at never being in the same place at the same time with them. When I am invited to an event, my standard response is that I have another committment. Not answering the phone and only corresponding by e-mail, helps too.
  • A new diocesan musician, not trained in voice, choral or organ, but still trained, attended the local get to know the new liturgy for musicians meeting and was heard to say, "these are the people who lead music programs in this diocese?"

CharlesW was sure to be absent that day.
  • CharlesW
    I had a previous commitment. :-)
  • benedictgal
    Here is the music:

http://www.dioceseoflaredo.org//?id=212&/August-Mass-2011

My dad and I are fleeing to the hills Oh, by the way, the ads and the website neglected to mention that this is also the Solemnity of the Transfiguration. Check out the YouTube invite in the homepage.
  • benedictgal
    Some folks have privately complained ot me about the lack of quality in the diocesan musical selections. They are pretty bad. They are also using an ilicit Kyrie, Gloria and Great Amen.
  • Adam Schwend
    There are some of us in the Archdiocese of Seattle who work to restore the musical patrimony of the Catholic Church. Instead of drawing attention to the negative, I've vowed to bring attention to those in the Archdiocese who are doing very good work. Just a small sample include Blessed Sacrament in the U-District of Seattle, Our Lady of Fatima in the Magnolia District of Seattle, North American Martyrs Parish, an FSSP parish that, being incredibly new, is still searching for a permanent home, and my own Our Lady Star of the Sea in Bremerton, WA. There are others, so I encourage my colleagues to mention them :-)