What do you think?? Musical Lineup for the 5th Sunday of Easter
  • BenBen
    I've been put in charge of a Mass, including music. It is a given the congregation will not sing, so I said, hey! If the cantor's going to be the only one singing, mind as well have her sing something good!:) Last year, we had traditional hymns and "The People's Mass". It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything to write home about either.

Here is tentative lineup for a Mass on May 21. All names refer to a chant piece by that title, unless otherwise noted.

Introit: Cantate Domino, sung in english by the cantor (SEP)
    Kyrie: De Angeles or Jubilate Deo (depending on cantor’s ability), sung by the cantor
    Gloria: Gloria XV, sung by the cantor
    Alleluia: Alleluia in honor of holy William Couture
    Gospel Acc: English, By Aristotle Esguerra
    Credo: Spoken
    Intercessions: Spoken, by a reader
    Offertory Chant: Jubilate Deo universa terra, sung in english by the cantor (SEP)
    Preface Dialog and Preface: Sung by the celebrant
    Sanctus: Jubilate Deo
    Memorial Acclamation: Jubilate Deo (Mortem Tuam)
    Per Ipsum: Sung, by the priest
    Amen: Simple Chant
    Pater Noster: Chanted by all, english. Introduction chanted by the priest if possible.
    Agnus Dei: Sanctus: Jubilate Deo
    Communion Chant: Tanto tempore, sung in english by the cantor (SEP)
    Communion Piece: Ave Maria, Chant
    Recessional: Regina Coeli (simple version from PBC) Chant

What do you think? Do you think there's any changes I should make?
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    If at all possible, get the music for the ordinary of the Mass in the hands of the people...I have often been surprised with congregations that do not usually sing when the get a chance to sing chant.

I also think it can really help to get the people singing if you all sing the creed recto-tono...
  • BenBen
    I will put the ordinary, as well as the text for the propers (to follow along) in the hands of the people, but they still won't sing. It's a crowd of tired 5-12 boys, most of whom I know pretty well. :)

But I will do it. Maybe we'll get some singing. Actually, now that I think about it, there will be some parents there, so we might get some people singing.

Creed recto tono? Awesome!!
  • Kathy
    Would it be at all possible to sing a different chant Mass setting? At least keep this option in mind for future years.
  • BenBen
    @Kathy

A different chant setting? Definitely not this year, because the cantor would not have time to learn everything new.

Right now, she already knows most of the lineup, so it's no big deal being somewhat last minute. But that is a good idea for next year. That's an excellent idea! Probably Missa De Angelis or maybe even Orbis Factor. I will seriously consider it next year for this Mass. I'm sure my cantor friend would love it too...
  • As a Mom of four boys, I have to respectfully differ with Noel about a rectotono Credo. For short texts, fine. But the Creed is a looooong text to sing. I think 5-12 year old boys would start to feel like they were banging their heads against a wall- I know I would.

You want them to want more chant, I'd err on the side of speaking it before I'd sing it rectotono. Or your cantor should be able to learn Credo III with 2+ weeks to go.

And I'd second your thoughts on Mass XI. Many folks actually find it easier than Mass VIII. It could be perceived as more 'spooky' sounding and cool for boys, too.
    There is no difference between speaking and singing the credo recto tono! You are merely teaching them to stretch vowels, good training.

For a group to sing the creed recto tono, it brings them together in ways that speaking it cannot. Short recto tono sounds....stupid. Unless you drop the pitch on the final word like:

Stu-

pid.

But then it becomes desconstructed recto tono.

Note that I am not saying or implying that you or anyone is stupid. Short sentences sung recto tono sound very dry. The Creed grows and grows and grows done this way. Anyone else experience the creed recto tono and want to jump in here?

I do have a chordal accompaniment for the recto tono Creed composed by Mary Louise Schreiner, assistant to Walter Kraft at Trinity Cathedral, Cleveland, Ohio from 1947 that ends with a choral section SATB sung around the congregation Ab.

5-12 year old boys being led in singing by a woman would find it stupid, singing Recto Tono, but intoned by the priest and sung by him they would sing. I'd put money on it.
  • Kathy
    What the heck, Noel.
  • Believe me, I use rectotono for building fluidity on the propers, and as Dom Saulnier recommends, lifting a m2 or M2 on the accented syllable. Stretching vowels is a good idea for an exercise. But in the liturgy? I know it's licit, but how incredibly dull. Then you add accomp to it... presumably to stay on pitch. But it'll probably also slow it down as the kids following the organ rather than naturally move ahead with their voices.

I am stupid in many areas. But singing isn't one of them. In fact, sadly, I don't hesitate to say that because, alongside teaching voice, it's one of the only things I do well.

I know you're not calling me stupid. And I would confidently toss back that rectotno singing on the Creed... with someone leading an octave below most of the chaps, with organ accomp, is a dreary and unnecessary idea. Lipstick on a pig comes to mind. No dress-up makes rectotono desirable, outside of pedagogical purposes.
    I do not suggest that it be accompanied. It can be.

The words of the Credo are not dull. Chanting them, even on one lonely note, raises them a step above speaking them. It's a step in progressing upward.

When people begin to complain that it is dull (personally, I find it really, really dull and deadly to say the Credo) singing it on one note, then teach them to sing it on more than one note. As the wise Charles in CenCa says, step by step.

We are not dressing up recto tono, we are getting people chanting the Credo.

If it were not licit, would it be more attractive?

If given a choice to speak the credo or sing it on one note, I would assume a singer would say, Sing it, sing it! But because it is not as beautiful as an aria you don't like it?

I'm not a singer, but I am a continuo player and I can slow things down or speed them up. Holding one note on the organ is not going to speed up or slow down anything. Playing chords underneath it, yes, then I can slow it down or speed it up, but accompaniment does not make it slow down or speed up.

The lipstick on a pig argument I only accept is if the pig grabs the tube in their cute little cloven hoof and applies it him or herself. I also will eat an organic turkey for Thanksgiving but only if it died a natural death.

Recto Tono is a step to getting people singing. Skipping steps leaves some people behind.

As far as singer credentials, I've worked as a vocal coach in Germany, Italy and the USA. Accompanied masterclasses by a past metropolitan opera star, coached soem when ended up there and assisted a young soprano for three years, accompanied and recorded her audition CD for college. I've been told that 3,000 applied for Juilliard tow eyars ago, 300 got auditions and....and this I know, only 3 were accepted, and she was one of the three.

Many singers would love to have a chance to sing the credo recto tono, you wouldn't, and that's fine. But I don't people to walk away from this posting thinking that they are second class or worst because they do or would like to sing the credo recto tono, that's all.
  • Come now, Noel. I did not say the Creed is dull. I said singing it rectotono is dull.

Benyanke, do whatever you think works best with your group, of course. I'm just saying that I would not subject my choristers to this.

The bottom line for me is I want people to be attracted to the chant, to want to sing it. Rectono singing, while licit, while a rehearsal step, is hardly inspiring. And it plays into the 'chant is boring' hurdle we face with those in parishes who have bad memories.
    If any congregation hears the celebrant begin to chant the creed on one note they are going to pause and then gradually join in in one way or another.

I'd be darn inspired.

No one agrees with me?
  • Kathy
    I don't know about that. But having just led a mixed group in just the age range you've characterized as hyper-chauvanistic in leading the Divine Mercy Chaplet , I'm having trouble hearing the question...
  • BenBen
    Yeah... on second thought, maybe not for the recto-tono creed. I mean if you really want to sing it, you could put it to a simple psalm tone or something.

At first, it sounds waaayyy better than saying it, but when you think about it, something that long recto-tono is just not good, in my mind.
    To do it to a simple psalm tone you'd have to teach it.

An idea that was offered has been torpedoed.

I continue to pull the whistle on The Little Engine That Could.

Toot. Toot. TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT.

The third one was...recto tono.
  • chonakchonak
    Theodore Marier demonstrated the possibilities for a recto-tono Creed with his ingenious accompaniment:
  • BenBen
    Ok everyone. Here's my latest lineup.

Any more suggestions on my latest lineup?

I have changed the following: Added some more communion pieces, including Adoremus in Aternum, and Sub Tuum, changing the psalm and alleluia.

See here for all the music

Introit:
    style='mso-bidi-font-style:normal'>Cantate Domino
    , sung by the cantor (
    style='mso-bidi-font-style:normal'>SEP
    )

Kyrie:
    normal'>Jubilate Deo

sung by the cantor and the people alternating (two-fold kyrie)

Gloria:
    style='mso-bidi-font-style:normal'>
    href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg4p5FR97pI">Gloria VIII

Responsorial Psalm:

To a psalm tone

Alleluia: Mode VI

Gospel Acc:

English, to a psalm tone

Credo: Spoken

Intercessions:

Spoken, by a reader (or cantor)

Offertory Chant:
    style='mso-bidi-font-style:normal'>Jubilate Deo universa terra
    , sung by the

cantor (SEP)

Preface Dialog and

Preface:
    Sung by the celebrant

Sanctus:
    href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7aAav4f4o0">Jubilate Deo

Memorial Acclamation:

Jubilate Deo (Mortem Tuam)

normal'>Per Ipsum
    :
    Sung, by the priest

Amen: Simple

Chant

Pater Noster: Chanted

by all, english. Introduction chanted by the priest if possible.

Agnus Dei:
    href="http://www.adoremus.org/hymns/Agnus%20Dei.mp3">Jubilate Deo

Communion Chant:
    style='mso-bidi-font-style:normal'>Tanto tempore
    , sung by the cantor (
    style='mso-bidi-font-style:normal'>SEP
    )

After the Communion

Chant:

href="http://gloria.tv/?media=77282">Adoremus in Aeternum
    href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrK8xn31Ing">Sub Tuum
    href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSAPvTeyfZk">Ave Maria

Recessional:
    href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-EJiI_yAas">Regina Coeli
    (simple

tone)

• chonakchonak
    Depending on time, you may or may not really need three chants for post-Communion; it's good to allow some quiet time or some time with solo organ music. Choosing among the three listed, I'd pick the Sub Tuum; "Adoremus in aeternum" seems more fitting for Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament than for post-Communion anyway.

I'm very pleased to see the English "Our Father" on the list; I have the impression that congregations really like to sing it.