"Progressive participation" versus "progressive solemnity."
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    On a final exam at the seminary where I'm teaching, I posed the following question:

In considering the principles set forth in Musicam sacram sections 28 - 31 and Sing to the Lord sections 110 - 117, describe and discuss the differences between them; think in terms of "progressive participation" versus "progressive solemnity."

As I was thinking about how this might be answered, I think I may have stumbled upon a rather serious flaw in the logic of "progressive solemnity", and one which points to what I think is the critical weakness in the entire construct of "full, conscious and active participation" as reflected in how much singing is included in any given Mass.

MS and SL seem to make a distinction between what could be called “progressive participation” (as in MS) and “progressive solemnity” as described in SL. With “progressive participation”, the congregation enters into ever deepening levels of participation beginning with the simplest responses and dialogues between priest and people. By then adding the singing of the more complex chants the participation of the people increases. SL changes the emphasis from one of increasing participation through a logical progression to one in which a more arbitrary classification of levels of solemnity are reflected in the amount of singing. Progressive participation clearly lays a foundation for progressive solemnity, and the implication is that whenever there is singing, the elements of the “first degree” should always be present, and with the addition of elements of the “second” and “third” degrees the level of solemnity is increased, as is the level of participation of the people. I don't believe however that the opposite is true, that is that progressive solemnity informs progressive participation.

From a liturgical and historical perspective, this is a concept that can only apply to the Ordinary Form of the Mass. A ferial Mass in the Ordinary Form does not offer as many opportunities for singing as a Sunday Mass (either by accident or design; there aren't any readily available settings of the Propers for the weekdays, at least so far as I know, for ferial Masses in the OF in English). A Solemnity (be it on Sunday, such as Easter, or a weekday, such as Ascension) by the nature of the liturgy, offers more opportunities, and calls for it. (I point out the obvious here: the amount of singing between “sung Mass” and “solemn high Mass” actually does not change in the EF; the ceremonial requirements create the distinction, tied to the class of the feast, not merely the difference between it being a ferial Mass or a Solemnity.) It is my assertion that for this reason some scholars argue that this distinction of “progressive solemnity” as set forth in Sing to the Lord is artificial and has no relationship to the progression of greater participation set forth in MS. It could be argued that once a congregation has developed to the point of being able to sing those parts assigned to them in the three degrees of MS, it would logically then follow that the Celebrant would be able to reflect the level of solemnity by his choice of chanting those parts belonging to him alone, as opposed to those that are set in dialogue with the people.

My conclusion here is that the most obvious flaw in the construct of “progressive solemnity” based on “progressive participation” is the implied suggestion that the degree of participation (that is, the number of things that are sung or not sung) dictates the level of solemnity. Is this to suggest that a ferial Mass, being of a lower degree of solemnity, requires less singing and therefore a lesser degree of “participation” than the liturgy for Easter Sunday? Should one's level of exterior participation (singing) set the measure for the level of solemnity and therefore the interior participation or disposition of the participants?

At the core of this question: Does it logically follow that full participation should dictate singing and that the amount of singing included in the Mass should be a token of the level of solemnity the Mass enjoys?
  • incantuincantu
    This argument seems to ignore the fact that "participation" does not mean "singing," but "active listening and singing." MS makes it clear that the primary form of participation is internal, with external participation (e.g. singing) is secondary. The faithful therefore participate more fully in a Mass in which all of the propers are sung (whether by the choir alone or by the entire congregation) than in one in which only the ordinary is sung.
  • MarkThompson
    It is, I think, worth observing that traditionally the Low Mass was not really developed or intended for the purpose of public celebration in the first place. That's what High Mass is for. But because it not possible to celebrate High Mass very frequently, and because Low Mass is boring and completely inaudible (I'm speaking in general terms here), and not particularly solemn, the Missa Cantata, which is a Low Mass technically and a High Mass in appearance, was developed. Later, permissions were granted to use incense at Missae Cantatae and so on; again, because people like it and it seems solemn. So it is not that "progressive solemnity" is based on "progressive participation," but rather, as I see it, that progressive solemnity and progressive participation are independently tied to the development and function of the different forms of Mass. Stripped-down celebrations are really intended for private, not public, Masses.

Of course, the outcome was that if you lived someplace where, for any of a variety of reasons, it was only possible to have, or for you to attend, Low Mass, then you might go practically your whole life without seeing incense or, for instance, the Asperges. As I understand it, one of the main goals in "loosening up" the rubrics on matters like these was because people seemed to want them -- not because people wanted to get rid of them whenever possible, even though that is largely what ended up happening. Likewise, your options for the sung propers in the OF were either (1) a choir capable of, and required to, execute all of them, or (2) zilch. Again, as I understand it the idea in the transition to the rubrics of the new Mass, where lesser portions of the Ordinary and Propers could be sung without requiring the whole to-do, was to allow nice things to be done that had previously been forbidden, less to allow things to be dropped that had previously been required.

And, really, this is in keeping with the way things developed in the old Mass. The progression was "We can't handle a Solemn High Mass, but could we at least sing the parts of the Mass?" --- Yes, the Missa Cantata was developed. "We still can't handle a Solemn High Mass, but can we please have incense?" -- Yes, by 1900 or so permission was granted for that too. One can imagine further development along these lines: "We can't handle all the Propers with the Tract and everything in our little church (or for our quick morning Mass), but can we at least sing the Introit, Kyrie, and Agnus Dei?" The modern rubrics allow for just such a thing, and you can see this principle reflected in Musicam Sacram. The first level are things that any congregation can do immediately: singing the short dialogues and the Lord's Prayer. The next level can be done by an unaccompanied, uncantored congregation that knows just a couple of simple settings: the Kyrie, Gloria, etc. The third level is where you start to reach things that would typically take accompaniment or require execution by a dedicated choir.

I'm not sure I see anything different in Sing to the Lord. First, it is not really true that the document equates progressive solemnity and progressive "participation," at least inasmuch as participation requires the congregation to be contributing. "For example," the document points out, "greater feasts such as Easter Sunday or Pentecost might suggest a chanted Gospel, but a recited Gospel might be more appropriate for Ordinary Time." Likewise Solemnities and Feasts may invite "[c]ertain musical selections [of] an extraordinary richness." So a Mass with an Ordinary by Byrd and all the readings sung might be appropriate for a great Solemnity, and inappropriate for some random Wednesday morning. Nor is there anything particularly "arbitrary" in the priorities given by Sing to the Lord. It asks for the dialogues and acclamations first (same as Musicam Sacram), then the Responsorial Psalm (a new thing to emphasize, but obviously the product of a few decades' recognition of how lame recited Responsorial Psalms are), then at least a hymn or two (for daily Masses on more important days) and hopefully the Proper antiphons, which are "to be esteemed and used especially."

Is that at all different from the principles we've always accepted? You would never pull out all the stops for some miscellaneous ferial day, would you? Even if previous documents had not spelled out a doctrine of progressive solemnity, it is clear that this is what was being practiced. You might have had an orchestra for All Saints or Christmas; your parish choir for a Sunday in Ordinary Time; and nothing at all for an average weekday.

Sorry if I've rambled and this seems disjointed, but I still haven't quite figured out what you think is odd or innovative about the current norms you've referenced. "Progressive solemnity" seems quite in keeping with the way the forms and add-ons of the TLM developed, and you seem to have misunderstood "progressive participation." None of the documents says that the more people can participate the more solemn your Mass is; it's that things like music and singing add to the solemnity of Mass (which we've always known), and the starting point for even small and unsupported congregations will be the simplest elements like the dialogues.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    "Low Mass is boring and completely inaudible (I'm speaking in general terms here), and not particularly solemn, the Missa Cantata, which is a Low Mass technically and a High Mass in appearance, was developed."

I can understand what you are saying, but I must say that this is a very modern view of the Mass. The Low Mass was considered the equal of the High Mass, both were equally "boring" in the light that the people did nothing at either one.

Certain people, even in village parishes, did choose to participate in the Mass at progressively higher levels - the altar servers, the choir. But everyone else just sat there and no one, no one, complained. It was being present at the glory of the Transubstantiation. Whether or not we could see it or hear the words, we, like pilgrims to an apparition, were touched by it as those who go to Fatima are touched and even healed, without seeing or hearing the words of the Virgin.

Mary Jane can attest to the lines of people who line up to drink of the Fountain of Youth. They may not believe in it, but there is hope and the thought that maybe, just maybe it might be true.

By having the priest face the people, act like a good-old-boy and say Mass and change the words....much of the mystery has been dissolved.

We all need mysteries in our lives since our lives and existence are a mystery we all ponder. Why are we here? What happens next?

People who have abandoned the pondering of these mysteries often become despondent, drawn to drugs and escape....sounds like too many Catholics who have abandoned the Church, even if they still attend.
  • francis
    FNJ

What a beautiful discourse of truth.

But everyone else just sat there and no one, no one, complained. It was being present at the glory of the Transubstantiation. Whether or not we could see it or hear the words, we, like pilgrims to an apparition, were touched by it as those who go to Fatima are touched and even healed, without seeing or hearing the words of the Virgin.

This is a perfect expression of the awesome mystery of the Holy Sacrifice.

The people have nothing to add to the saving act of Christ but to bear each others burden and so fulfill the law.
    The high mass was/is not any "better" than a low mass. The high mass is nothing but a low mass adorned with more and more things that enhance the experience. When music, such as contemporary catholic music, takes over and becomes a means for people to express themselves, it is just wrong.

Compare:

I am the bread of life

We adore you, O Christ and we...

and

Here I Am Lord!

O great mystery, and wonderful sacrament,
    that animals should see the new-born Lord, lying in a manger!
    Blessed is the Virgin whose womb was worthy to bear Christ the Lord.
    Alleluia!
  • chonakchonak
    Wouldn't it be more correct to say that the "low" said Mass is nothing but a "high" solemn Mass with some of the adornments removed? I just want to keep in mind which of the two is really the Church's standard.
    That's a good point....would you say that neither one is the Church's standard and that the High Mass is the fullest expression of reverence when it is possible for it to be celebrated? The Said Mass is the minimum required licit liturgy?
  • Ralph BednarzRalph Bednarz
    "Red" does not equal a "rose," and "rose" does not equal "red." Progressive redness does not make a rose rosier. Though "participation" does not equal "solemnity" it is interesting to see how these ideals interpenetrate as they both can be internal and external.
    I think these documents are really practical guidelines, the philosophy remains peripheral, resisting some of the deeper analysis.
    The use of the term "solemnity" in SL gives purpose and direction "participation" and that alone is refreshing!
  • I ask this without snark, just to clarify my tone in cyberspace:
    Why are we talking about SL as if it were on par with MS? It is a regional (USCCB) conference document that doesn't even have recognitio status, and the final draft remained quite problematic, as I recall. Of course it's better than it's now defunct predecessor, but it's status is even lower. Why bother with it? We are under no obligation to do so.

If someone quotes the document to me, I find it perfectly acceptable to be dismissive about it, without being dismissive of the person talking with me, of course. In our effort to educate musicians and nonmusicians alike about authoritative documents on sacred music, I propose our lead in to discussing anything in SL is an opportunity. "I'm happy to discuss that document, but I feel I should point out that it is an advisory document only, without recognition from Rome, and without any relevance for the Church outside the US. I cannot say that it is anything more than an imperfect and partial summary of the Church's desires in the area of sacred music. Let's get to some more stable and authoritative documents, and see if our area of interest is treated in those."
    MaryAnn has a very good point here that ll need to understand.

STTL represents what US bishops who love the great music of the church and what US bishops who hate it have thrashed out among themselves and put on paper as guidelines for the US church. It, like a camel, is a horse that was designed by a committee. "One hump or two?" It fails for that reason to guide people in any what the best music is for the church and at the same time fails to guide people away from the worst music in the church.

Without even touching the issue of music, examine the issue of not wearing clerical garb. The choir is raised above the people in the liturgy and have always worn clerical garb. The finest choirs wear wings. They have said that choirs should not wear clerical garb. They have not been clear about why, though it would appear it is to prevent women from appearing in clerical garb.

So, without any explanation they write: "Cassock and surplice, being clerical attire, are not recommended as choir vesture."

This contradicts church policy. Without any explanation.

It is an imperfect and partial summary of the opposing forces in the US church. MaryAnn is absolutely correct.

Of course bishops who do not believe in angels could care less. It appears we may have a lot of them.
    You Have To Pay For Jewish Food

A very good friend, Jewish, grew up in a suburb of NYC. On weekends they would go to her aunt's restaurant and enjoy great, ethnic meals. But when she turned twelve something happened that really shocked her. The family went to another Jewish deli and this time, before they left, they had to pay for the food!

Up until then she had truly believed that Jewish food was free.

Today I got an email from a Catholic writing from Africa, who was disappointed in the downloads of sacred music that we offer. He explained that he was looking for the "Joyful Lips" music. Now, we all know that the anthems, Sing Joyfully and Cantate Domino, are all Joyful Lips music.

But I know what he wanted and I had to reply that you have to pay for Joyful Lips music. The church has permitted publishers to create a demand for something, something popular and short appeal as a result, something as appealing as a hot fudge sundae to the average person.

It's like the evangelical preachers who write a book about how to change your church...and everyone follows like lemmings. Lemmings, however, do not jump off cliffs to their demise unless Walt Disney's producers force them too. It's the truth. And Bambi's mother did not die in the story that Walt bought and changed. At this point some US bishops appear to be either guilty of manipulating the liturgy or being influenced to do so by outside forces.

Did the choir robe people get to the US Bishops too?
  • chonakchonak
    Which Cantate Domino: Pitoni? It's available at cpdl.org .

Oh-- I see there is a hymn book "With Joyful Lips" published by the Daughters of St. Paul in India. They're probably not operating in the same way as the usual publishers.
  • MarkThompson
    So, without any explanation they write: "Cassock and surplice, being clerical attire, are not recommended as choir vesture."

This contradicts church policy. Without any explanation.

What "church policy" is this? If you are thinking of Tra le Sollecitudini no. 14, recall that this assumes that the choir will contain "only men of known piety and probity of life," for whom it might be appropriate to wear ecclesiastical garb. Are you saying that instruction ought to be followed today?
    The choir has always worn clerical garb. There is no explanation in STTL why the choir should no longer be permitted wearing clerical garb unless there is a reason.

If the reason is that women are not to wear clerical garb, then say so. They totally failed to do this.

I am saying that for the bishops to deny a male choir of men of known piety and probity of life the right to wear clerical garb without justifying why reeks of the control of Amish Bishops. who rise every so often and read the rules. No discussion, no appeals.

This resulted, one week, with a sea of gasoline lawnmowers appearing in front yards of homes in Middlefield, Ohio. Amish homes, that is.
  • MarkThompson
    The choir has always worn clerical garb.

Source? Tra le S., of course, merely says that it is "fitting," which does not amount to any "church policy."

I am saying that for the bishops to deny a male choir of men of known piety and probity of life the right to wear clerical garb without justifying why . . . No discussion, no appeals.

This is misleading, there is an obvious appeal: If members of the laity are being denied their rights, they may file a canonical suit against the priest or bishop who is committing the offense. Oh wait, I just checked, and there's absolutely no right to serve in a choir at all, still less to wear ecclesiastical garb while doing it.
    Can you cite any male choir that prior to Vat II that did not wear clerical garb if they were visible? I understood it was common practice.
  • BruceL
    I ask this without snark, just to clarify my tone in cyberspace:
    Why are we talking about SL as if it were on par with MS? It is a regional (USCCB) conference document that doesn't even have recognitio status, and the final draft remained quite problematic, as I recall. Of course it's better than it's now defunct predecessor, but it's status is even lower. Why bother with it? We are under no obligation to do so.

Mary Ann,

I can only give you one example from the trenches. I work in what is supposed to be a relatively middle of the road to conservative archdiocese in the Midwest. There are a fair number of people here (myself included) who totally agree with your above opinion. HOWEVER, there are also many people that have an "I-don't-care-what-Rome-says" attitude: as soon as you mention an encyclical, curial document, whatever, they glaze over. This would be easily dismissed, except...they are often people we have to work with (or work for!) In those cases, it's better to to quote from SttL than MS or anything else (even if the SttL reference is a direct quote OF MS!) because they take it better. It's baffling, but has been my experience.
  • francis
    Bruce is right. I experience the same thing, except sadly, some here think they belong to their own curia of local perogatives. The words I get is "we are different".
  • Bruce and Francis, your point bears out all too frequently. I guess our task is to educate where we can, and compromise when we have to. The sad reality is that those sacred musicians who know and embrace the directives from Rome are missionaries in our own Church.

When people say things like what you quote above, Francis, I like to play dumb in an attempt to get them to see the implications of their thinking. "Oh, we do things differently here? I thought we were just part of a great big family in the universal Church."
  • Indeed, for our parish Lenten mission, during which our weekday morning Masses were celebrated at the high altar with Gregorian chant propers, I chose catechetical sources based on their "freshness date" and place of origin.

Attached is one of the programs prepared for the daily Mass, Thursday, Lent Week IV, Year I. The catechesis is on the back cover.
  • WGS
    Noel,

The choir I sang in circa 1958 was all men (TTBB). We were not robed. However, we did sing from a rear choir loft. We were quite visible, but that new church had been designed without a choir. Of course, this allowed for the option of having females sing as part of a choir. In fact, other than perhaps for cathedrals or religious institutions, I don't recall many U.S. Catholic churches designed with a choir.
  • Well done, Aris. Great program. Can I pass it along to Mike G?
    Basically, most anything of value in SL is coming from authoritative docs. When you know those well enough, you can navigate SL and point folks to the sources at a prudent time.
  • BruceL
    MA,

When people say things like what you quote above, Francis, I like to play dumb in an attempt to get them to see the implications of their thinking. "Oh, we do things differently here? I thought we were just part of a great big family in the universal Church."

I used to tell people, "the sign in front of the church says 'Roman' Catholic, not 'American' Catholic!"...but that didn't get me very far!
  • Mary Ann, please feel free to pass it on to Mike.

I agree with you that SL has teeth inasmuch as it stands on authoritative teaching. Wherever it doesn't, it is perhaps more fruitful to parse its ambiguities "in light of sacred tradition" as it were, pointing to the norms of the Church and then tolerating local allowances based on the norms. And wherever local allowances are tolerated, they should be defined as such in every instance of their occurrence.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I rather like to think of SttL as an exegetical work:
    This is what the combined wisdom of the USCCB and their advisors has to say about liturgical music in the United States.

From that viewpoint, it should not be ignored and rejected (as some do), but neither should it be accepted as binding law.

The danger, though, is to treat it the way partisans treat everything from the Bible to the Constitution of the US, that is- searching through it for the things that agree with my existing view points and dismissing everything else.

SttL, I think, works best as part of a conversation. Consider the logic and the thinking behind what the document has to say. Take it the way you would take a lecture or a book or an article in a good liturgical journal.
    It might change your perspective, enlarge your vision, give you another datapoint to draw your own conclusions. Or, you might totally disagree with what it says. (And that's okay).
  • francis
    Adam:

If that is the totality of their wisdom combined... then that answers a lot of questions.

The only problem with your analogy to a lecture or a book, is that it is not presented as an opionion, it is presented as authoritative, just like the other previous 3 or 4 that "were" also authoritative. Authoritative documents that present themself as so should not come into question, especially if the subject they are addressing has not changed... ie, liturgy post VII. Yet the perspective keeps changing. I hear, "O well, MICW was good for its time".

Let's be real. Our adversary doesn't feed us lies. He feeds us truth mixed with lies. In fact, he is the King of Deceivers. So the problem I have with things like SttL is a lot of it is good and truthful, but between the lines there are distortions, which brings it onto a totally subjective platform, which automatically dismisses it as authoritative.
  • JahazaJahaza
    "Low Mass is boring and completely inaudible (I'm speaking in general terms here),

I'd like to point out that this is not in accordance with the rubrics.

Most of the Low Mass is said in the elevated voice. Indeed, more of the priest's words are to be audible at Low Mass than at Solemn Mass, because many things said in an elevated voice at the Low Mass are said in an low voice when they are sung by the choir. Generally, when the celebrant says his parts correctly and projects, I can hear the elevated parts throughout our 300 seat (not counting balcony) Gothic revival Church even though he's facing away from me, though I'll have to listen carefully if I'm all the way in the back.

Generally, the (completely adequete) solution here is going to be people sitting closer if they want to hear. If you get so many people at your Low Mass that even with people sitting close by they can't all hear the elevated parts, you probably have enough of a congregation to support a Missa Cantata or split it to two Masses.

In a Church with terrible acoustics, you may need to use a microphone and a switch to turn it on and off as appropriate (switched by the priest, the server, or someone designated as the sound operator).
  • MarkThompson
    Jahaza: If memory serves -- and feel free to correct me here -- what you are saying would only apply post-1955(?), when the middle voice was abolished. Prior to that, you had the low voice (vox secreta), for the priest alone, the middle voice (vox submissa) for the servers, and the raised voice (vox sonora), for the congregation. Very little of the low Mass was actually to be said in the raised voice; I think permission to say the Last Gospel aloud at low Mass was only given in the 1920s.

And I can tell you, I personally have been to a low Mass and not heard a single word until "Corpus Christi custodiat animam tuam" as I was receiving Communion. It's certainly possible that that wasn't in accord with the rubrics (or that the priest just couldn't be bothered to speak up), but it was definitely an ... interesting experience.
  • Ralph BednarzRalph Bednarz
    Can an individual bishop give authoriy to the content of Sttl in his diocese?
  • JahazaJahaza
    Mark, without looking into it, I can't say off the top of my head. But luckily (for improvements in dentistry if nothing else) we are currently post-1955.

I've been to a Mass with liturgical dance, but I try hard not to judge the rite by how it's celebrated, but how it's supposed to be. :)