Maundy Thursday introit: doxology?
  • Hi everyone,

The Anglican Use Gradual omits a doxology (“Gloria Patri…”) for the introit on Maundy Thursday. I thought this was a typo, but actually, the 1962 Missal specifically says to omit the doxology from Passion Sunday (i.e. 5th Lent) until Holy Saturday. Since Passion Sunday, in the modern calendar, is now “moved” to coincide with Palm Sunday, and since Palm Sunday has no introit, it seems the Anglican Use Gradual is just following the 1962 Missal’s precedent.

I cannot, though, find a reference to any corresponding rubric in the 1974 Graduale Romanum nor in the Graduale Simplex. Has this practice, then, been abandoned in the modern Roman Rite; i.e. does the modern Roman Rite presume (prescribe?) a doxology in the introit on Maundy Thursday?
  • In the pre-Vatican II practice, the following rubric was given in the Roman Missal:

Ab hac dominica (Dominica Prima Passionis) usque at feriam V in Cena Domini inclusive, in Missis de Tempore non diciture psalmus "Iudica" ante confessionem, NEQUE GLORIA PATRI IN ANTIPHONA AD INTROITUS et post psalmum "Lavabo."

The 1974 "Graduale Romanum" does NOT have a parallel rubric.

By the way, your inference is incorrect---"Passion Sunday" is not moved to Palm Sunday. In the pre-Vatican II rite, "Passiontide" was a separate-subseason within Lent, when the statues and crucifixes were veiled, and where the Office hymns were changed from those of Lent to those of the Passion (such as Vexilla Regis at Vespers). The pre-Vatican II name for the Sunday beginning Holy Week was already "Dominica II Passionis seu in Palmis." The current Roman configuration simply discontinued the separate subseason of Passiontide.

J. Michael Thompson
    Pittsburgh, PA