When to sing the Marian Anthem at/after Mass...
  • All,

We have a fledgling schola and are trying to add, slowly but regularly, new bits of chant to the Mass (OF). We'd like
    to sing the seasonal Marian anthem. Is there a correct time to do this?

For example, should it be sung after the dismisall but before the recessional? Or is it effectively used *as* as recessional hymn? (or maybe it's neither?)

pax,
    Scott
  • GavinGavin
    There is, properly, no such thing as a "recessional hymn", so it would be best to sing it immediately after the dismissal.
  • Gavin,

Yes, I mean, practically speaking, how might this work?

My current thinking is that, after the dismissal, Father will stay in place and we'll sing the anthem, then we'll sing a hymn as they recess.

Regarding the "recessional hymn", yes, of course it's not part of the rubrics. Does that, in your thinking, mean it shouldn't be done? (I don't mean this defensively, I haven't given it any thought... although, my first inclination is to think it's generally a good idea).

pax,
    Scott
  • WGS
    It's not a "seasonal" matter, but the Salve Regina is spoken in a vernacular language usually at the end of each low EF Mass as part of the Leonine Prayers. I recall when one celebrant chose to intone the Salve Regina in the midst of those otherwise spoken prayers. That did seem a bit awkward.

Still, the Salve Regina or other Marian Anthems don't seem appropriate for processional music. Perhaps your celebrant might remain in place facing the altar or a statue of Mary while the all sing a Marian Anthem. Perhaps you might make it a choir tradition to sing a Marian Anthem as your last offering after the final procession.

As to the Salve Regina, I suggest you stick firmly to the rhythmic phrasing as indicated in the Liber Cantualis. There are quite a few personal variations in circulation.
  • GavinGavin
    No, I mean to say you have the dismissal and then the antiphon is sung while Fr. is leaving. A good priest would time his recession so that he isn't out until it's over, but the Marian antiphons are short enough that it shouldn't be an issue. In other words, no recessional/closing hymn.

As for the recessional hymn, I STRONGLY oppose getting rid of it - although purely as a matter of personal preference and NOT Church legislation. However, I don't think there's a better place to put a Marian antiphon. Maybe it would work as a prelude, but depending on your congregation it's possible no one would hear it. I'd say whatever you do immediately following the dismissal, just do one of it.

I'd describe my school of thought as it concerns legislation as "after deo gracias, you can quite literally send in the clowns." That is to say that since there is no proper music for the priest's leaving the sanctuary so one can do whatever they find prudent, whether hymn, Marian antiphon, or organ voluntary.
  • eft94530eft94530
    http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_instr_19670305_musicam-sacram_en.html

"36. There is no reason why some of the Proper or Ordinary should not be sung in said Masses. Moreover, some other song can also, on occasions, be sung at the beginning, at the Offertory, at the Communion and at the end of Mass. It is not sufficient, however, that these songs be merely "Eucharistic"—they must be in keeping with the parts of the Mass, with the feast, or with the liturgical season."

"65. In sung or said Masses, the organ, or other instrument legitimately admitted, can be used to accompany the singing of the choir and the people; it can also be played solo at the beginning before the priest reaches the altar, at the Offertory, at the Communion, and at the end of Mass.

The same rule, with the necessary adaptations, can be applied to other sacred celebrations."