Gloria Patri on Palm Sunday (EF)
  • WJA
    My understanding is that the Gloria Patri is not sung in Lent in the EF. Yet when I look at the music for Palm Sunday in the 1962 Liber Usualis, I see that the verses for Pueri Hebraeorum include the Gloria Patri (but the Introit does not).

Is the inclusion of the Gloria Patri a mistake, or just an interesting quirk/exception?
  • The Gloria Patri is sung on the first four Sundays of Lent, but not the two Sundays of Passiontide.
    BMP
  • Richard R.
    The "E u o u a e" is a carry-over, indicating the psalm tone; but the GP is not sung.
  • Is this the case in the OF as well? I noticed that the JoguesChant Communio for this week doesn't have the Gloria Patri in the OF, either. Jeff, help!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I am not sure there is a hard and fast rule for the OF.
  • Mark P.
    The hard and fast rule is that the Gloria Patri doesn't have to be included in the OF Mass. The Liturgy of the Hours--yes. Mass--no.
  • dvalerio
    > Is the inclusion of the Gloria Patri a mistake, or just an interesting quirk/exception?

None of that. The procession is not yet the Mass, so the Gloria Patri is said at the end of the Psalms. Then Mass begins, and the Introit has no Gloria Patri. If psalm verses are sung with the Communion, the Gloria Patri is also ommitted at the end. (It's part of Mass, that's the rule.)
  • My understanding is the same as dvalerios, above.
  • WJA
    Thank you! This was very helpful.