Corpus Christi Sequence Question
  • This Sunday, our parish will celebrate an EF Low Mass. Because we are having an outdoor procession following it, we are celebrating the Feast of Corpus Christi in place of the normal calendar day. Because this is a Low Mass and it is not on the actual day (EF Calendar) of Corpus Christi, can the Sequence be omitted? Or, must all 20+ verses be read - in Latin?
  • mahrt
    In low Masses on the weekdays in the octave of Corpus Christi, the sequence may be omitted. The EF, however, does not provide for the occasion of transferring the feast from Thursday to Sunday. I should think that because it is the celebration of the feast itself, the sequence should be said.
  • The rubrics of the 1962 missal allow for one celebration of the "outward solemnity" of the feast on the Sunday following, and is allowed for all great feasts. However, only ONE Mass is allowed, the other masses and vespers are of the Sunday. At St Stephen the First Martyr, Sacramento, an EF parish, the Solemn Mass of Corpus Christi will be on Sunday. At St Stephen's this is the only "outward solemnity" of the feast we move to Sunday, except for the Finding of the Relics of St Stephen, the patronal Feast in August.
  • Just as an aside, a friend sent me this link to the program for Thursday's celebration of Corpus Christi by the Holy Father:
    Corpus Christi Program
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    My understanding is the "External Solemnity" of Corpus Christi can be celebrated on the Sunday. Of course, I could be wrong. I think the same for the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.