Executing On Organ
  • My interest in the organ dates back several years. In late 2007, I began taking lessons. I had some piano experience from several years prior. But, I had forgotten most of what I had learn. Though, it wasn't too much of a problem because initially wanted to learn to play, I just wanted to accompany chant and maybe a hymn or two. I didn't want to be an "organist" per se. Even so, since it had been so long since I had touched a piano, I did some remedial training to help and it did. With out that supplemental training in keyboarding and music theory, I would have been completely lost.

Now, nearly four years later, I am in a much better position. But I still have one fundamental problem. I can read the notes on the sheet music. I can play the keys on the manual and pedal. But doing both at the same time is a big challenge. It takes hours of work just to be able to figure out the first several bars of a piece of music. Even only playing every once in a while, this is not where I should be after four years. Suggestions for things that will help me figure out how to execute faster?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Practice with the pedal and one hand or the other all the time. I'm no pedagogue, but I'm told that it's a common mistake to practice pedals alone too much, and one will develop better coordination between hands and feet if the feet are always engaged.
  • lmassery
    David Andrew is right, practice each hand alone with pedal.
  • CharlesW
    I agree, but here's something I have found helpful. My organ professor had us practice the Gleason pedal scales with hand scales going in contrary motion. It's hard to get the hang of, but it does help you play better.
  • dad29
    Charles, are you absolutely consistent in where you position yourself on the bench--IOW, centerline of your body aligned on middle C or the D above it--whichever you were taught?

Because then you should be able to read the music and play by feel.
  • Good advise. I will try some of these things. Please keep the suggestions coming and I will try to implement them.

As for consistent positioning, I position myself the same way. It's just that I have really bad coordination (not just with the organ). It's almost as if I have slightly impaired fine motor skills.
  • A good teacher should give you the skills you need, and guidance with your problems ---
    You shouldn't be plagued with this after four years' study unless you are attempting literature that is too advanced for you.
  • CharlesW
    dad29, I do play by feel. The contrary motion was for practice years ago when I wasn't so familiar with the instrument.

Does anyone else remember the Flor Peeters "Little Organ Book." That was a great text for beginning students. It is still in print, btw.

With my interests in French music, I find that Vierne and Widor don't allow much time for looking at pedals.
  • Almost invariably the problem is speed.

Work with a metronome set at a slow, set speed, eliminates a ton of problems on any instrument except the voice!

I remember the first time I successfully played a trio. It was as if my hands and feet were working on their own.
  • GavinGavin
    What may help also that hasn't been mentioned is playing in octaves pedal/manual. Take a hymn melody, and play it with both - slowly at first if necessary, but eventually up to a performance tempo. That might help coordination. It's also a FANTASTIC hymn accompaniment method.
  • Anything else?
  • Guadalupe
    Mark your pedal notes with a caret or circle. Mark fingerings on any passage that you stumble over more than twice. Be consistent with pedaling and fingering.

Play the first phrase of a relatively easy hymn, like "Holy God, We Praise thy Name." Repeat until it's flawless and you can play the pedal notes without thinking about it. Proceed to the next phrase. Alternatively, start with the LAST phrase and repeat until effortless. Back up to the previous phrase, then play to the end of the piece. Back up one more phrase, etc.

Learn the piece at a slow tempo. It's easy to speed it up after it's learned.
  • Guadalupe
    Organist2008, do you have a good pair of pedaling shoes?
  • I do have organ shoes to play the pedals with. I don't understand what you mean about marking the pedal notes. They will all be on the third staff or the bottom of the second staff.
  • Guadalupe
    I mean that you need to mark whether you're playing with left toe (caret under note), left heel (circle under note), right toe (caret above note), or right heel (circle above note.) You need to be absolutely consistent about how you play the pedal line, so as to imprint it in your muscle memory.
  • I thought I might mention my favorite textbook, The technique and art of organ playing, by Clarence Dickenson. Published about 1917 and still good. Last time I looked it was out of print but there were copies on Amazon and/or Ebay.
  • Ree
    Hi all! Organist, I had to register just to respond to your query - it could have been written by me many years ago! Real trained organist musicians, please stop reading now because what I'm about to suggest will make you absolutely nuts.

I've been playing for 30 years improvising using guitar chords for the left hand. I was in lessons and had the same issues as you - but as soon as my piano teacher showed me how to chord, I never played bass clef again!

Look at your sheet music and see if it has guitar chords above the staff. If not, I bet somewhere there is a set of guitar music for your church's adopted songbook. Here's what you do. If the music calls for a "D" chord, I would play the D, F# and A keys on my left hand. D on the pedal. For a "C" it would be a C, E and G. Once you learn the major chords, the minors are easy to figure out - take the second note of the chord down a half step. So your Dm (D minor) is played with a D, F natural, and A. You can find a chord chart on line that will give you the right fingerings. After learning for a bit, you'll figure out how to play chords without having to reposition your hand each time. What I mean is this - an Aminor is played with an A, C and E. You can play that in any combination, so a C chord (CEG) becomes an Aminor (CEA) just by moving your left thumb up from a G to an A.

Once you learn the frequently used chords (which will get you through half of the songs you'll want to play) you can start learning the others. I didn't take long at all for me to "feel" the positions on my left hand, and the pedal just followed naturally.

Good luck! And apologies to the real musicians I know are here :)
  • CharlesW
    Whatever works! Given the number of organ method books written over the centuries, it's clear that there never was a single "right" way to play the organ. That was not helped by the fact that organs have been more or less playable over time, depending on builder, time period, and construction. I know there were times I wanted to consign, if not Harold Gleason, at least his organ method book to the eternal flames. As a polio survivor, I simply can not do some of the pedal techniques he taught. You do have to experiment and find what works best for you.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I started playing organ in college, and I found it extremely frustrating for about a year or so. I did all the usual, you know, left hand with pedal, right hand with pedal, etc. and it was just very frustrating.

But...after about a year of practicing *regularly,* one day it just clicked and I was like, "hey, I can read organ music without practicing it a million times!"

It was totally worth it. So...my advice? Just keep chugging away. I really don't belive that there are any magic secrets.
  • francis
    Hymn playing should be done as follows:

Right Hand playing SA and Left Hand playing Tenor and lower notes of A when reach is too large for right hand. Pedals play the bass line.

Practice SLOWLY all combinations with a metronome as slow as necessary to play the piece perfectly. RH alone, LH alone, Pedal alone, RH with LH, RH with Pedal, LH with Pedal, then All together! For difficult passages, it is better to memorize the music so one can concentrate on the technique and less (motor memory) on the notes.

You should use organ shoes to 'feel' the peds, although that has not always been the case in times past.

Sitting over the C pedal is critical as well as consistent distance of the hips horizontally and vertically from the pedalboard.
  • I know how to play in theory. I know about practicing left hand alone, right alone, both hands, left together with pedal, etc. I have a few organ technique books at my disposal. My greater concern is taking what I know from my head to my hands and feet.
  • francis
    Well, then its just practice, practice, practice.
  • Your level of frustration may indicate a need for a short course of lessons from a teacher to get you over this hump.

Is there any chance that the organ you practice on has MIDI and is able to play itself from disks/thumbdrive?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I find playing hands (or hand) or feet alone does me very little good. I get really good at playing them apart, but putting them together is still difficult. The way my brain works, I just have to practice very slowly with both hands and feet at all times. I need to see how they all interact - and just practicing them separately doesn't do that for me.
  • Guadalupe
    Like matthewj, I also find it most beneficial to dive in and learn both hands and feet simultaneously. If a particular passage presents difficulty, only then will I play individual parts.
  • Allan DAllan D
    This might seem obvious, but I just want to suggest that when you're learning a new piece of music, begin with a soft registration. As it becomes easier, gradually add stops until you have the sound you want. For me, at least, it's always easier to focus when I'm not hearing my mistakes at full volume.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    ((Wrong Thread))
  • ))wrong needle((
  • Nisi
    Advice from two of my teachers:

George Faxon: "Fernando Germani [one of the best organists of his generation, certainly the best Italian one; author of a long organ method] said that there were two things one needed to know about how to play the organ: How to play legato; and where to sit on the bench." For the first, well, that's controversial now. For the second, take a long, long time to figure it out. The bench must be tried in infinite positions, factoring in bench height and distance from the keyboards.

Heinrich Fleischer: "(1) Practice the hands [together] alone; (2) practice the feet alone; (3) practice the right hand & feet alone; (4) put it all together. Practicing the left hand & pedal is of little use." I've found his advice correct. (I have one friend who disagrees, saying that a left hand & pedal alone practice is also valuable.)
  • francis
    left hand and pedal practice is good for independent voices such as bach trio sonatas
  • Dupre required his students to practice with the organ turned off.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Not sure how helpful this would be with hymns, but when I was learning a rather difficult trio-sonata-texture piece, my teacher recommended practicing it with one of the three voices at a much louder registration than the others. It was quite interesting, cuz it made you hear the piece in a completely different way!
  • The Davis book is the Cadillac of all...
  • francis
    Dupre was excessive... No need to turn it off. Just play with the 8 foot flute. Can you imagine Bach playing with the organ OFF!? He probably practiced on the pedal harpsichord.
  • There is a silent communion between the fingers and keys when the organ is off....

• GavinGavin
    That is an OUTSTANDINGLY interesting book! I read it while preparing a Bach recital, and his insights are invaluable to organists and harpsichordists alike.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Don't overlook Dupré's book of annotated organ scales, which book is easily obtainable in secondhand form and might well be available online as a big PDF file somewhere these days.
  • LarsLars
    Very old thread this, but I'm in a similar situation. Something in my brain just hasn't clicked yet. Playing 'Soul of My Saviour" in F major with a walking bass line on manuals only is really child's play, as soon as I introduce the pedals everything just falls apart, even the keyboard part. It's frustrating to say the least. Whole notes or half notes in the pedals are fine though. Something like "O Holy Night" is rather easy to do with pedals. I hope with practice it will come to me. Merry Christmas all.
  • Flaming hot take: learn to read lead sheet notation, and then assign chord symbols for your music or play the hymns that you can find in something like Gather guitar accompaniment book. This is vastly easier than actually reading music and frees the mind to focus on what your hands and feet are doing. This is how I made it from piano to organ to now sometimes using both pedals and hands when I play organ. I'm no master organist. I just sometimes throw in a traditional hymn on organ for our contemporary choir.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • davido
    Practice is the only answer. It has taken me a HUGE amount of practice time - part time since 2014 and full time with my position the last year. I was not a pianist so it has been an uphill battle on organ the whole way, but the good news is I am now gaining facility in hands and feet reading and playing prepared music. The hours that I spent on Lo How A Rose in 2015 have payed dividends on all hymns that I play now. And the coordination developed transfers into all rep. But it takes time to get to this point...
    Thanked by 2Lars JonathanKK
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I agree with davido. There are definitely tricks that can speed things up in the short-term, like (as described by Noel Jones, AAGO) playing the bass line with your left hand in addition to your feet, but practice is what's really going to help you get there. I started as a singer/pianist and took a couple years of (rather inconsistent) practice to really find my footing as an organist. You'll get there.
    Thanked by 1Lars
  • CharlesW
    I found that much of the French music I like to play was written mostly for manuals. When the console was rebuilt, I had a pedal 16' made playable on the Swell so I could play those parts on the manuals. I was driving myself nuts trying to play some of those bass lines on pedals.