Intonation of Gloria
  • incantuincantu
    The GIRM states that "The Gloria is intoned by the priest or, if appropriate, by a cantor or by the choir" (53). That this is a long standing tradition is evident from the huge body of polyphonic settings that begin with "et in terra pax hominibus," assuming that the first line would be intoned by the priest. For some reason, this practice has not been universally followed in recent years. Does anyone know of any legislation that allows the words "Glory to God in the highest" to be sung by anyone other than the priest or, if necessary, the cantor or choir?

Whether or not an English setting of the Gloria is composed in such a way as to allow it to be intoned by a soloist will be one of my criteria when selecting vernacular settings of the Mass.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Just FYI, these two Gloria settings were specifically designed to allow the Priest to intone:

GLORIA in honor of SAINT EDMUND ARROWSMITH

GLORIA in honor of SAINT RALPH SHERWIN
  • I agree that all settings should take this into consideration and mine do.

Fortescue lays out that chants that are sung unaccompanied by the priest, including the Gloria and Credo, but does not cite legislation as a basis for this.
  • This Gloria, too, calls for a priest's intonation...
    BMP
  • JDE
    Brian, this setting is very good! We may use it this Christmas; I'm still debating, and we have a little time. I may also venture back into the waters of composing.

We used your setting of Psalm 22 for Palm Sunday and will use your Easter Sunday Psalm 118 as well. Since we only print bulletins a few times a year now, I can only choose better settings (that is, not Respond & Acclaim) for Holy Week and Christmas. Alas.

Thanks for this music. I will keep my eyes open for the choral version, if you release one.

Peace,
    Jonathan Eason

PS. Are you coming to Pittsburgh this year?
  • Jonathan,
    No Pittsburgh for me. Very busy summer. I have a daughter that's getting married.
    Thanks much for your kind words. There will be more to come. Stay tuned at christusvincitmusic.blogspot.com for "almost constant" updates. There is also a "Version 2" of this Gloria, which alternates between the congregation and SATB polyphony (or for short, "Vatican style!").

As for "Respond and Acclaim" - I NEVER limit myself to that, regardless. I've used "some" but mainly use the Grail/Gelineau (even when there is OCP in the pews), some originals here and there, and some of the other Chabanel stuff. I've even used a few from Peloquin's "Songs of Israel" volumes. If the people have any kind of missalette, they're bound to at least have the WORDS to the Psalm's antiphon. They don't necessarily need to follow the music (your choir has to, your congregation doesn't necessarily have to).

Peace,
    BMP
  • JDE
    Brian,

I agree about the usability of other settings - my main problem is in having to work together with the other ensembles because we "have to" have music that everybody can agree on. I am not a big R&A-hata, so most of the time the little ditties don't bother me much.

Sorry to hear I won't see you in Pittsburgh. I have a chant wedding the day before Pentecost - these happy children are getting a Paschaltide wedding, complete with lots of extra "Alleluia." I'm donating my services to thank them for having the courage to be first with the chant. And also because they are the first couple who have ever come to me and asked, "What does the Church say we should do?" instead of "I insist that it be done the way I think my grandmother did it back in '71, including the Schubert Ave Maria and the Wagner Bridal March and can we have "What I did for Lurve" for Communion."

Peace,
    JDE