Prayers for Ladies Schola
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    This coming Sunday our ladies schola is singing the full Propers for the 5th Sunday after Pentecost. We are giving the men a much needed break while their director is on vacation and we have the opportunity to do it so...why not. Please pray for our endeavors. It is going to be in the mid-90s with high humidity and of course we have no air conditioning, but we have fans.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Ruth, my prayers are with you all. And I'm sure you have many fans ... not just electric ones.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Yep I walked right in to that one. Thank you. To me coming to the singing of chant late in life is a real joy. I've sung many genres of music but never one that is so satisfying as Gregorian Chant.
  • CharlesW
    Prayers for your success.
  • Perhaps you should adopt St Blesilla as a patron- the Daughter of St Paula and sister of St Eustochium, of her St Jerome said that she, "Outshone all her companions in the singing of the Alleluia..." She died in 384. Her mother and sister eventually left Rome under the guidance of St Jerome to found a religious community in Bethlehem. I shall certainly add my prayers to those of the others for you and your schola.
  • Praying for peace, joy, and for those assisting at Mass to be connected to Our Lord by every note that you sing (including all of you ladies). (The practical: take a deep, calm breath at every breath place you have practiced, and refuse to allow nerves/self-consciousness to hurry you, but be at peace. And appoint a person with steady nerves to be the 'restarter' in case of meandering into a strange mode. When my schola was new, that latter piece of advice was the one that gave them the most confidence :-)
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Thank you all for your prayers, information and advice. I've already gotten positive response concerning St. Blesilla and the suggestion of appointing a person as the "restarter" is a very fine idea. Last Sunday we did go wandering for about an incise in the Gradual, fortunately finding the way back. None of the men in their schola knew we had gone astray! God bless you all and I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    We did it with the help of St. Blesilla, St. Gregory the Great and St. Jerome. There was only one little hitch in the Alleluia but we got back on fast. The ladies have decided we will be praying to all three saints because St. Blesilla sang the Alleluia, St. Gregory the Great is patron saint of singers and St. Jerome because, I would imagine, many of the texts of the propers are from the Latin Vulgate (I know some are texts from the Vetus Latina). Thank you so much for your prayers. We will be singing all of the propers next week but just as simple psalm tones and then on the 7th Sunday after Pentecost we will again attempt all of the full chants.

God bless,
    Ruthy