My bacalaureat Mass in 1971!
  • My bacalaureat Mass in 1971 at A Marist High School:

"He Aint heavy he's my Brother"
    "Bridge over Troubled Waters"
    Communion Antiphon " Blowin in the Wind" as in "The ants are my friends- they're blowin' in the wind."
    "People gotta be Free:" the Rascals

This music did so much violence to us and the liturgy. It was all realized with no resistance. Just five years prior I sang in a 60 voice boys Gregorian choir and we all prayed the Latin Mass.
  • At least the Rascals were not banal.
  • Exactly! The text were not too heretical but the melodies were like an assault on the soul.
  • Kathy
    This kind of malarkey is the basis for the largely meritorious claim that the St. Louis Jesuits were a step in the right direction. Very nice to hear some historical documentation, though how exactly we went from the documents of Vatican II to flower children remains a great mystery.
  • Geez, I'm glad I never posted on the repertoire at St. Francis de Sales Cathedral. It would likely prove catastrophically nauseating that "When I'm Sixty-four," "Sounds of Silence," and "As Tears Go By" (imagine, The Rolling Stones at Mass!!! It's almost so outre it's cool) were in regular rotation!
    Now I'm so geeked I'm going to find my old fuzz stomp box and do "Satisfaction" for the recessional Sunday.
    "When I'm risin' in the sky, and the Man comes on the radio...." (Western time zone Ascension, argggh.)
  • kevinfkevinf
    I can remember an Ascension Day mass that had the song "I'm leaving on a Jet Plane". Somewhere about 1972 I believe. As an 12 year old I was amazed.
  • "how exactly we went from the documents of Vatican II to flower children remains a great mystery."

Revolt against the establishment. Fear of government - state and church. Hero priests and nuns were no longer from the movies, but were breaking laws to make change and respected for it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I can imagine Dan, Tim, Bob, and the rest of the gang in St. Louis finishing up a rousing Mass about Peter, Paul, and Mary (the latter ones) and one of them gets a brilliant idea...
    "Hey, man. What if we sang songs about.... you know .... Jesus?"
    "Far out, man!"

And now the Episcopalians have U2charist, and think its progress.

(Preface this with remembering that I do, in fact, program a wide variety of musical styles at my Episcopalian parish, including everything from plainchant to polyphony to SLJ and Haas....)
    I was asked the other night (by an over-60, life long Episcopalian) if I'd could do a "folk mass."
    "I'm sorry," I said, "I don't know what that is."
  • Mike R
    I have an entire file cabinet of the 70s stuff at the Newman Center. It's fun for parties.
  • I remember well at school Masses in the 70's and early 80's singing the same selections mentioned above, and I might add that we also sang "For Every Season, Turn, Turn, Turn", "If I Had a Hammer", "Up, Up & Away" (Reserved usually for Ascension Thursday, which at least in those days was still actually on Thursday) and a myriad of other such ditties. Scripture readings for the Mass were generally selected from ZEN AND THE ART OF MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE, PEOPLE MAKING (Virginia Satir), and THE TAO OF POOH. I would ESPECIALLY cringe when I heard proclaimed- "The Holy Gospel according to JONATHAN LIVINGSTON SEAGULL..."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Holy crap, really?
  • kevinfkevinf
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull...Wow, that brings back memories.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I remember singing Danny Boy and other secular Irish songs during Communion in the 1990s on the Sunday closest to St. Patrick's Day, so it's not only a 1970s thing.
  • Mike R
    Just a few years ago, my home parish children's choir had "Let It Be" for the Feast of Mary, Mother of God.
  • A name that haunts?
    Rod McKuen!
    Run away...
  • Just four or five short years before these strange liturgies I sang Gregorian chant in a 60 voice boys choir, the older boys sang the propers and everyone past the fourth grade had three ordinaries memorized. Yet we accepted this mess so easily. By 1971 this was not unusual fare for a youth Mass. We sang with a big brass section, folk and funk guitars, mikes and mixers-a real sense of show biz but our sense holiness was thoroughly shredded. We did not have militant liturgist back then. The priests and faculty all were moving with this zeitgeist.
    Have you seen anything change this fast in the church?

The memories have a similar emotional texture as real abuse.
  • Kathy
    "Up, up and away" on Ascension Thursday! ROFLMAO.OL.
  • Kathy
    So these were the stages:

1) Chant
    2) The Council
    3) Salvation of Souls through Folk Music
    4) Broadway (this stage survives)
    5) The St. Louis Jesuits
    6) Haugen
    7) Chepponis
    8) (this chapter has yet to be written)
  • 3)Social Activism/Ecumenism through Folk Music
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Folk music was a communist plot.
  • Kathy, 3. Amend "folk" with proto-litfolk: Repp, Wise, Temple, Miffleton, Landry etc. Switch 4/5. The pinnacle of the SLJ (Silver nor Gold, Earthen Vessels, Wood Hath Hope) predates the advent of the faux-Broadway, generally ascribed to the compositional vocabulary of Mike Joncas ("I have loved you, with an everlsting love, etc.) Also, Haas and Haugen broke shortly after Joncas ('79) in '81. I also would leave Chepponis/Marchianda (WLP) off the epochal list, not nationally acclaimed, really. At 7, I'd put Bob Hurd/Jaime Cortez as the next phase. 8 would clearly be St. Thomas More (B.Farrell/C.Walker/P.Inwood/E.Sands). 9. The "Utilitarians"- Kevin Keil, Tom Kendzia, Scott Soper, Lawrence Rosania, Randy DeBruyn, Steven Janco. 10. John Bell/Iona, Liam Lawton, other "Celts." 11- Arlene OZ, Jeffrey Ostrowski, Adam Bartlett, Aristotle Esguerra et al.
    And, hmmmmm? 12? "It's all about me!" (That's a double entendre, for the faint of heart.)
  • It is interesting to see my name listed here.

Let's not forget the good work done by the following composers who were especially influential in the 1970s and 1980s: Lucien Deiss, Howard Hughes, Alexander Peloquin, and Richard Proulx.
  • Dear Fr Jim,
    No disrespect was intended by my qualification. Please accept my apology if it seemed so.
    Mea culpa.
    You are spot on with your pantheon- I was honored Fr Deiss asked me to be his cantor for a WLP weeklong workshop late 70's, what a wonderful soul he is.
  • Charles,

Thanks for your mea culpa, but no apology is necessary, as I didn't sense any disrespect at all in your comments -- just your honest appraisal, which is fine. Whether or not I'm listed among those "nationally acclaimed" doesn't matter to me.

By the way, I generally appreciate your thoughtful posts on this blog, which I follow daily.

I'm sure your experience with Fr. Deiss as a cantor for his workshop was interesting. When I was in college seminary, he came and conducted a one-day workshop which was advertised as a "Deiss Day." I was his organist for the day, and his spontaneity certainly kept me on my toes (and heels!) [Bad organ pedal joke, sorry!]

The name of my college seminary was St. Fidelis (now closed). We unofficially advertised the workshop as "A Deiss Day: Fidelis" [bad pun, I know, as well as wrong spelling of ADESTE FIDELES!]
  • Thanks for the absolution. I very much enjoyed singing your Mass at Pitt NPM 99 closing, my last national NPM convention. I do love Pittsburgh, despite my total allegiance to Oakland and my resolute objection to the ref's call in the Immaculate Reception AFC Championship, considering my life ended that day and I've been a shell of my former self ever since. Too bad my separated shoulder didn't agree with Pittsburgh's waterfront street last June, tho' everyone at scene and at Mercy Hospital were so magnificent with the recalcitrant Californian.

You know who I'd add to your "classic" list, tho' they likely never sold tons?
    Thomas Savoy, Ralph Verdi, and my bud Leo Nestor.
  • So, when liturgical music became a market comodity it yeilded fashion trends instead of art art prayer? Is that what these (above) lists are sayng?
  • Great question, Ralph! I would answer you with "Not necessarily." We have to remember that JSBach, whom Metropolitan Hilarion ranks as Numero Uno on the All-Time Pantheon of Sacred Music Composers, was essentially a "market commodity." As I recall, he moved up the economic food chain from Weimar to Köthen to Leipzig within the church's bosom. Can't say his art suffered from all that entailed and his dramatic tenure at Leipzig.
    One other perspective, from that of a practicioner, has compelled me to hardly ever reject the possibility that among a constant stream of product from lit or sacred composers a genuine artistic gem can be found. Don't automatically dismiss who a publisher deems is a golden goose name/motherlode of income as being incapable of elevating their genre to prayer that is also art. Michael Joncas' recent choral collections come to mind.
    Perspective Secunda, that of a minor composer. Tho' I've wondered and sometimes lamented that I didn't push my stuff "out there" for whatever excuses, I've always been self-assured (not easy for me) to realize, again like Hilarion mentioned at CUA, that one's "own" music is gifted to us from out there, and returns to that cosmos in one way or another. So, commercial success and marketability doesn't float my boat, but I don't begrudge anyone who must sail those waters.
    What I'm grateful to see is the shift towards honest, homegrown publishing that bypasses "the system" and its middle managers. It's regretable that real people lose jobs and careers in these changing economies, but we all have to reinvent ourselves throughout all our lives. Heck, ain't that a biblical, gospel mandate?
    Cheers, Ralph
    C
  • Charles: no objection to profit and capitalism: These are central Gospel values taught to us by the miracle of the loaves where Jesus saw a need, collected capital investments, and collected a profit (the leftovers). Or the parable of the talents. Yet in the temple, that market had to be cleansed. It is the commodity aspect that weakens the whole texture, not just in church but in the the whole creative market.
  • No argument from me on your last point, Ralph. However, I'd be darn interested in Jeffrey Tucker's take on "commodity aspect" weakening the whole creative market as per the Lady Gaga factor! I'm hoping a late night seminar forth he will hold upon THAT reality. (Thus spaketh Yoda, not Zarathustra)

Speaking of popular culture...
    At least the Rascals were not banal.

I loved those boys! True American genius counteracting the British Invasion.
    However, I hated it when they sanitized their original moniker, "The Young Rascals," just as did one of the greatest bands ever, "Chicago Transit Authority."
    It, I suppose, seemed a good idea at the time to their handlers.
    BTW, imagine, Noel, what Felix Caviliere would have done if he'd gone classical instead of Booker T.!!!
    Or Lee Michaels, Keith Emerson...
    But they sure made growing up in the seventies endurable.
  • At my first Communion in 1971:
    "Take Our Bread"
    "We Are Your Flesh Now"
    (ready for this) "Turn Turn Turn" by the Byrds

All done on guitar at the 11:00 Mass, which was done in English that Sunday only. Normally it was in Polish.

BTW, of the names Fr. Jim mentioned, I like all four. Too bad I don't think Hughes or Peloquin really got enough exposure (Peloquin was far more than just "Gloria of the Bells").
    BMP
  • 2011: We recently sang a confirmation and we were able to use the
    introit, (Kelley. for Confirmation during Paschal Time)
    A Gregorian communion
    and Mass VIII
    Ubi Caritas, and
    Veni Creator.
    All but the final hymn was acapella.
    None of the DRE's or Liturgist from any of the participating parishes interfered by suggesting pop songs or favorite hymns. The schola was instructed to provide the music, no string attached. No arguments, no need to persuade no polarization. Just enthused orders from all in administration to sing like we always do!
    "City of God" The "Celtic Alleluia," "We are a Chosen People." "Mass of Creation" were never even mentioned!
  • eft94530eft94530
    Kevin: Ascension Day mass that had the song "I'm leaving on a Jet Plane".

I have mentioned in recent weeks this same pairing of occasion and song.
    Some people with whom I was talking were incredulous.

In Summer 1969 a family move brought me to a parish school in which
    my classmates already had several years experience of leading school masses
    with guitar (acoustic and electric). These older graders mentored the younger
    grade guitarists probably in the same way they had been.

For me, ILOAJP had to have been either Spring 1970 (grade 7) or Spring 1971 (grade 8),
    and the earlier liturgical experience is the more likely after a quick read through
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_on_a_Jet_Plane
    which specifies these dates ...
    1966 composition by John Denver
    Nov-Dec 1969 release of the single by Peter Paul and Mary.

Those classmates had a large singles collection, regularly enhanced,
    and frequently used on the classroom record player during recess and lunch.

Kathy: went from the documents of Vatican II to flower children

The ink was barely dry on Sacrosanctum Consilium
    and Pope Paul VI called for implementation.
    Catholics were ill-prepared to engage with the world (and convert it)
    and instead brought the world into the church.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I've written probably all I should write on Lady Gaga!

I'm glad for this thread in many ways. It documents a real if slow progress. It is easy for those of us who came along later to forget this.