Bishops require guitar chords to approve new liturgical music
  • matthewjmatthewj
    All of the problems with music in the Canadian Catholic Church illustrated in one link:
    http://www.nlo.cccb.ca/index.php/nclm/music-protocol

Guitar chords are required.
  • Clearly this process is completely and utterly corrupt: it makes excellent music impossible.
    Like many places in the Catholic Church, the activities of these ecclesial bureaucrats harm rather than build up the Body of Christ.
  • Kathy
    I'm trying to think of what the lead sheet for Byrd's Ave Verum would look like...
  • rogue63
    I am amused by imagining the "melody and chords" for Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms. Or for that matter, the "melody and chords" of Kyrie XI Orbis Factor. Utterly inane.
  • Liam
    Kathy

I am sure there should also be markings for Praise Jazz Hands for the Byrd. Ya know, it should be able to be sung in different styles....
  • OH MAN! That's right. Orbis Factor didn't come with chords. Guess we're gonna have to make some up. Oh, and it needs a tempo marking. "Chantissimo" - sounds good.
    BMP
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Byrd is easy. Consider Poulenc motets. Or mine. If I found a pasteurized guitarist who could play my changes at sight, I would take back everything (well, almost everything) I've ever said about them. While the definition of "lead sheet" is carved in stone, their parenthetical (melody and chords) suggests that any form giving the same information (e.g., melody with figured bass) would be acceptable. Alas, the rest of it makes it clear what they are looking for. Pity the Church in Canada!
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    The word Guitar is not mentioned, which should help reduce Charles in CenCa's blood pressure today.

This document is very, very good.

The only parts that fall short are highlighted. I've set the new mass chants with accompaniments and, accepting the fact that there are organists out there, some on this list, who have minimal keyboard skills. So I decided to make simple chordal accompaniments for the left hand, no moving parts. And for organists who only read melody and chord names, the chord names. I began taking piano when I was 9. 3 months later my father bought a church organ for the house and it came with a Pointer Chord System beginning organ teaching book.

I went to the best organ teacher in town, Harvard grad. When I told him I had studied piano for 3 months, he told me to come back in four years. I did. But in the interim I taiguth myself the chord system and played the organ at home.

It's basic, playing LH chords, but it works and gets a person started.

Of course, guitarists can also play the chords, but the piano and guitar, being percussive instruments do not easily glide from note to note like the organ or strings, so they put too much emphasis on the change of harmony unless played very carefully.

There is SO much good about what it written below. I think that we all are ignoring the caveat that this is music for Liturgical Use. The bishops could have been clearer by saying liturgical CONGREGATIONAL use.

The document follows, the "bad stuff" is highlighted. Isn't the "good stuff" great? Chant passes the test with flying colors.

June 2007

The Bishop of each diocese is responsible for approving music for liturgical use. To assist the Bishop and provide a means for musicians to propose their compositions for liturgical use, the following protocol was approved by the ECL.

Composers are requested to send music directly to the Diocesan Bishop (or Diocesan Liturgy Office or Commission) or to the National Liturgy Office.
    Compositions must be submitted in the form of a lead sheet (melody and chords) with the text and tempo markings.June 2007

The Bishop of each diocese is responsible for approving music for liturgical use. To assist the Bishop and provide a means for musicians to propose their compositions for liturgical use, the following protocol was approved by the ECL.

Composers are requested to send music directly to the Diocesan Bishop (or Diocesan Liturgy Office or Commission) or to the National Liturgy Office.
    Compositions must be submitted in the form of a lead sheet (melody and chords) with the text and tempo markings. It would also be helpful, if possible, to include a recorded version of the music.
    The Diocesan Bishop or the National Liturgy Office may forward the submission to the NCLM for its review and comments.
    The written response of the NCLM is communicated directly to the Diocesan Bishop or the National Liturgy Office, which in turn communicates this information to the composer.
    Responses to individual bishops are copied to the National Liturgy Office and kept on file.
    At the conclusion of this process, it is up to the local Bishop to approve texts and music for use in his Diocese.

Published along with Criteria for Assessing Music and Texts for Liturgical Use

in Liturgy Newsletter Vol. 1, Number 2 (Winter 2008)

Criteria for Assessing Music and Texts for Liturgical Use

To assist parish musicians in the selection of appropriate music and texts for the liturgy, the NCLM has established the following criteria. These criteria will also be helpful to composers. It would also be helpful, if possible, to include a recorded version of the music.
    The Diocesan Bishop or the National Liturgy Office may forward the submission to the NCLM for its review and comments.
    The written response of the NCLM is communicated directly to the Diocesan Bishop or the National Liturgy Office, which in turn communicates this information to the composer.
    Responses to individual bishops are copied to the National Liturgy Office and kept on file.
    At the conclusion of this process, it is up to the local Bishop to approve texts and music for use in his Diocese.

Published along with Criteria for Assessing Music and Texts for Liturgical Use

in Liturgy Newsletter Vol. 1, Number 2 (Winter 2008)

Criteria for Assessing Music and Texts for Liturgical Use

To assist parish musicians in the selection of appropriate music and texts for the liturgy, the NCLM has established the following criteria. These criteria will also be helpful to composers.

Regarding Music:

Does the music suit the text? Is the music seasonally appropriate?
    Does the author respect the prosody of the text (the rhythmic structure of speech)?
    Does the music support the text or does it distract from it?
    Is the melody singable by an assembly? Does the phrasing facilitate such participation?
    Is the range singable by an average assembly?
    Is the melody memorable?
    Does the melody provide interest and balance (steps and leaps)?
    Is there consistency in the verse structure suited to congregational singing?
    Can the music be performed in a variety of styles?

Regarding Texts:

Does the text express authentic Catholic faith? Is the text theologically sound?
    Does the text possess clarity of language?
    Is the text biblically inspired?
    Does the text incorporate metaphors and evocative images?
    Is there a movement of thought from one verse to the next?
    Is the text in some way directed to God?
    Does the text include elements of petition, praise or memorial of God’s saving deeds?
    Is there consistency of address within the composition?
    Is the text grammatically correct?
    Does the text employ contemporary English?
    Is the text consistent with the language of liturgical prayer?
    Does the text use corporate language in expressing the prayer of the assembly?
    If the text is a ritual text, is it in accord with the approved liturgical text?

Regarding Acclamations:

Is there a tonal and melodic relationship between the acclamations which are intended to be sung together during a single liturgical celebration?
    Does the melody engage the assembly in a way that is truly acclamatory?
    Does the music employ minimal syncopation?
    Is the text consistent with the approved liturgical text?
  • incantuincantu
    It might be funny to think of it that way, but these criteria do not require chords, only that harmonic music be submitted in a certain format (rather than in full score). Most music written in the past 400 years and nearly all of it written in the past 40 years could easily be expressed in this way. Would you have preferred a Roman number analysis? Or perhaps Schenkarian?
  • Charles in CenCA
    Now that Noel and I have monitored my BP (it's fine)- I'd like to remind folks of THE TEN CHORDMANDMENTS of notations:
    1. Chord symbols, or more correctly (as Incantu says correctly, vary) chordal nomenclature ought not to be perfunctorily dubbed "guitar chords."
    2. Chordal nomenclature is no recent stranger to sacred music, see "figured bass, continuo."
    3. Subsequently, neither is "improvisation" by a strung/plucked/keyboard hammered instrument a recent invention.
    4. Kathy's quite clever citing an imaginary "lead sheet version" of the Byrd "Ave verum.." as she knows that classical polyphony cannot be assigned metric chordal symbols as the melodies in the voice parts are liquid and moving.
    5. However, other forms of polyphony that are Warhorses in the repertoire, have and can easily bear such assignments, ie. Tallis "If ye love me," Victory (Palestrina?), Mozart "Ave verum," Arcadelt "Ave Maria" and a ton of other titles where polyphony is more closely aligned to tonal homophony.
    6. None of the above are meant to suggest that performance practice via chord nomenclature is an ideal.
    7. But, what injury to whom occurs by the Canadian bishops hopefully insisting that absolutely accurate chordal assignments be added to accompaniment editions of hymnals? (Any six chord strummer, or oompah pianist who can barely distinguish a minor from a major third and gets lost at diminished/augmented won't benefit by such symbols.)
    8. Accompaniment "genius" often depends simultaneously upon the brilliance of the fully composed accompaniment score and the inventiveness and intuition of the accompanist. Again, having both options on the same page, does no injury other than to "sensibilities."
    9. When singing Stravinsky ( I actually inherited a choir that sang that beautiful "Alleluia" from SofPsalms as a GA), Poulenc, Quick or Kevin Allen at liturgy, as well as a different ton of pieces, you don't assign "chords" to those scores. Period. Do not the Canadian bishops make that distinction?
    10. Does anyone know of a really cool Cajun Mass setting, since we're onto Canadian stuff? I listened to that Bluegrass Mass and that sucked eggs bigtime.

If given a choice, would you rather have a guitarist who can negotiate and realize accurate chordal notation accompany "On Eagles' Wings" or "Be still my soul (Finlandia)" at a funeral?
  • Kathy
    By the way I just finished notating If Ye Love Me for guitar.
  • Liam
    Kathy

Let us know when you finish Byrd's Haec Dies notations.
  • Charles in CenCA
    I'm working on Poulenc Quatre Motetes, then onto Bogoroditze....
    BTW, anyone need VW "Fantasy on Greensleeves"?
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I totally disagree with any "keyboardist" settling for LH chords accompanying the melody. I started out in 4th grade on the accordion - RH melody, LH um-pa-pa. When I first went to organ it was "pop" organ taught at the same studio where i learned the accordion. Then I started playing in church. When my Mom first heard me putting chords under the melody, she demanded that I either learn to play the right way, or stop playing in church. Period. Do it right, or not at all.
  • I learned organ four years ago when I was in college, while studying voice. I've since held an organist position at a church for two years and am now a choir director at another parish. I depended on chords almost exclusively as a way to learn to play the organ and to get me comfortable enough to play at my first mass. I started guitar at the age of 9 and studied classical guitar in high school. There is a lot more to guitar playing than the "3 chord sterotype" that is constantly being displayed on this forum. But that's another issue all together...

My point is, WHO CARES whether chords are included in liturgical music? Honestly, has no one ever heard of figured bass? Same concept, only instead of roman numerals, we actually use their tonal names. If I didn't have chords to use when I played the organ, I would never have even started. Which in turn means that I would never have had the experience to land my current position as a choir director, where I push my folk choir that I inherited to learn and perform their first polyphony pieces and chant. So, let's just say that those awful "guitar chords" many of you are raising a stink about has actually furthered your cause in my parish.

Sorry Steve Collins, but I am no virtuoso at organ, and I don't have the money to pay for private lessons, but I know what sacred music is and I know that many people prefer my playing over the ostentatious organist who plays the "right way" by blasting the cogregation with an overload of sound and showmanship that makes it almost impossible to lead a congregation. I play because I love it and it helps me give glory to God. I find it offensive that anyone would suggest I stop playing because I'm not classically trained enough in organ. But then again, no one told me to stop singing either, even before I studied opera.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Steve, point appreciatively taken. But, we don't live in ideal times. Truth be told, humanity has no authentic memory of such an Eden, we have the benefit of the scriptural conceptual account of perfection. To reach for idealism or perfection is laudible and noble. To demand it from others is judgmental and dictatorial. HE is the vine, we are the branches. That's also why I'm the DM/Choir Director and my organist is the organist....different gifts.
    Now, all that said, I went to the Canadian site and can see what the kerfuffle ingredients actually started this madness.
    Should have guessed it, very old story:
    Disinterested, editorially challenged prelates back in ought-seven reacting to some external stimulus mandate about new music for worship.
    Same prelates hand off project checklist to advisors, same sort of people who manage to run projects like "LAREC Theme Song Contest" or "American Idol." In the box-thinking populists. We're not finding any Mike Joncas's, much less Leo Nestor's, on this panel of "experts."
    This council (Blind Folk describing elephants) fabricates an Irish patch driving cap series of "COMPOSITION PROTOCOLS."
    Same folks somehow forget that at least one of their number passed Frosh/Sophomore theory class by successfully mimic-ing the composition of a Bach chorale, and that most sacred music benefits by a fully realized keyboard accompaniment.
    Same folks make self contradicting and cancelling protocols within document just to convince themselves they can present it with big smiles to the prelates, confident they won't notice redundancies (they won't) and that they've done "A fine job!"
    Prelates publish it.
    No one gives a rip.
    Some Canadian Jeff Ostrowski writes the most sublime Mass Ordinary and sends to a "commission" for approval.
    Secretary opens envelope, sees the grand scale under the vocal line as s/he peeks within; marks envelope "Return to Sender."
    Someone should write an opera. Using "lead sheets."
  • DougS
    I wonder if John Adams's "I was Looking at the Ceiling and then I Saw the Sky" has lead sheets. Talk about a funky opera.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Dunno, Doug. I don't think "Oppenheimer" used lead sheets, though. Too heavy.
  • BenBen
    Does the text employ contemporary English?
    Well there goes "Holy God we praise thy Name" the window.
  • Michael O'Connor
    By the early 17th century, there is ample evidence that polyphony was performed with organ and even theorbo (more and more). The late Renaissance move towards more chordal "progressions" certainly pushed this along. Do I want Gombert sung with parish strummers? No, but tradition cannot really be used as the best reason for resisting this. The big difference is, however, that all that was contemporary music, which was beginning a process of great change. In reclaiming the style of polyphonic music, the current aesthetic should reign. A capella preferred, organ accompaniment when desired or needed. In fact, modern polyphony might make good use of synthesizer to underscore the ethereal aesthetic desired. Seriously.
  • Charles in CenCA
    In fact, modern polyphony might make good use of synthesizer to underscore the ethereal aesthetic desired. Seriously.

Mike, you're my new hero. No small comfort as we're being fricassied at the heretic stakes!
    Ralphie, you wanna chime in and make it trio of burning apostates?
  • GavinGavin
    Michael, I'd be rather interested to hear any recordings you have to offer of such a practice. Frankly, the idea scares me, but I also know some contexts in which it may be beneficial.
  • Kathy
    You'd have to be really careful not to get a new-agey sound.
  • Michael O'Connor
    Yes, I'm hoping that the synth part could be "composed" in such a way that no matter the technology change, it would still work. Anyway, New Age music pulls at the same internal desires that chant does for the general public. It can, when done well, give a timeless sound that suggests the eternal. Also, remember that I said "modern" polyphony. A capella is nice, but it need not be the only artistic expression of the sacred.
  • Liam
    Byrd a la Vangelis. Bring me my bow, indeed.
  • Ralph BednarzRalph Bednarz
    I had a black market book with at least a thousand pieces of light classics as lead sheets; Beethoven, Liszt, Bach, Brahms, Mcdowell, Sousa, Verdi, Gounod- Sort of a pocket encyclopedia but also handy if you played for silent movies.
    I have not used synths or digital samples with our chant or polyphony but I have used sampled harps and and pizzicato strings even within
    midi files for some Gelineau psalms.
    In this case it worked far better than the organ.
    The presentation is excellent - on the level of the Roland Harpsichord.
  • I'd LOVE to see Toccata and Fugue in d in lead sheet form. After I learn that - I might just be able to learn the rest of the parts. :)
    Same with the Widor 5 Finale.
    BMP
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Well, now. . . there is such a thing as organ tablature.

Can you imagine trying to play from this?

Never mind there being a bishop alive who could even recognize this as music!

Musicology geeks of the world, unite! Vive la resistance!
  • Charles in CenCA
    I KNEW IT!
    Now, we have to look for archeological evidence of the enigmatic, infamous manual organ capo!
  • Organ capo!!! LOL! Thank goodness my cereal bowl is big enough in which to sputter.
    I am by NO means a "virtuoso" on any instrument. That is not my point. Neither did most of my learning require any teacher whatsoever. Back to the basics - practice, practice, practice. You must be willing to put in the time - period. Practice the right hand, it's the easiest, but play both soprano and alto notes. Practice the left hand, pound the keyboard if necessary. (This was the most difficult for me at the time, having spent so much time on the accordion.) Then practice the hands together. Practice playing the bottom line only on the pedals, and then add that to the hands. But this is optional to at least getting all the 4-part vertical writing heard. Again - the is neither Bach nor rocket science. Just do it!
    Steve's right but unfortunately, there is no "school of hymn playing" that concentrates on hymns. I've been sketching out a simple hymn playing course that starts with playing them in two parts, then three parts in preparation to playing four parts.

These three part arrangements are also singable.

Playing hymns in four parts is hard, there is no doubt about it. But with practice you can master it.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Organ capo? Don't we call that a transposition switch?
    It's hard for me to learn feet w/o a pedalboard (or room for one). I'm working hymns on hands right now, and am getting a feel for how hands divide. Changing the division on the fly in real time is hard but it's coming.
    The trick to changing divisions and pressing pistons it to use a metronome, slow things down dramatically, and do it over and over.

If you want to press a piston or change manuals between verses of a hymn:

Last measure count: 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 PRESS.

Do this religiously at 4.5 over and over again. Unless the hymn is in 4!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    As a side note for beginner organists:

90 Easy Hymn Accompaniments by Margaret Mealey

provides organ based, pedal-free harmonizations for 90 very popular hymn tunes
    good for
    -beginner's practice / learning
    -light accompaniment for variety among multiple verses
    -children with small hands

I own it. Like it.

http://www.giamusic.com/search_details.cfm?title_id=4142

I'm sure there are other collections like this...
    OTOH, "easy" accompaniments are often so simplified as to be distracting to the listener. And many of our recent "Catholic" publishers are having their in-house composers modify traditional accompaniments - some times harder, sometimes not - but a distraction, at least to me. If one is serious about playing in church, one will need to learn how to play hymns, even if only on the manuals. Consider starting a hymnal collection. Look for traditional hymns in traditional hymnals, and don't be afraid to but some non-Catholic hymnals. I think I have almost 60 hymnals in my collection - and that doesn't count what's available on the inter-net.