On Paraphrased Psalms
  • Claire H
    Could anyone point me to clear directives on the use of songs/hymns "based" off Psalms in place of the Responsorial Psalm proper to the day? There is a musician at my parish who regularly does this (using GIA songs) and I would like to address it.

"Sing to the Lord" has only a brief line concerning this and seems to make allowance for "paraphrased" Psalms, which seems to open the door for abuse in this area.

159. Songs or hymns that do not at least paraphrase a psalm may never be used in place of the Responsorial Psalm.

The line in GIRM is brief also:

61. The responsorial Psalm should correspond to each reading and should, as a rule, be taken from the Lectionary.
  • benedictgal
    The caveat with Sing to the Lord is that it never received recognitio from Rome. It is only binding when it refers to the authoritative documents of the Holy See. Thus, where it contradicts the authoritative documents of the Holy See, these overrule Sing to the Lord.
  • Some people will never understand things merely to irk others.

It's simple. The GIRM is clear. A Psalm should be sung. And it should, usually, be the psalm specified by the lectionary.

So for these that want to sing their own songs instead, put it in language that they will understand:

You go to the doctor because you are fearing for your life.

The doctor writes you a prescription. Being female, you can actually READ her writing.

You go to your pharmacist. A person who is trained and licensed to dispense drugs.

She looks at the scrip and says, "Do you want the name brand or a generic?"

It's not a hard decision. When questioned, she explains that one costs more than the other, but they are identical drugs.

She does not look at the prescription and say, "Do you want the name brand, the generic, or want to have a look among the herbal remedies to see if you can find something there on a label that looks to you that it might cure you instead of what your doctor has prescribed?"

It's not a responsorial song or hymn. It's a psalm. Who wrote the psalms? You trust a doctor to tell you what will heal your body. You are going to trust someone to paraphrase a Psalm? Protestant ministers study hebrew to get closer to the original meaning of Psalms. Catholics paraphrase them for no good reason.

But then. Remember, it's their Mass, not the Church's. They, like Burger King customers, get to do it their way.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Now THAT made me smile!!!
  • CharlesW
    I don't like the paraphrased psalms, but the pastor has decreed the sung psalms must come from the RitualSong hymnal. Perhaps a third of those psalms are good, a third are mediocre, and the remaining third are wretched. I don't think using the revised Grail psalter is binding until the new lectionary is published. So it appears I am stuck with RS for the time being.
  • kevinfkevinf
    "Protestant ministers study hebrew to get closer to the original meaning of Psalms. Catholics paraphrase them for no good reason."

Because after all, Catholics cannot manage to comprehend the text. Sort of like singing the refrain GLoria. Catholics cannot bear these difficult texts. We must make it simple for them.