incredible series on the BBC
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Fantastic that these are now on Gloria.tv

take an evening off and watch
    http://en.gloria.tv/?media=153479
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Carl DCarl D
    This is why I love the BBC - they do this so well!
    Carl
  • I think I will finish watching part I tonight. Good stuff- thanks, Jeffrey!
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    It's very strange to see something on tv that is actually interesting. That's my reaction.
  • This is true. TV in general is dull, crass, or both.
    Thanks to Netflix and a late-night newborn, though, I have gone through all the Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes series. Now I've started All Creatures Great and Small. Neither series is as riveting as the special you posted to this music nerd. But at least one can be assured of decent scenery, witty dialogue, and good wardrobe (the old hats are my favorite).
  • Gilbert
    pt. 1 of 4... Are the other parts on Gloria.tv as well? or will be?
  • mhjell
    I bought the DVD from Amazon a couple months ago. The music is lovely, but the occasionally snide commentary & photography was grating. See this regarding second series (which I'll still get when it's available stateside):
  • Michael O'Connor
    I bought this set over Christmas and have actually used part for class. I can't argue with the approach to reach a general audience, but I only watched it to hear the Sixteen sing some great music. Especially intriguing is the Byrd 4vv Mass sung in the actual house of recusant with a small group that included women on the upper parts. Very authentic and it provided a great teaching moment to my 99% Evangelical Protestant music history class.
  • Geremia
    Too bad this excellent documentary was pulled off Gloria.tv…

Here it is from YouTube.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Geremia
    Here's an informational site on the series: http://www.open.edu/openlearn/whats-on/ou-on-the-bbc-sacred-music