Universae Ecclesiae
  • Kathy
    My take:

On July 7, 2007, Pope Benedict XVI issued the Apostolic Letter “motu proprio” Summorum Pontificum. The Letter gave broad permission for priests and faithful to celebrate Mass according to an earlier form of the Roman Rite, according to the Missal of 1962. At the same time, the bishops of the world were asked to send to the Holy See, after three years, an account of their experiences of having both forms of the Roman Rite, the Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary (1962) Form, in their dioceses.

Today, taking into account the bishops’ input, the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei issued a clarifying instruction, Universae Ecclesiae.The instruction confirms the permission for the celebration of the Extraordinary Form of the rite. The English translation of the Latin instruction may be found here: http://press.catholica.va/news_services/bulletin/news/27407.php?index=27407&lang=en#TRADUZIONE IN LINGUA INGLESE

The Instruction bases itself, first, on the principle of continuity that also underlay Summorum Pontificum, and which has been a hallmark of the current pontificate. Something that was sacred in the past cannot be suddenly harmful in the present.

Secondly, there are serious pastoral concerns. Some of the faithful have requested this form of worship. If there is nothing harmful, if in fact it is a positive good, then they should have it. This orientation towards generosity is a characteristic of Church law as I understand it.

Today’s clarification is technical. Rather than changing the norms of SP, it generally specifies their implementation. For example, it clarifies which priests should be presumed competent to say the older form. Priests should not only be able to pronounce Latin, but also understand its meaning. However, any priest who has said the Mass in the older form already can be presumed competent. Another example has to do with the groups of the faithful who can request the older form of the Mass. They might come from outside of the parish or diocese.

Overall it is a mild document, not earth-shattering. It simply responds to the expressed concerns of bishops regarding sacraments and administration. Its strongest message is the confirmation it gives that this co-existence of the two forms is not going away anytime soon.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Each section of this document seems to be written to respond to complaints that have been made about local practice. I'd say the decision was made to issue a document that will stand to bring the miscreants into line. Mild to you and me...but not to them.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    My take: the continued push to insist that these are two forms of the same rite has very strong implications for the future of the ordinary form in particular. This is why the document has significance for the broader Catholic world.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Fr. Z keeps talking about how "the liberals" will hate it.
    I disagree...

Certain types of Progressives (meaning- those who believe in a particular idea of PROGRESS) will dislike that it allows what they see as the opposite of PROGRESS (Tradition).

[Real] Liberals (meaning those who favor liberty, or personal freedom to choose among options) should love it, as it is (like SP) concerned primarily with removing restrictions.

Someone needs to explain to me how a pope/hierarchy which has repeatedly stated (essentially):
    -There is more than one single right way to have a Mass
    -Small groups of lay people have a RIGHT to the kind of Mass they want to attend
    -leadership at the local level should go out of its way to meet the desires of a minority of people who want to have Mass in one particular way
    -all these different people doing things that look and sound different are all really doing the same thing and we should all feel groovy about it
    would be considered an enemy of liberalism.

Anyone?
  • miacoyne
    This past Thursday, I attended two Traditional Masses.(7AM and 11 AM). My boys were doing double duties as altar boys.

The 7 AM Mass has been growing since the priest started as his private Mass, and now we had a first communion last week. The boy and the family decided to it at the Traditional Mass. (The boy is in my children's schola, and he commented that the music he got a CD for the communion at the Novus Ordo were not very inspiring to him.:-) Since he is a homeschooling boy there were many homeschooling families at the Mass. Many of them had never attended the Traditional Mass before. They were so impressed by the beauty of the Mass that they decided to invite the priest this week to the homeschooling group and had the Traditional Mass. We had to move chairs and the table around in the sanctuary, and give a brief instruction to the families and the children before the Mass. It was like a miracle! The Mass was celebrated beautifully, and the children were following the Mass amazingly well. (It took a couple of years for me.) It was a low Mass, and the congregation did the dialogues and Ordinary parts from 'the red book'. The group wants to continue to have the Traditional Mass at least once a month when they meet together, but there are only two priests we know available to do so. (one has to drive about 40 minutes.) And the other priest is a pastor for two parishes, extremely busy. I really wish there are more priests who can celebrate the Traditional Mass. (there is another homeschooling group I teach chants also wants to have Traditional Mass, but don't have a priest who knows how to do it.)
    I found out in the class on the new translation I attended yesterday that many people, even devout Catholics, really don't have much knowledge on liturgy, and they were so happy now that they have a class on liturgy and the prayers. People were asking so many questions about the liturgy and made lots of positive comments, such as the Mass is not about me, faith isn't based on feelings, appreciate the riches and reverence in the new translation and not so casual dialogues in the Mass, especially in 'And with your Spirit." ... My pastor who is very careful with introducing Latin in Mass even repeatedly mentioned that these are all in Latin already, and very enthusiastic about the richness of the forthcoming translation, and people started to feel the importance of the tradition and the root of our faith. Because of the misunderstanding of Vatican II and the absence of the Tradition, the tradition which was almost wiped out in celebrating Novus Ordo in many parishes, especially in this area, many Catholics are so confused and at loss in terms of celebrating the Mass. Mostly we just did what others did during Mass without thinking. The experience and the knowledge of Traditional Mass can be truly valuable for many Catholics to understand and appreciate the Mass and deepen their faith through it.
  • Adam,

Essentially, the Pope is calling the Church back to fidelity to Tradition. The Ordinary Form itself represents in some sense a rupture with Tradition, as the same Ratzinger has observed, but it is capable of being celebrated in a way that is clearly in continuity with Tradition, e.g., ad orientem, with Latin chant, appropriate vestments, incense, etc. I do not see how Benedict XVI is being really inconsistent. He is not willing to simply say that Paul VI was wrong; and frankly, although I feel in my gut that he was very wrong to promulgate the Missal of 1970, who am I to reject out of hand what a Vicar of Christ has approved? I see a very profound humility and patience in our Holy Father. He wants Tradition to prevail, but not by violence and suppression, but by encouragement, amelioration, rediscovery, and mutual enrichment. This is a slow path but a more charitable and more successful one in the long run.

If you follow Fr. Z's unfolding commentary, as well as Shawn Tribe's over at NLM, you will see that there is more to this Instruction than meets the eye. Among other things, we once again see the nefarious effects of a poor English translation. The English translation speaks of "pastoral reasons" in connection with training seminarians, but the Latin has no such phrase...

It is mild in some respects, but strong in others, e.g., by insisting that the rules in force in 1962 are to be observed, and what has been legislated post-1962 is not relevant. This solves the vexed question of whether females may serve at the altar for an OF Mass. The answer is, quite simply, no.
  • rich_enough
    Thanks for your very helpful comments, ProfKwasniewski. Suffice to say that our beloved Pope is not a traditionalist, despite his support of the OF through many years. I'm not sure that some traditionalists want to accept this.

The original Latin of the phrase translated as '"where pastoral needs suggest it" is "adiunctis id postulantibus" which Fr. Z translates literally as "as additional circumstances demand it." So it could be argued that far from imposing a restriction, the document is actually an invitation for seminaries to implement training in the EF (though it does not lay down a mandate for them to do so). The other inaccuracies and misleading phrases in this one paragraph and throughout the document lead Fr. Z. to wonder: "Was the old lame-duck ICEL team reassembled?"

Sam Schmitt
  • Sam,

Thanks. I agree about the English translation. What is going on? As a theologian, I have found MANY examples of FALSE translations into English of the Latin originals. I would like to write an article someday that brings together these examples, as a kind of appeal to the Vatican, but I don't know if that will ever happen...

Meanwhile, I have often wondered where Ratzinger/Benedict actually stands. His writings on the sacred liturgy are so incredibly profound, and his grasp of the weaknesses of the reform is so powerful, that he really does come across as the theologian of the traditionalist movement. And yet... in public the OF is the only Mass he celebrates, and it seems to me highly unlikely that, as Pope, he will celebrate the EF publicly. This is truly puzzling, given the very doctrine of Summorum Pontificum and Universae Ecclesiae. I know that the papal court Mass is complex beyond belief, but there was also a papal low Mass that he could resurrect -- if he wanted to.

Peter K. (ProfKwasniewski)
  • Isn't this surprising? I take this from Whispers:

As an added backgrounder, meanwhile, it's worth recalling that -- aside from the text of Summorum itself, and that of its accompanying letter to the world's bishops explaining the move -- B16 has only directly addressed his "one rite, two forms" policy twice, both instances during his September 2008 visit to France, where the clash between particularly formidable factions of traditionalists and progressivists has arguably roiled the church's life more than in any other place.

Asked during his in-flight press conference en route to Paris to respond to concerns among some French that his motu proprio represented "a step backward" from Vatican II's reform of the liturgy, the Pope responded as follows:

[BENEDICT XVI:]
    Their fear is unfounded, for this 'Motu Proprio' is merely an act of tolerance, with a pastoral aim, for those people who were brought up with this liturgy, who love it, are familiar with it and want to live with this liturgy. They form a small group, because this presupposes a schooling in Latin, a training in a certain culture. Yet for these people, to have the love and tolerance to let them live with this liturgy seems to me a normal requirement of the faith and pastoral concern of any Bishop of our Church. There is no opposition between the liturgy renewed by the Second Vatican Council and this liturgy.

On each day [of the Council], the Council Fathers celebrated Mass in accordance with the ancient rite and, at the same time, they conceived of a natural development for the liturgy within the whole of this century, for the liturgy is a living reality that develops but, in its development, retains its identity. Thus, there are certainly different accents, but nevertheless [there remains] a fundamental identity that excludes a contradiction, an opposition between the renewed liturgy and the previous liturgy. In any case, I believe that there is an opportunity for the enrichment of both parties. On the one hand the friends of the old liturgy can and must know the new saints, the new prefaces of the liturgy, etc.... On the other, the new liturgy places greater emphasis on common participation, but it is not merely an assembly of a certain community, but rather always an act of the universal Church in communion with all believers of all times, and an act of worship. In this sense, it seems to me that there is a mutual enrichment, and it is clear that the renewed liturgy is the ordinary liturgy of our time.
  • chonakchonak
    Here's the quote in French, copied from Zenit. I would modify the translation above slightly: it's not "merely an act of tolerance", but it's "simply an act of tolerance".

Q - Que dites-vous à ceux qui, en France, craignent que le Motu proprio 'Summorum pontificum' marque un retour en arrière sur les grandes intuitions du Concile Vatican II ? Comment pouvez vous les rassurer ?

Benoît XVI - C'est une peur infondée parce que ce Motu proprio est simplement un acte de tolérance, dans un but pastoral pour des personnes qui ont été formées dans cette liturgie, l'aiment, la connaissent, et veulent vivre avec cette liturgie. C'est un petit groupe parce que cela suppose une formation en latin, une formation dans une culture certaine. Mais pour ces personnes avoir l'amour et la tolérance de permettre de vivre avec cette liturgie cela me semble une exigence normale de la foi et de la pastorale d'un évêque de notre Eglise.. Il n'y a aucune opposition entre la liturgie renouvelée par le Concile Vatican II et cette liturgie.

Chaque jour (du Concile, ndlr), les pères conciliaires ont célébré la messe selon l'ancien rite et, en même temps, ils ont conçu un développement naturel pour la liturgie dans tout ce siècle car la liturgie est une réalité vivante qui se développe et conserve dans son développement son identité. Il y a donc certainement des accents différents, mais quand même une identité fondamentale qui exclue une contradiction, une opposition entre la liturgie renouvelée et la liturgie précédente. Je pense quand même qu'il y a une possibilité d'un enrichissement des deux parties. D'un côté les amis de l'ancienne liturgie peuvent et doivent connaître les nouveaux saints, les nouvelles préfaces de la liturgie, etc... d'autre part, la liturgie nouvelle souligne plus la participation commune mais, toujours, n'est pas simplement une assemblée d'une certaine communauté mais toujours un acte de l'Eglise universelle, en communion avec tous les croyants de tous les temps, et un acte d'adoration.

Dans ce sens, il me semble qu'il y a un enrichissement réciproque et c'est clair que la liturgie renouvelée est la liturgie ordinaire de notre temps.

And yet despite those comments, the new document says that the Pope's aim is to make the classic form of the liturgy available to all the faithful; and that the "groups" requesting it can be new groups that came into existence even after Summorum Pontificum. I can only conclude that the Pope's thought is more fully developed and expressed in the formal documents than in the first paragraph of a momentary dialogue while en route. Even within this commentary, the Pope's concept of two forms which enrich one another suggests to me a widespread observance of the classic form; without that observance, the influence of the classic form would necessarily be limited.
  • Michael O'Connor
    The biggest gift I see in this is the allowance for an EF Triduum, even if it means having two services on Holy Thursday and Good Friday. I've been told that one couldn't do that, but now it seems allowed. OTOH this has happened informally for other languages besides Latin (here it is Creole and Spanish).
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Adam,
    The term "liberal" (at least in the US) has been taken over by people who are pretty illiberal (in the classic sense). As you say, real liberals will find much to celebrate here.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    JQ (et al)

As I said to another poster who "Whispered to me"
    Yeah, yeah- I get it.
    But, you know- I don't get.

As a liberal (in the classical sense absolutely; and in the contemporary sense somewhat) myself, I'm overall very pleased with Benedict and his approach to liturgy:
    -Want the new Mass? ok
    -The old one? ok
    -Face the people? alright, go ahead
    -Face the tabernacle? that's even better
    -Compromise between the two, for pastoral reasons? of course!
    -Anglican-use? great
    -specific rites for different orders? woo hoo
    -Ambrosian? pretty sweet

Even wherein I don't care for his particular liturgical style (and I prefer OF in English versus populum without giant candles in the way, BTW) how can I possibly get mad that he lets other people do different things because they want to and because he understands that it's pastorally appropriate? He even uses the words "tolerant" and "pastoral" when he talks about this stuff.

Liberals are often described as soft-headed, while conservatives are described as hard-hearted.
    Benedict seems to have the mind of a conservative and the heart of a liberal. Deo gratias!
  • rich_enough
    I base my claim that Pope Benedict is not a traditionalist on an illuminating letter he (as Cardinal Ratzinger) wrote to a German correspondent in 2003. For one thing he envisions a "Roman rite of the future" a sort of amalgamation of the EF and OF which is anathema to almost all traditionalists. I see no evidence that his thought has changed substantially since the time he wrote the letter. Naturally I assume that you were already familiar with this, Peter (ProfKwasniewski), but just in case.

Text of the letter with commentary from Fr. Zuhlsdorf.
  • Maureen
    Part of living in the traditions of Catholicism, one would think, is being aware that the Mass in each Rite has changed in the past and will change in the future. If you went to Mass at Chartres in 1211 with a priest careful about following all the rubrics and doing it right, you wouldn't get exactly the same format as from a careful FSSP priest on the Chartres pilgrimage in the summers; and so you can expect and make predictions about how things may have changed by 2112. A lot has changed, a lot will change, it happens naturally, and it's not a big deal unless you change things unnaturally and at warp speed.

I mean, if you want to dump all these newfangled feasts like Corpus Christi, you'll experience some difficulty. :)
  • miacoyne
    "...The liturgy, which is the reflection of heaven on the earth, in which the fruits of the Redemption are received in sacramental form, cannot be seen from the point of view of crisis and rupture. It cannot be manipulated and changed as a mere human construct on the way to producing an ideal Church for an ideal human person and society. The liturgy must be humbly accepted for what it is, and celebrated by each member of the Church according to his own role in it, for the purpose of conforming his life, and thus the Church’s, ever closer to that of Jesus Christ. We have no need to invoke a hermeneutic of crisis and seek ways out of the crisis to explain the varying phenomenon of the way our contemporaries practice the faith. We do have need of becoming holy as our Father in heaven is holy."

From the beautiful article by Fr. Smith, The Effects of a Hermeneutic of Crisis on the Liturgy, in chant cafe,
    http://www.chantcafe.com/2011/05/effects-of-hermeneutic-of-crisis-on.html