Where can I find a score of J. Mouton "Caeleste beneficium"
  • smonaco
    St Ann Catholic Church in Charlotte, N.C. has been transitioning its music program over the year to more chant and polyphony. In addition, they are the only parish in Charlotte that offers the Mass in EF. They are planning on a Missa Cantata for the Feast of St. Ann, and they are looking for Mouton's Caeleste beneficium"... but when I do an Internet search, I only find CDs to purchase, not not scores.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Thank you and God bless.
  • Maureen
    Besides the Opera Omnia of 1522 and the Opera Omnia of 1967, there's at least three volumes of "The Motets of Jean Mouton" by one Josephine Shine, of which Volumes 1 and 2 are allegedly motet music, and Volume 3 commentary. So you might check your local university and public library catalogs. (Seriously, you never know what public library systems will and won't have. Weird stuff, sometimes.)

There are also various music mss/partbooks out there from back in the day, but I don't know that they're actually online, as far as I can see. My search engine powers are weak when it comes to mss.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    The 1967 opera omnia (CMM 43) petered out after the Masses (i.e., they printed no motets.), and the only 1522 publication of Mouton I could find was an anthology (Opera omnia is not a 16th-c. concept). The Shine dissertation, in 3 volumes (NYU 1953) is fairly widely held, but I couldn't tell you which motets are there. A lot of Mouton (but not this) was printed in the Attaingnant anthologies, which are available as a set in modern editions.

For original editions and sources of Renaissance motets, the MOTET database (http://www.arts.ufl.edu/motet/results.asp) is very good, but it won't tell you what's available in modern editions.
  • Maureen
    So the 1967 is really an Opera Some-nia.... That's the sort of thing that should get a note in the catalogs.

I think there's maybe a difference between Shine's Fifties dissertation (which seemed to have been all commentary and fairly short, though it may have included some music) and the three volume thing (which was released in the 1970's from an actual publisher instead of a university). But I don't personally know the books, and I'm afraid not all electronic catalogs are created equal; so don't absolutely rely on me for that.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Assuming the cataloger keeps up with the individual volumes as they come out (not always the case), a contents notes (505 field in MARC, for you library geeks) should say what each volume covers. The problem comes because, by the rules. if something says it's the "opera omnia" and was issued with the intent of being complete, it's catalogued as "Works" instead of "Works. Selections", even if it never gets there. In this case, I went to the shelf first, saw we had an issue, then went to WorldCat to make sure that we had just never acquired the subsequent volumes.

Shine 1953 was in 3 volumes (2 of music, 1 of commentary) and was never published as a book (for these purposes, University Microfilms International doesn't count). There are two items out there making this confusing... a 14 page abridgment of the thesis, and Shine's 1949 MASTERS thesis on the same subject. There are also a number of very skanky German library records floating around for this.

I spent a good bit of time poking into the Duquesne library catalog yesterday...being prepared.
  • mahrt
    My St. Ann Choir sings this motet frequently from my own transcription. If you send your e-mail to mahrt@stanford.edu, I will send you a pdf of it.