ICEL chants--rhythmic modifications
  • Heath
    Friends,

A colleague and I will be recording a CD for all the priests in our diocese next week. The CD will consist of the revised Order of the Mass, including the Ordinary, and some "extras."

Now the settings handed down from ICEL (found here) are somewhat non-explicit about rhythms that at least I think are supposed to be intuitive. But I think there could be some value in attempting to unify some of these rhythms throughout the US . . .

Anyway, before we do this recording, *I'd be interested in having some discussion on certain items and trying to find some consensus on how people plan on singing these parts.*

Some examples:

Kyrie: Lengthen first note of "mer-"? (episema in chant notation in Kyrie XVI)

Gloria: Two items: 1) Quick breath at quarter bars? 2) Lengthen penultimate notes in phrase, when it's a strong syllable? (e.g. "HIGH-est" in first line)

Sanctus and Agnus: I think these are pretty obvious, but lengthen both notes of the last syllable of the respective intonations? (did that make sense?)

There are others, but these are the main ones . . . any I'm forgetting?

And some random questions:

--Which setting of the memorial acclamation do you plan on using as your main setting?

--Again, clearly the composers meant for us to read some length into some of these notes . . . *is there an interpretive system that I should know about to make sense of this?* I just don't know why they didn't use some open noteheads . . .
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Or just dots or episemas. I've noticed some really puzzling parts of the Credo. I mean, we know how it goes from the real thing but what about the average parish with no chant experience? I really do think that these editions could create lots of confusion and for no good reason.
  • In general, I would actually use the spoken cadence as a baseline, and respect that cadence as much as possible. Further, given the percussiveness of the English language (or at least the accents to which I've been exposed), I wouldn't impose an ictic conducting system at all, instead focusing on conducting the accents primarily.

So, for the Kyrie, I would emphasize the first note in "mer-", but not lengthen it inordinately.

Gloria:
    - Quarter bars seem to imply a rhythmic lift, but not an outright breath.
    - Using the spoken cadence as a baseline, I wouldn't lengthen penultimate strong syllables.
    - "Glory to God…" — a slight lengthening on "God" is warranted.
    - "we give you thanks…" — take a bit of time on "thanks" to pronounce well the "nks".
    - "Lord God, heavenly King…" and "Lord God, Lamb…" — I would 'sing the commas', i.e., lift, even if they lack a quarter bar.
    - "…you alone…" — take a bit of time on "-lone" to pronounce well the "n".

Sanctus and Agnus would derive from the Latin versions, so lengthen both notes.
  • incantuincantu
    It's sad to say, but I find people either "get" this type of singing or they don't. From the organ, I can lead a congregation full of people who have never set foot in our church in singing the Our Father with the same corporate rhythm they use for speaking. No problem. Then I have one professionally trained singer lead them, and we get a string of perfectly even eighth notes with an accent on every single one. I think you just need to have someone who "gets" this teach the rest of them. Priests, especially non-singing priests, are often very good at chanting.

I feel it is important to point out that the ICEL chants are not Gregorian compositions, but something entirely new which is based on or inspired by chant. Neither the rules of semiology nor the Solesmes rhythmic method apply. Trying to impose those rules on a composition which was not conceived with them in mind is dangerous.

Consider these two notes from the introduction to the ICEL music:
    Black notes without stems are used in order not to imply equalist rhythms;

Notes in note groups are spaced close together rather than evenly spaced in order to make clear the syllables to which they are subordinate
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    The only way that these chants could ever become a universal English Mass for the US church would be if the USCCB Bishops made available ONE RECORDING, say by Matthew Curtis and produced by Jeff Ostrowski, both accompanied and unaccompanied, that they endorse as the ideal way it should be sung.

As Incantu has said, it's not in historic form...and if we try to interpret it using the different schools of thought (for example, I am totally opposed to the English Kyrie being so different musically from the Latin one, and that would color my interpretation) we will have a mess. I was guilty of ignoring an episema and more than one of my choir members as we went to visit another church and sing with the cautioned me that they "sing it different over there" and that I needed to be prepared.

I suggest that >•< and the rest of the board at CMAA, who wear :)•< ties or not, post a blog suggesting that MC and JMO do this...

Yes, I know that is like letting the USCCB tell us how it has to be sung. But rather that, than having a mess on our hands when going from church to church.

(And JMO's got the new baby to feed...let's keep him working!)
    Aristotle's explanation works for most and even nearly all. But every once in a while, I wonder how congregations are going to end up singing this - or choirs for that matter. My tendency would be to lengthen both notes in Ages. But the music gives no indication. Is it obvious from speech or am I importing some sense from the way I've sung the chant

Maybe it doesn't matter and eventually everyone will just settle into something workable.
    Is there truth to the rumor that there will be an after hours optional class by >•< on chant sense?
    apparently! I think it is morning.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    This precise question has been asked for at least a hundred years, and will probably not be "solved" any time soon.

The editors have chosen to follow Pothier's approach, which was to give "freedom" to stress the tonic accent in a way each speaker (culture) feels is natural.

German-speakers tend to lengthen the tonic accent quite a bit. French-speakers tend not to do so (for obvious reasons).

Here are seven videos which explain in greater depth.

seven (7) videos on why the Editio Vaticana did not employ "dots and dashes"

for instance, 8:30 and 9:10 of the first video
  • Chris_McAvoyChris_McAvoy
    Making recordings and promoting the music by hearing those who do sing it well is the best solution here.

I see nothing wrong with also promoting your own versions of the chants as well, if they are improvements, or especially neume notated versions. Eventually the best composition will become the favoured choice.

I've only tried singing a few of the ICEL chants, while they are sometimes inferior to the Anglican liturgical translations versions of the same melody, they appear to have been very good nevertheless.
    I thought that Credo I and Credo III were excellent.

musicasacra.com/books/ordinary_of_the_mass_english1933.pdf <-there's the pinnacle of english chant for the ordinary of the mass. I've yet to find any ordinary out do that book. I've been typesetting the lux et origo and orbis factor settings in neumes and modern notation based on what's in it for future use in a local catholic anglican ordinariate mission.<br />
    The more people here it sung beautifully acapella the more chance they have of falling in love with it and being deeply motivated to sing it themself.

Having EWTN or any other form of tv/internet/radio broadcast english language chant and antiphons would be very helpful.

I have had personal experience singing vernacular plainchant at western rite orthodox and traditional anglican churches. WHat aristolte said is true, the right leadership from someone who loves the music and has more experience with it is profoundly helpful. That is usually how it ends up becoming a tradition that is very successful.

Just remember if a bunch of protestants and or former protestant converts can happily sing the ordinary of the mass every week and find it enriches their faith, life long catholics can do the same.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Chris, I believe they took Credo III down, if I am not mistaken...did they put it back up?

Even if they never do, it is still available HERE.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Jeff, if you're talking about the ICEL website, Credo III is indeed still there. It's towards the bottom, after the explanations of the tones for the lessons.
  • Erik P
    Erik's got a very good point here.

It would be worthwhile for some of the chant experts we have to publish their own chant note editions of these to solve the problem. Erik's got a very good point here.

The English Hymnal printed chant in notation with three staves, top square notes, below modern with melody and accompaniment. That would be useful in this situation.
    Yes, this remains a priority. I surely hope that we get a Kyriale by the time the thing is released.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Erik P: in fairness to ICEL, they are merely following the method that has been used since 1904 in the official chant books.

By the way, you all probably know about the ICEL New Mass Translation Practice Videos, created by the CMAA (shared freely with the world).

CMAA video link on Chant CaféCMAA Vimeo channel

However, you may not realize that these chants are also available on CD.

The YouTubes and Vimeo videos done by the CMAA have gotten close to 50,000 views, so they are becoming a "standard."
  • incantuincantu
    I wonder what ICEL means by this:
    Recordings of this music at different pitches will eventually be made available on line free of charge on various Web sites.

Do they mean that they will provide such recordings? that it is inevitable that such recordings will appear independently?
  • NPM has a page that contains their recordings of these chants.
  • Erik P
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Erik P:

Everything the Editio Vaticana Committee produced: from the "common tones" to the Kyriale, Antiphonale, Graduale, and even the music for the reading of the Passion.

In terms of your view that rhythmic indications are very helpful to singers, Joseph Lennards would agree with you ...
  • Erik P
    oh it is amazing enough to have the music distributed for free download! this was a huge step.
  • Claire H
    Is this CD going to be made available for purchase online? Because I and the priests at my parish were just talking about the need for this.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Claire, you can purchase the CD at this website.

---

---

(By the way, Claire, great job in the Wilko Brouwers Video ! )
  • Claire H
    Thank you, Jeff, both both the link and the compliment! :)