NPM locks us out...since we are self-published.
  • Just released by NPM:

Musical Settings of the Revised Order of Mass 2010
    A listing of commercially published settings of the revised Order of Mass 2010 for use in the dioceses of the United States of America.

Updated Friday, June 22, 2011

The listing is intended to be a work in progress with new settings being added as they are announced or published. We welcome your additions or corrections.

Self published works by individuals will not be published – we need to have some parameters on how many settings to list. The descriptions utilize designations from the publishers themselves. What one publisher calls a woodwind, another may call a C Instrument. Likewise, some instrumental parts are identified as optional, others are not. All settings assume congregation and cantor, thus they are not listed in the performing forces. Some settings indicate priest-celebrant, indicating musical settings of preface dialogue, mysterium fidei, doxology, etc.

As we launch this project, we would also benefit from knowing what information you would like to see included. (Sections set in Latin, Greek, other languages, are there choir only sections, is the work recorded, etc…)

Publishers represented to date:

CanticaNOVA
    GIA Publications, Inc.
    Good for the Soul
    Liturgical Press
    MorningStar Music Publishers
    Oregon Catholic Press
    World Library Publications
    For additional submissions, information or corrections, contact

Michael Silhavy
    Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis
    328 W. Kellogg Blvd.
    Saint Paul, MN 55102
    651-290-1625
    silhavym@archspm.org
  • Jeffrey Quick
    The "no space" argument doesn't wash on the Internet. Basically, they're using publishers as curators, so that they don't have to think about the quality or suitability of the settings. You've got a press; is there anything you can submit? Likewise the CMAA is a press, but I don't recall any Ordinaries. It might be interesting to see if they'll implement their own guidelines systematically and fairly.
  • Good point....we are not held to the requirement to pay royalties on the Mass texts as we are giving it away to churches who are allowed to use the text without royalty.

Possibly a collection of available ones offered by CMAA members would be appropriate?
  • This isn't quite as it appears, Noel.
    I covered this disparity over a week ago at PTB.
  • Peanut butter, Toast and Bran?

PTB - the airport designation code for Pittsburgh?

A sign that means Dead End, PTB?

And, if this is Pray Tell, why, Pray Tell, would I be expected to be reading it?

Feel like giving us the explanation in 25 words or less....the Reader's Digest version?
  • rollingrj
    Feel like giving us the explanation in 25 words or less....the Reader's Digest version?

I've got the over.

Possibly a collection of available ones offered by CMAA members would be appropriate?

Great idea.
  • Then don't give a hoot, Noel.
    And no, I don't do Reader's Digest.
    Bad Charles

Readers Not Digested
  • Bumped up, added content to previous post
  • IanWIanW
    I'm pleased that you post there, bad Charles, but I beg tolerance for those of us who don't follow it, either on principled grounds or because life's just too blessed short.
  • For context....
    We, whatever we want to call "ourselves" have had to, continue to do so, and will so in the future, have to WORK with these folks and those of other divergent sensibilities in our arenas.
    I think it's infantile to traffic in detriment, mockery, prejudice and presupposition about anyone's integrity in such a public yet protected environment, one that is ostensibly Catholic.
    And should anyone even breathe in the words "Well, if we were truly charitable, we'd....." ....well, just don't.
    If we want tolerance, we must offer tolerance.
    BadChaz
  • "I think it's infantile to traffic in detriment, mockery, prejudice and presupposition about anyone's integrity in such a public yet protected environment, one that is ostensibly Catholic."

Have no idea what you are talking about.

NPM Is not listing self-published music and admitting it. That's all.
  • Peanut butter, Toast and Bran?

PTB - the airport designation code for Pittsburgh?

A sign that means Dead End, PTB?

And, if this is Pray Tell, why, Pray Tell, would I be expected to be reading it?

This help?
  • You wrote PTB.

I have heard of PT.

Not PTB.

It was not a slam towards Pray Tell....I was merely trying to figure out what PTB was, LOL! you tend to be accurate and the B threw me.

I don't read it. Doesn't mean I was being infantile...I just am limited in what I spend time doing it and that blog is not one that I frequent. I see no requirement that people that read this blog have to read any others....
  • You got me, Noel. You're right, I should have been more explicit. Mea culpa, etc.
    You've got the bead on it all, Noel. Always have.
    I don't know what got into me.
    There are no requirements whatsoever that apply to these deliberations here, there and everywhere.
    Sorry to have disturbed the force....
    Over and out.
    BC
  • chonakchonak
    Is the list an NPM project? It looks as if it's maintained by a staffer of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.

I can understand leaving out works published independently by composers, at least for the sake of limiting the size of the directory, or under the supposition that works published by organizations have had at least a little quality-checking of the score.

The list includes smaller firms such as CanticaNova, so they may be willing to include other small publishers such as Watershed or CMAA.
  • IanWIanW
    @BadCharles: I think it's infantile to traffic in detriment, mockery, prejudice and presupposition about anyone's integrity in such a public yet protected environment, one that is ostensibly Catholic.

I quite agree, my vieux terrible. That's why I don't go there. But my point was Noel's, that you should spare a thought for those who won't necessarily recognise the TLA.
  • The Lonely Aardvark?
  • Paul F. Ford
    I have not read this thread carefully (I have just awakened from sleep, jet-lagged after a week at Notre Dame) but I think it is saying that CMAA and the Simple English Propers are being excluded from the NPM convention in Louisville next month.

I just want everyone to know that I sang the praises of the SEP at Notre Dame and will do so on all four of my presentations at Louisville. Here is the slide from my plenary address at Notre Dame.

I'll see what I can do to set up a table at Louisville and sell the book myself, if I have to.
  • Thanks to those pointing out the problem and those willing to go out of their way to get out the good news that there are free resources of quality for the average parish.
    Before I took my current position of DoM in a FSSP parish I was DoM in two 'regular' city parishes. I'd wager that many (most?) people don't use CMAA resources because they simply don't know about them.
    So, calling for fairness and doing the legwork that enables average parish or other community to utilize inexpensive and more fitting music for the liturgy is really important.
    I went to the PT post and found Charles' and Adam's comments challenging in a helpful way. If that's gets people thinking in a broader way, more power to you guys for staying engaged with PT when others (like me) just don't find it worth the time.
    Respectfully,
    Singing Mum
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Richard: I think Pray Tell may be connected with Liturgical Press, since PT is one of the only four blogs LP has on its links page.
  • MarkThompson
    Right up there with Call to Action, I see.
  • Sounds to me like we need some volunteers to be at the NPM conference, handing out a flyer with quotations from Vatican II and Pope Benedict XVI, along with titles of and links to free or affordable resources for "singing the Mass, not just singing at Mass"!

Paul, if you will be there, Godspeed; I hope and pray you will speak with many and send many people to the musicasacra.com resources, the SEP, etc. If we could even get a simple message like "real English chant exists, for the very texts contained in the missal, and YOU can do it!" to 1 out of 10 DoMs, what a difference that could make in the landscape in a few years.

Peter
  • Audio downloads in addition to the Videos would be useful to choir directors to get their people and choirs on board. Where are they available?

Should we create a one page download here on singing the Mass from the Roman Missal? I'd be willing to do the PR to get the word out as this becomes available....and this should include links to Mass Guides...