Closing Music
  • musings
    With the advent of the new translation, Adam's SEP, the Choral Propers, JMO's and Oost-Zinner et al Psalms, many things for Mass are falling into place.

What are y'all doing for the end of Mass? Hymns? Silence? Instrumental postlude? Choir piece?
  • I would say, from my own flawed view, that 99 out of 100 people attending Mass would love to be able to walk out listening to the organ.

And I would encourage them since they came for Mass and the Mass is over.
  • JDE
    Prayer (preferably in relative silence) and/or choral motet would be good. Aren't we supposed to stay and pray after Mass?

This would require quite a bit of retraining, however, so I am not holding my breath. My congregation often seem to want to beat the Presbyterians to the breakfast table.
  • IanWIanW
    The seasonal Marian antiphon, unnacompanied, in Latin. Mind you, this is the once-a-month chant mass, and it's a particular tradition of the Order who have care of our parish. Words, music and and translation are provided and the congregation joins in quite well when it's the Salve Regina; a little more sketchily otherwise!
  • CharlesW
    Our 4 morning masses are relatively close together. The church and parking lots need to empty fast, so the next mass congregation can park, get inside, and get seated. I usually play something loud as a postlude. If I can't drive them out with the trumpet, I pull on the mixture. ;-)
  • Here is something I found in an old Argentine hymnal. If you have Noteworthy Player (it's a free download from NWC) then you can see and hear it at this link:

Oremus pro Pontifice

Kindly pardon the crudeness of the transcription. This morning I can't remember how to get NWC to do an organ legato.

On my last music gig I was about to try putting this in as an ending to the mass. I ended up leaving the area (for reasons not pertaining to music) and never got to try it.

The text is the familiar psalm adaptation, "Dominus conservet eum." Duration 30 seconds.