The Catholic Choirbook Anthology I
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    The first Catholic Choirbook was created to mix some really fine music with other useful music from the Catholic tradition....mixing the two to make this book attractive to choir directors who otherwise would not be interested in a book of only fine Catholic music. Sort of like selling shredded wheat by frosting it.

As we continued to build these books, it became obvious to me that we are creating something that might have a lot of interest, but also pricing ourselves out of the market. Selling one choirbook for $12.95 is possible...two, three and more volumes can make them unaffordable to the typical church choir.

Thinking this through, we have gone through all 5 Choirbooks and created one with 64 Motets and Anthems plus 50+ hymns suitable for a choir to sing, essentially a book that will have music in it that any choir can sing now as well as expand their horizons in the future. Even though it's almost 400 pages, putting all this music in one book under on binding costs $29.95 at Amazon,com....buying it from our site costs $24.95 as a $5 discount is applied as an introductory offer.

But the good news is that when buying more than one in a bulk purchase from us, the price drops even more. There is a link on our site to get a quote on your bulk orders --- 3 or more all get a discount.

We have certain reasons for choosing the music that is in this book. In support of those who choose to buy or download the book, we are creating pages of lessons and aids to teaching this music and improving the singing of choirs, all tied to music in this Anthology.

www.thecatholicchoirbook.com

The Catholic Choirbook Anthology 1

This book, like all our other books is also available as a free download. All the music may be legally copied and shared.

Special thanks to Kevin Allen and the CMAA for permission to include their works and to Matthew Curtis of ChoralTracks.com.

noel jones
    Sales will be possible in about 24 hours due to an errant Tenor Clef in an Alto Part in a work by Palestrina. Downloads with the correction are already flying out the door.
    Clef has been lassoed, pulled to the side and subdued....book is now up for purchase.

This all started 5 years ago, when I spent two hours on Christmas Eve cleaning out a music library at a parish that was all illegal photocopies.

With the resources of the internet, I assembled a choirbook of 200 pages that served us with modifications and additions, much of which you will find in this anthology. There's easy music in it and hard music, some old Catholic hymns that people love and many that have not been heard in 80 years...hopefully, you will find this book useful and something you turn to when in need of something new, something for a special occasion or something totally different to challenge your singers.
    Anthems & Motets
    Adoramus Te Christe Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina
    Adoramus Te Christe Francesco Gasparini
    Adoramus Te Christe Orlando di Lasso
    Adoramus Te Christe William Byrd
    Adoramus Te Christe Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina
    Adoramus Te Christe Theodore Dubois
    Alleluia Al Vangelo Andrea Gabrieli
    Almighty And Everlasting God Orlando Gibbons
    Angelus Autem Domino Felice Anerio
    Assumpta Est Peter Phillips
    Ave Maria Jacob Arcadelt
    Ave Maria Robert Parsons
    Ave Maria Anton Bruckner
    Ave Maria William Byrd
    Ave Maria Giacomo Fogliano
    Ave Maria Francisco Guerrero
    Ave Regina Coelorum Guillaume Dufay
    Ave Verum Edward Elgar
    Ave Verum Corpus William Byrd
    Ave Verum Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    Beati Quorum Via Charles Villiers Stanford
    Cantate Domino Giuseppi Pitoni
    Cantate Domino Hans Leo Hassler
    Cantate Domino Daniel Friderici
    Cantate Domino Giovanni Andrea Cima
    Cantate Domino Giovanni Croce
    Cantate Domino Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    Crucifixus Antonio Lotti
    Crux Fidelis King John IV of Portugal
    Domine Deus Antonio Lucio Vivaldi
    God So Loved The World John Goss
    God So Loved The World John Stainer
    Hear My Prayer, O Lord Henry Purcell
    Hide Not Thou Thy Face Richard Farrant
    If Ye Love Me Thomas Tallis
    Jesu Dulcis Memoria Tomás Luis de Victoria
    Jesu! Rex Admirabilis Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina
    Locus Iste Anton Bruckner
    Lord, For Thy Tender Mercy's Sake Richard Farrant
    Miserere Mei Tomás Luis de Victoria
    Miserere Mei Antonio Lotti
    Non Nobis Domine Tune of Philip Van Wilder
    O Bone Jesu Michelangelo Grancini
    O Bone Jesu Marc'Antonio Ingegniere
    O Magnum Mysterium Pedro de Cristo
    O Magnum Mysterium Tomás Luis de Victoria
    O Sacrum Convivium Roberto Remondi
    O Sacrum Convivium Edward D'Evry
    Panis Angelicus Louis Lambillotte
    Prayer Of King Henry IV Henry G. Ley
    Remember, Remember Not Henry Purcell
    Salve Regina Sigismund Ritter von Neukomm
    Stabat Mater Giovanni Battista Pergolesi
    Tantum Ergo Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina
    Tantum Ergo Déodat de Sévrác
    Tantum Ergo Kevin Allen
    Thou Knowest Lord Henry Purcell

Mass
    Kyrie William Byrd
    Gloria William Byrd
    Credo William Byrd
    Sanctus William Byrd
    Agnus Dei William Byrd

Choral Hymns
    And I Shall See His Face OLIVE
    As the Dewy Shades of Even STUGGART
    Be Joyful, Mary REGINA CAELI
    Beautiful Savior, Mightiest ST. RICHARD GWYN
    Bread of the World I EUCHARISTIC HYMN
    Bread of the World II RENDEZ A DIEU
    Bright Torches in The Darkest Night TYBURN
    Christ is Our Hope WALSINGHAM
    Christ My God ENGLEWOOD
    Christ The Fair Glory ROUEN
    Come Holy Ghost, Creator Blest LAMBILOTTE
    Come Holy Ghost, Creator Come SOUTHWOLD
    Come Holy Ghost, Who Ever One O JESU, MI DULCISSIMI
    Come, Thou Holy Spirit Come VENI SANCTI SPIRITUS
    Cross Of Jesus CROSS OF JESUS
    Down In Adoration TANTUM ERGO
    Tantum Ergo TANTUM ERGO
    Firmly I Believe And Truly DRAKES BOUGHTON
    Glorious Mother QUEEN OF HEAVEN
    Godhead Here In Hiding ADORO TE
    Hark The Sound Of Holy Voices MOULTRIE
    Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All SWEET SACRAMENT
    Jesus, Son Of Mary ADORO TE
    Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence PICARDY
    Light's Abode Celestial Salem AD PERRENIS
    Lo! Round The Throne ERSCHIENEN IST DER HERRLICHE TAG
    Lord Jesus, When I Think On Thee WORD OF FIRE
    Lord Of Our Life AD PERRENIS
    Maiden Mother, Meek And Mild ORIENTIBUS PARTIBUS
    Now My Tongue, The Mystery Telling DOWLING
    O Blessed Trinity D'EVRY
    O Bread Of Heaven GILCHRIST
    O Christ The King GALVESTON ISLAND
    O Day Of Rest And Gladness WOODBIRD
    O God Unseen, Yet Ever Near THIRD MODE MELODY
    O Lord, I Am Not Worthy NON DIGNUS
    O Love Of God DEO GRATIAS
    O Salutaris Hostia 1 O SALUTARIS
    O Saving Victim 2 O SALUTARIS
    O Salutaris Hostia 1 DUGUET
    O Saving Victim 2 DUGUET
    O Splendor Of God's Glory Bright PUER NOBIS NASCITUR
    O Trinity Of Blessed Light BROMLEY
    O What The Joy And Glory Must Be O QUANTA QUALIA
    O Where Are Kings And Empires Now RODMELL
    Only-Begotten, Word Of God Eternal ROUEN
    Rejoice In The Lord CAMPBELL LANE
    Round The Lord, In Glory Seated RUSTINGTON
    See, Amid The Winter's Snow HUMILITY
    Sing, My Soul, His Wondrous Love ST. BEES
    Virgin-Born, We Kneel Before Thee HARRIET
    Who Are These Like Stars Appearing ALL SAINTS
    Word Of God To Earth Descending DRAKES BOUGHTON

Chants
    Crux Fidelis Gregorian Chant
    Ave Verum Gregorian Chant
    Jesu Dulcis Memoria Gregorian Chant
    Stabat Mater Gregorian Chant
    Tantum Ergo Gregorian Chant
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Just a note to all:
    I love the Catholic Choirbook series.

I've done a handful of pieces out of it and plan to do many more.
  • miacoyne
    My copy was delivered this morning. It's beautiful. Thank you so much, and the practice sound track will also be a great help for our schola.
  • Gilbert
    How much more expensive are hardbound copies? What sort of discount is offered when you buy 3 or more?
    BULK SALES PRICES (updated May 10, 2011)

Pricing on more than one of either size paperback drops it to 19.95 each on the large size and regular size paperback.

We discount all hardbound (regular size only) books from the price of $39.49 to $29.49 based upon availability. It's a very simple plain green library cloth binding. Long lasting.

This updates the initial pricing of the hardbound to $39.49 for a single from $37.50 but this adjustment also includes free shipping to the US at this time.

.Future prices may change.
    Many thanks for the Chant Cafe review! Working with Dr. Mahrt's translations and the list of them from the St. Ann Choir web site really was an inspiration to us here.

And it doesn't hurt that Matthew Curtiss of www.choraltracks.com has made recordings of many of these available.
  • Gilbert
    So, no one can get the hardbound copy yet, until a certain number of people have ordered it? Am I understanding this correctly? And they'll all be 27.50 each, whether one orders 1 copy, or 20?
    Yes, we can lock in the $27.50 price once we get orders for 16 books...and set up the tooling.

And it would apply to one or more books....

To request an order there is a link on the main page of the site now for quote requests for hard cover orders. Once the number of 16 is reached, we'll send out paypal invoices and get it all rolling. We're a very low budget operation here, so we work hard to keep everything financially sound. We have been in the business of publishing music for 10 years and have been in the black since day one....of course, we haven't made much money, but have not had to borrow any either.

I remember your interest in a collection of the books since the beginning and that has kept it in my mind since then. Thanks for this!

The hardbound edition we think will increase the appeal to pastors who need to ok the purchase. It was a bit of a bear to do because the large 8 by 10 size is not an industry standard size and for that reason, is not available in hardbinding. But the slightly smaller size makes the book lighter, which is good, so we figure that it will be attractive to some in paperback and hardback.

We also revised ALL the music files, one by one, to a better music font and staff line, to make the music jump a bit more off the page more like the wonderful Oxford editions we see. And, since we were doing it and book IV and V at the same time there was considerable....confusion at times, all mine, of course.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I have a copy now, and I'm very impressed by it. It would be an excellent resource for a starting choir that would take them along for 4 or 5 years!
  • Gilbert
    Noel, I've downloaded the free PDF of the Anthology, and I've noticed a few minor grammatical errors/typos. Will those be in the hardbound version or will they be fixed before then?
    Please, everyone who finds anything of question, please contact me at: noeljones@usit.net

The unique thing about on demand publishing is that there is no inventory and changes can be made at any time. So anything that anyone finds an questions, please let me know so that we can improve the quality of the book.

I'd like to get those changes, no matter how minor, in the print book as soon as possible, and I thank my proofreaders for their diligence that got it to the point it is in now. We were able purchase a large monitor for proofing and that dramatically sped things up.

So, Gilbert, and others, anything you notice please let us know.
    Quick survey (takes an average 15 seconds) about your preferences as far as binding and a place for your comments about the book:

Click here to take survey
  • Great motet selection. So the idea is similar to the St. Gregory, only without editing and composition tied to the preferences of the era, am I right? I always liked the particularly Catholic, liturgically driven idea of St. Gregory's hymnal, but the romantic editing (not to mention the layout) drove me nuts.
    When my boss gets back from vacation, I hope to order one. Thanks for all the work that must have gone into this!
    Yes, you caught that. When I was twelve I got to begin playing at church. All that we had (very small town) was the St. Gregory and a set of the Rene Quinard improvisations on Advent Chants to play from.

That book served as the choir book for everything, including Holy Week, Anniversary of Ordination....everything. And provided organ music since we didn't have any. That's one of the reason everything in this book has accompaniment. Some directors who play piano or organ (including me) can get a better handle on the music by being able to play it and much of it makes good music to play. I'm going to be in a church next week and I am looking forward to playing the Kevin Allen Tantum Ergo on the organ there....

I still like the St. Gregory, but the editing drives me crazy, too. And I have worked with choirs who refused to vary from the expression markings like they were urtext or something.

Although we tend to discount their work, Montani and Rossini did do a lot to keep the church active in music without resorting to accordeons, pianos or guitars.

Thank you for the kind words.
  • Gilbert
    Ok, Noel, I just looked over the PDF online, and this is what I found.

Page 1, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but the numeral “1” was used in “Anthology 1”. You've used the roman numeral “I” everywhere else that I've seen.

First word on page 5 is “Tmusic”, and it's not a complete sentence. This was not the case in an earlier download. I think the first line got deleted.

Links at end of page 5. “www.kevinallencom” missing the period. Should be “www.kevinallen.com”

Page 13, backslash before first word, “\Our”.
    These, aside from the "." were due to dropped caps that InDesign failed to maintain for some reason. Strange.

I've also fixed a couple of non-centered graphics and added a missing "i" in Jesu Rex. (Thank you, Mia!)

Reposting in a few minutes.

Thank you, thank you!
    An information sheet packet that explains the Anthology, lists the options and shows sample pages full size that might be helpful when approaching a pastor, budget committee or parish council is available for download.

Also have added a link for bulk sales in the US and overseas.
  • Gilbert
    So, now we can order the hardbound copy? I'm finding the ordering process a bit confusing.
    Thanks for letting me know. I am revising the order page to make it simpler!
  • Gilbert
    Yes, I think I've figured it all out, but it is kinda confusing since there are 2 different ordering websites, with the 5 dollar discount code used for paperback editions, and not the hardbound.
  • Gilbert
    I think i've found a textual mistake. Pg. 12, 2nd paragraph, first sentence.

"This article is part of a booklet that contains a collection translations of the choral works that the St. Ann Choir sings, created for the congregation to use to follow the singing of the texts."

Seems it's missing a word "of".

Should it be, ""This article is part of a booklet that contains a collection of translations of the choral works ..."
    Continuing to revise the order page....
    Revised, simpler order links on front page are up.

Corrections: I have added the missing "of" to the update list.

Someone got one copy of a book with a few of the graphics wildly off-center. Email me at noeljones@usit.net and I will replace the book free of charge. Just one went out before we replaced that file.

Anyone who gets a book that they are dissatisfied with due to any sort of error, I will gladly replace them, ok? Happy customers are good customers. Thank you all!
  • Gilbert
    Ok, Noel, I've found more errors/inconsistencies. Bear with me!

On page 5, it lists www.kevinallen.com, however, this is not Kevin Allen's website. That actually links to the Warner Bros. website!? It's correct on the page where his Tantum Ergo is. http://kevinallen.info/

The Table of Contents lists:

Tantum Ergo, Palestrina, 254
    Tantum Ergo, Sevrac, 260
    Tantum Ergo, Allen, 263

In the book it is actually:

Tantum Ergo, Allen, 254
    Tantum Ergo, Palestrina, 260
    Tantum Ergo, Sevrac, 266

In the Table of Contents, William Byrd's Ave Verum is printed as "Ave Verum Corpus" contrasting with the other 2 composers' "Ave Verum" without "Corpus".
    This is also the case in the "Music by Voices" section, and "Composers" section.
    In the actual music text, however, all three are titled "Ave Verum"

In the Table of Contents, these hymns are listed:

O Salutaris Hostia 1 O SALUTARIS 361
    O Saving Victim 2 O SALUTARIS 361
    O Salutaris Hostia 1 DUGUET 362
    O Saving Victim 2 DUGUET 362

I think it should be:

O Salutaris Hostia 1 O SALUTARIS 361
    O Saving Victim 1 O SALUTARIS 361
    O Salutaris Hostia 2 DUGUET 362
    O Saving Victim 2 DUGUET 362

unless I misunderstand.

In the Choir Training Guide section, pg. 10, in paragraph 5, and paragraph 6, "The Anthology" capitalizing the "The", is used. This contrasts with the other places in the book, the Introduction on page 5, and the section on Dr. Mahrt on page 12, where the article "the" is not capitalized, unless it begins the sentence of course.

Thank you for your hard work, Noel!
  • Gilbert
    Any updates to the book?
  • DougS
    Should "STUGGART" be "STUTTGART"?
    Stuttgart assumed its correct spelling in an earlier edit! Current downloads and books have all the corrections in place.

Thanks!
  • Gilbert
    Any current news on the anthology?
  • Well, now that you ask!

We had a problem originally in developing the hardbound version because the printer did not offer hardbinding in the 8" by 10" size, so it meant reformatting the entire book to the smaller size. And also meant correcting not one version, but both versions, taking the original music pages and adjusting them to fit one version of the other.

The account exec who was handling this left the company and I got to work with a new one, which gave me a chance to ask a bunch of questions over again and....as a result, the hardbound books are being shipped this week in the full 8" by 10" format!

The large size was picked to make them readable in almost any choirloft....most of which are notorious for bad lighting. So this has made up very happy.

Development of the CD for this book, to assist choirs in getting up to speed in singing this music, is well underway. More about that soon.

And, as a reminder, this book is particularly designed to assist you in getting your choir comfortable with singing Latin vowels. That's why there are 6 versions of Adoramus Te Christe and 6 versions of Ave Maria plus the chant version....and two settings of Ave Verum plus the chant version. I am building webpages to help guide people through this all....

Personally, I am disappointed to not be at the Colloquium this year...a sudden business meeting has popped up that I cannot miss and I leave on Tuesday of that week, spend three days and fly back on Friday...I've totally abandoned any thoughts of being employed by a Catholic church in this diocese, so employment possibilities remain important! [and don't think that employment outside the church is rosy....my wife, on staff for 13 years, had her pay reviewed by the rector [his first pastorate] and he said, "I'm not sure what problem is here, we ARE paying you at the bottom of your pay scale."] At least in the Episcopal church the vestry is made up of people who DO have a voice in decisions that are made.

There will be sample display copies of our books to view at the Colloq (thank you, Mia!) and 10 copies of the paperback Anthology at only $15 to purchase (thank you, Ryan) at the sales table. ...a portion of sales is going to the CMAA for all that they do. Please remember that the chant books are written for beginners.
  • Gilbert
    I noticed the PDF is not working. Will this be fixed soon? Will it show the exact copy of what will be printed in the book itself, both paperback and hardbound?
  • You may be working off an old link - make sure that you hit RELOAD or REFRESH in your browser.

The most recent version of the download when it arrives at your computer will be: TheCatholicChorbookAnthology051611.pdf

This is the master file for paperback and hardbound versions (as I said above, having it the same size for both has tremendously simplified this.)
  • Short, positive review by Rollin Smith in Jan. 2012 "The American Organist" concludes "a tremendous resource for all church musicians."