The REQUIEM: can it be superimposed into the OF/OCF?
  • I think many of us ought to consider the reality that our faithful witness to the fit worship of God doesn't necessarily end upon our own last breath.
    I have made it known to my wife, colleagues and a qualified celebrant who could "preside" over a true EF (redundancy obvious alert) Requiem, that a fine adherence to that rite would be my last and best witness to our rites and the eschatological truths contained therein.
    However, I've always comprehended that at that point in earth-time, I won't be actually present, or as the joke goes, "Elvis has left the building." Therein is the rub.
    The what-if scenario is my inquiry:
    How can we craft the Propers of the Requiem into an OF Mass so that should our liturgy will cannot or will not be acceptable to TPTB, an ordo can be confidently, lawfully presented to the presiding ministers (who might not be the ones we so designate in our own wills, or by other bereaved who come to us with such specific concerns) so that outright dismissal would, at least, be determined to be out of the question, or that said presiding celebrants would respect the licit, articulated ritual aspects of the Requiem grafted into the OCF?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    According to the Gregorian Missal, which you can point to as the official book of chanted Propers for the OF in Latin, the chants from the EF Requiem were carried over. In other words, the chant, "Requiem in aeternam . . ." is the Introit, the "Subvenite" is still the appointed chant for the incensing of the body at the conclusion, the In paradisum is still the appointed chant for the procession leaving the church. The "Libera me" and all of the other chants are all still there, and still considered the official chants of the OF "Mass of Christian Burial."

The rite didn't change as dramatically as most people experience it. It's just that the season of silliness stripped all of its dignity, thus ignoring "Say the Black, Do the Red".
  • The only chant loss I'm aware of is a big one- the Dies irae. My understanding is that it has been suppressed in the OF. But I suppose one could program it as a prelude or offertory? The melody and text are powerful.

Btw, Charles, because you can't see my tight-lipped pout as I write this, allow me to officially register my displeasure at talk of your funeral.
  • I've done it, inserting the Hylton 23rd Psalm in place of the Responsorial Psalm, everything else in Latin....the only difficulty comes when you reach the end of the Agnus Dei...in this case the congregation, without looking, sang the current one from their pulp missals even though they had the music in their hands for the proper one.

This was a funeral for a woman who loved the choir.
  • Unless the funeral occurs during Lent, the Tract Absolve, Domine is replaced by an Alleluia. The Responsory Subvenite, formerly appointed to be sung during the entrance into the church, may now be sung at the Final Commendation and Farewell. The other loss is the Responsory at the Absolution over the Bier (or Catafalque), Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna. This should not be confused with the Responsory of the Third Nocturn of Matins in the Office of the Dead (EF), Libera me, Domine, de viis inferni, now also a legitimate option for the Final Commendation and Farewell. If you have a Graduale Romanum (1974) you'll find it all there in the proper place for the OF. The basic chants, along with a selection of readings and orations are also in the Gregorian Missal, readily available for download (thanks to the wonderful CMAA).

That said, I think it a prudent exercise of our Christian stewardship to plan ahead; nevertheless I agree with the sentiment expressed by MaryAnn above. God grant you many more years in His service with us here on earth, Charles!
  • Dear friends, particularly MaryAnn and Pedro (monarchs of chant and practice both)
    Wendy's made it abundantly clear that God has me not only breathing but functioning for another decade. Interestingly enough, He's provided a few obvious "signs and wonders" that attest to her dominion over me. So....
    But I think many of us will have to face this sort of prudence and attest to it in our liturgical wills as we boomers who've "seen the light" now understand that putting out the dog with Brahms et al at these funeral occasions was always a vanity. Even though planning ahead may itself seem a vanity, at least the liturgy and the music should reflect a humble witness, in all ways.
  • I'm more of a jester, in all truth. Especially considering I forgot the Alleluia in the OF. Seems so strange to me now to sing an Alleluia at a funeral, I just forgot about it.
    Also, I have a great story about the Responsory 'Libera me'. Remind me to tell you at Colloquium.
    Anyhoo, I do agree its prudent to plan one's funeral, while I'm also glad to hear Wendy is talking some sense to my favorite dramatic Scot.
  • chonakchonak
    I think it would be licit to sing the Dies Irae as an extra piece (alius cantus aptus) at the Offertory.
  • Mark P.
    At the 1979 funeral of James Francis, Cardinal McIntyre, the Dies irae was sung as a meditation after the second reading in a setting by Pietro Yon (!) that alternated between chant and polyphony. It was held at St. Basil's on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, which was then a relatively new building. Paul Salamunovich directed the choir.