Latin Banned In Our Parish
  • Hi

I am a Music Director and we have been singing GC ever since I have been here. We have had a change in the administration recently, and yesterday I got word from on high that Latin may not be used in the Mass anymore in our music here. Heartbroken, I am amazed that this can actually happen in a Catholic Church. Is there any recourse to this silliness?
  • I keep asking 'by what authority' these people forbid Latin, chant, and other music of our heritage.
    I have yet to receive an answer.
    An oecumenical council and successive holy fathers have commanded and admonished in favour of the very things that are being forbidden.
    The Church's highest authorities have spoken plainly.
    By what authority, then, can these things be forbidden??? The answer is - none, nil.
    How sad these men are. They expect obedience, but they will not obey.
  • TruthBeTold,

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with the new administration, but a humbly and kindly phrased letter that cites Vatican II, John Paul II, and Benedict XVI on the retention of Latin and Gregorian chant would certainly be in order. This letter could, perhaps, be copied to the chancery -- it depends on where your local ordinary and diocese are "at" with regard to these questions, but sometimes the mention of sending something to the bishop can make people nervous and back down. Also, surely mention that there was already a custom of long standing and, moreover, a custom that reflects the larger and very longstanding tradition of the Church... I don't know if any of this will help.

Ah, yes, don't forget to cite the new USCCB document "Sing to the Lord," which expressly recommends the use, and recovery where absent, of GC.
  • chonakchonak
    Sing the Kyrie; since it's in Greek, it hasn't been forbidden.

Seriously, what's most important is that the music for the Mass be beautiful, not that it be in the Church's classic languages. Maybe we should ask more about the context of your situation: has the Mass been fully sung? Are the dialogues of the priest and people sung? Are the priest's prayers chanted? If you're not there yet, let that be the goal. (That's what the Church called for after Vatican II: see Musicam Sacram from 1967.) If you can get your new parish priest to cooperate in doing that -- to compensate for the loss of Latin, so to speak -- you'll really be accomplishing something important and beneficial for the parish.

In the meantime, there are English adaptations of Gregorian chant to use: see the CMAA site for resources such as the "American Gradual", the "Simple English Propers", the "Plainchant Gradual", etc.
  • Liam
    A staff member who copies the chancery is looking for a pink slip (and chanceries will invariably tend to support the monarchical powers of the pastor over staff). Parishioners (never anonymously) can escalate to the chancery if the pastor is unresponsive to the initial inquiry, but it's not worthwhile unless you have good reason to think the chancery would be sympathetic.
  • Good point by Rich. Also (may I add), if you have a Worship III kicking around, there are chants and chant-styles of Mass Ordinaries a-plenty...
    Gloria by John Lee
    Sanctus and "Christ Has Died" (Sacramentary Chants)
    Amen (use just the single "do do-re" or "fa fa-sol", or the one adapted from Sanctus VIII)

And if you have a Worship II, the Agnus Dei from Merbecke in English.

Even better, if you have a "Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles" kicking around, you have NOTHING to worry about. Plenty of chant ordinaries and Psalms in English, many written by Ted Marier himself.

BMP
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    TruthBeTold, my experience has been that the musician can do NOTHING without the support of the priest.

"Friction" and division during Mass is not good.

So, 'don't cast your pearls before swine' --- in the sense that, you might not want to to try to "force" Gregorian chant in a situation where it will only cause friction. Go find a place that is open to it ...
  • TbT,
    Think about how this might go down:
    Go to OCP.org website, click products, enter into search window "Inclina Domine" order and receive CD.
    Burn a copy of said CD to a clean, unlabeled CD and place it in an unlabeled jewel case.
    Hand it personally to the highest power that be. Invite them to listen to this "new" liturgical music for the Mass.
    It's all chant, it's all in English, it's absolutely perfect.
  • --M. Jackson Osborn
    Yes, I agree with what you have said. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the situation.

--ProfKwasniewski

Thank you very much for your recommendations.

--chonak
    That is funny... yes... the Kyrie.

Yes, we sing the Mass and sometimes the diaglogues, but that is less since the new admin. However, we hope to implement the new chant that ICEL has ready for the New Missal.

We have been singing English propers, but they are being eliminated too.

--Liam
    Totally. I don't think I am going there (above present powers that be)

--Brian Michael
    Thank you for suggestions. I will look at those.

Where can one purchase the "Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles"?

--JMO
    Yes... you think the way I do. No friction, but education in love.

--Charles in CenCA
    They are determined to sing 'songs'... nothing else. All other things we have been doing, Gregorian chant, English propers, even solos, have been shelved in preference to active participation of the people.

Thank you everyone for your help and comments. I will let you know how things unfold as time goes on.
  • francis
    TBT:

Been there, done that. You have my prayers.
  • chonakchonak
    "Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles", is, sadly, out of print. It's Theodore Marier's hymnal for St. Paul Church in Cambridge, Mass., home of the Boston Archdiocesan Choir School.
  • Go to our site: www.basicchant.com

Download a free copy of If You Can Sing JOY TO THE WORLD....To access a free download of the book and our other books including the Choirbook Series, send an email to download@thecatholicchoirbook.com with DOWNLOAD as the subject and you will receive a link back.

Go to page 96 of the book, and then to: http://basicchant.com/audio-files-for-learning/index.html

Please select and play the 96a and 96b audio samples.

Gregorian Chant in English is alive and well today. The other samples will also be up in vocal rather than piano form as they become available.
  • There is a lot of grace to be gained from obedience.

I show my pastor as much trust and faithfulness as I can. He knows I will play whatever he asks:
    even "Shepherd Me O God." In turn he eagerly accepts my choices when I offer a melismatic Alleluia as a more exciting alternative to his suggestion of the Celtic Alleluia, We have a good dynamic for a healthy chant filled liturgies. If he told me No Latin; I would defer to his authority over me with delight.I would suffer with joy, but I could still do a great job. And Father Kelly' s English chants are brilliant- if you can't sing Latin.
    Our parish was once a bit closed to Latin , except for Taize. So I nurtured that repertoire ( that's got be worth something off my purgatory) and later gradually replaced the Taize with real Gregorian Antiphons. We still introduce new congregational chant hymns and songs in English and after time add the Latin text.
  • Also, for Psalms, the Chabanel project has plenty of settings in English that are written in chant. I won't mention composer names because they're all very good.
    BMP
  • A pastor I worked with faced the "Latin Problem" by banning it form Mass, bit told me that we could sing all the Latin we wanted before and after Mass.

These bans come from complaints by influential people in the parish, not always the wealthy givers - as happens in some protestant churches - but rather the people who run the fish fries, the knights. People who have easy access to the pastor because of what they do.

The monday morning complaint calls are looked upon as mosquito bites and threats to leave the parish are welcomed. There seems to be a real disconnect between keeping the people happy and being a pastor. That must be the feudal aspect. Of course, when the only people you are responsible to you are the bishop and the pope. it's easy to go your own way not expecting the flyswatter of God to come down and wipe you out because you don't care about his people.
  • OlbashOlbash
    This all makes me very sad, breaks my heart, really. There are as many as four big Catholic jobs opening up this spring in Massachusetts, but stories like this make me want to keep humming along with my comfortable Protestant job. My prayers are with you, TbT.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Michael Olbash: you don't work for the Catholic Church? But you make top-notch Gregorian recordings, correct?
  • Liam
    The problem with Catholic jobs is that they often come with Catholic pastors.
  • Who only can be fired by Bishops and the Pope. And, aside from a few stellar priests, many who care less about whether people leave parishes.
  • In a time when restoration of the music and liturgy is happening, at least one diocese under a politically appointed bishop has gotten rid of all the trained church musicians but one, and now has driven a very holy priest from the priesthood. The Chant Mass was not mentioned at the diocesan training event...rather 4 popular masses were presented....
  • OlbashOlbash
    JMO, yes, that's me!

FNJ, you remind us that the state of music is but a tiny symptom of a greater illness.
  • Is it any wonder?
    I and a colleague recently had a meeting with a priest with authority in the matter of priestly formation at a nearby seminary.
    He plainly stated, clueless as to the import of his statement, that he was a very practical man -
    'the days of the praying priest are over', said he, 'we are now training administrators'.
    Is it any wonder that the products of such places do not know, nor care about the council's and popes' teaching about liturgy?
    To such men the liturgy is just another part of their job, and likely not the part they care most about. Why should it require its own musical tradition?
    They don't see why we should make a unique fuss over God at the liturgy. But they have learned about their prerogatives as (not very Christ-like) Alter Christi and they do expect to be obeyed - even when obeying them is disobedience to the church and an authority superior to theirs. Isn't something grotesquely amiss in our relationship with such men?
  • francis
    Wow, MJO... that is telling but very sad.
  • It is interesting that, by establishing that the English Chant Mass and the Missa Luna are the only Mass Ordinaries to be sung for one year, that Latin Mass Ordinaries are banned as a result.

What was possibly a step forward for chant is instead, an act that stifles Gregorian Latin Chant and does not require that any parish sing the English Chant.
  • chonakchonak
    I think a sensible priest would interpret the rule thus: the folks who promulgated this rule weren't even thinking of Latin Mass ordinaries, and therefore didn't intend to ban them.

After all, surely the diocesan liturgy experts would not attempt to impose something so contrary to the Council's express intentions, let alone that they would try to con their wise bishop into signing off on it.

Or have you already received a written "no" in response to your inquiry letter?
  • BenBen
    Honestly, I would either ask them, or even just go ahead and use latin ordinaries if you wish. Isn't the graduale the offical music book for the Mass?

Banning all latin the latin arrangments seems as upsurd as saying you can't use the Novus ordo Missale Romanum.