Mass in Boston, MA Area
  • David DeavyDavid Deavy
    Hello,

I will be traveling to the Boston, Mass and Nashua, NH area during early May I would like to attend a Mass with sung propers and /or polyphonic propers. I will be traveling alone and have great flexibility on distance traveled. I have uncovered Mary Immaculate of Lourdes in Newton, MA. or what about St. Paul's in Cambridge. I am looking for any suggestions.

Thanks
    David Deavy
  • St. Paul's is EXCELLENT! Been there twice (both times this year - would go more, but I start new job this Saturday). 11:00 is the Boston Boy Choir, for a real treat. The Choir School there (as many I'm sure know) was Ted Marier's brainchild, as is the hymnal in the pews (Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles). I hear the 9:30 Adult Choir is really good too!
    BMP
  • chonakchonak
    St. Paul's, near Harvard Square, is hands-down the best parish for music at an Ordinary Form Mass. However, parking is not easy, so take the subway. From out of town, you could park, for example, at the Alewife Station garage (at the intersection of Routes 2, 3, and 16) in Cambridge.

The Cathedral of the Holy Cross has Mass according to the 1962 Missal in the lower church at 11 AM, with plainchant: sometimes a Missa Cantata, sometimes a Low Mass with chant and maybe some propers.

In Nashua, St. Patrick Church also offers Mass in the Extraordinary Form on 2nd and 4th Sundays at 1:30 pm; I think the 4th Sunday is a Missa Cantata sung with Rossini psalm-tone propers. Unfortunately, the parish will not be able to offer this Mass on Easter Sunday.

Out in the country a bit, in the town of Harvard, MA, St. Benedict Abbey (www.abbey.org) has a sung Mass in Latin according to the current Missal, at 11 am.
  • The two times I got to the 11:00 Mass at St. Paul's I had no parking problems at all. I got into my parking spot not far up the street at all from the church at about 10:40 - and that's even with the 9:30 Mass just ending. They really do raise the bar liturgically, even with the Ordinary Form. I'm telling you, you'll walk out of there saying "THIS is what the Ordinary Form of Holy Mass is supposed to sound like!"
    BMP
  • chonakchonak
    Of course, Brian, your mileage may vary about getting a parking space near St. Paul's; a couple of weeks ago, I failed to get one on a Sunday afternoon, and the odds get tougher as the spring arrives. But you may have better luck in the morning.
  • David DeavyDavid Deavy
    BMP and chonak

Thanks for the advise

I will be using public transportation.

I am leaning towards St. Paul, the Boys and Men schola together sounds very appealing, but Is the 11:00 AM Mass in Latin or English or a mix. ( I would really like to hear live latin propers)

Also I am going to Fenway for a Red Sox game after Mass and it looks like it would be the Red line to Green line correct?

Thanks again

DD
  • Introit and Communion are chanted in Latin. Ordinary is normally in English, but to excellent choral and chant settings from the HPSC hymnal (again, Ted Marier's stroke of genius - and I mean that in a good way).

The Introit is sung, followed by an entrance hymn. The Communion is sung, followed by an anthem or motet by the choir.

I've NEVER heard an English Mass sound this good! BTW, John Robinson, who is experienced with choirs in England, is the new music director.

BMP
  • chonakchonak
    And to reach Fenway Park: yes, take the Green Line to Kenmore Square (note: not to the "Fenway" station). When changing to the Green Line at Park St., choose a "B", "C", or "D" car. The "E" branch does not go to Kenmore.

If you feel like seeing another church after the game, St. Clement's Eucharistic Shrine has perpetual adoration, not far from Fenway Park. It's near Berklee School of Music, so you might even find a concert to attend.

Also, while you're in Boston, you should see the one really grand and beautiful church we have, the Mission Church, officially the Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, at 1545 Tremont St, near the Brigham Circle stop on the Green Line "E" branch. Beside the icon of our Lady are the crutches and canes left by the faithful to attest to healings granted there at "the Lourdes of Boston".
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Gosh I miss that town....
  • David - one more parish I'll mention...
    Holy Name in Providence RI (about an hour south) has an Extraordinary Form High Mass at 11:00 EVERY Sunday. How do I know this? I'm a former organist/music director there.
    BMP
  • HLMS
    There is one group of students forming at Harvard University and also at Boston College for the preservation of the Liturgy, Mass in Latin in both the Extraordinary and Ordinary Forms. See unavocebc.org and email harvardlatinmass@gmail.com if you want to get in touch with either of these nascent groups.

The Cathedral of the Holy Cross also has Mass in the EF for First Fridays. May 6th at 7:30 in the Lower Church of the Cathedral will be a sung Mass for the Feast of Saint Joseph the Worker. Some students from Harvard and BC are often in attendance or assisting at the altar.

St. Paul in Harvard Square is wonderful. You will find that much of it may be done in English, but it is usually done well. Attend the 11:00am Sunday Mass or Tuesday through Friday at 8:00 am to hear the boys choir sing.