Missa Mundi
  • One of the most uplifting experiences Catholics can have is attending the extraordinary form of the Mass with people from other countries and praying or singing with them in one language. Generally the Missa de Angelis is used at sung Masses in the extraordinary form, and most Catholics know it reasonably well. But why not have a four-part Mass which we can all learn to sing together?

Imagine the effect of something like that during a pilgrimage to Rome! I'm suggesting that choral directors from the main traditional Catholic groups in countries such as the US, England, Ireland, France, Germany and maybe Asia and Africa agree a standard traditional polyphonic Mass (maybe Mozart?) and that the internet be used to popularise it.

The sheet music could be made available on blogs and websites, the four parts could be featured on Youtube, sung separately by good sopranos, altos, tenors and basses (with maybe separate videos of tenors and basses together and sopranos and altos together), and the organ part could also be made separately available as a video.

All these could be linked from sympathetic blogs and websites. The Mass should be readily available internationally on a reasonably-priced CD, so people can play it at home or in the car and get used to it.

My own feeling is that it should be relatively simple to learn, pleasant to listen to, not too long and easy to access. It should also have to allow for some cross-culturisation (eg suitable to be sung by east Europeans and non-English speakers, such as Asians or Africans) Oh, and out of copyright!

A leading English composer has suggested we would need a Mass with organ continuo, fairly straightforward without any complexity of rhythm or entries. The Perosi Missa Pontificalis would be possible; also Haydn's Missa Sancti Joannes De Deo, although he said it would need another Gloria. There should be a simple polyphonic settting - Palestrina's Aeterna Christi Munera would be possible, or a Mass by Lassus - Octavi Toni - which is simple and effective.

We're a universal Church. Why not a universal polyphonic Mass? Any thoughts about a suitable Mass?
  • Mark P.
    Haydn's Missa Sancti Joannes De Deo is arranged by his brother Michael with a longer Gloria. This version is included in an Oxford University Press edition. See: http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780193367845.do
  • chonakchonak
    A choir sang this at the 2009 Colloquium: see June 26.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
  • The idea of a standard basic repertoire for Catholic choirs is a great idea! Great project for the CMAA. Thanks for bringing this up.
  • Thanks for your suggestion Mark P and chonak. I'll include it in a piece I am writing for the Brandsma Review. And thanks for the welcome, frogman noel jones. I am writing from Ireland - largely Godforsaken as far as singing in church is concerned - so can't attend events in the US. But I'd very much appreciate any publicity that can be given for this proposal. If the title Missa Mundi (Mass of the World) is used, it should all percolate back to the same people eventually. The first requirement is to get everyone to agree on a single polyphonic Mass. Then pick a choir and organist to perform it. Then let God and the internet take over!