Name that hymnal!
  • I have a question...

The hymnal at St. John the Evangelist Basilica in Stamford, CT (Scott Turkinton's former digs) and the Church of Our Savior in New York City (Fr. Rutler's parish) seem to use the same hymnal (the Creed in both of these are at #289). Which hymnal are these two parishes using? I've been curious about this for a long time.

BMP
  • The hymnal is called THE CATHOLIC HYMN BOOK (compiled and edited at the London/Brompton Oratory). This is a superb hymnal and we have it in the pews at Saint Stephen the First Martyr, Sacramento, an Extraordinary Form parish staffed by the FSSP. I knew this hymnal in England and loved it, and when I saw it at Fr. Rutler's parish in Manhattan, I asked to have it as our hymn book at Saint Stephen's. The choir, congregation and clergy all are extremely happy with it, and many visiting priest have asked me for information about it so they can obtain it for their own parishes. It is published by GRACEWING in Herefordshire, England. We obtained it directly from there, however one priest who was looking to buy copies for his parish said he was able to find copies for sale in Canada, which may be easier and cheaper. In the Roman Catholic world, this is the closest one comes to the ENGLISH HYMNAL and HYMNS ANCIENT & MODERN.
  • Mark P.
    It's a wonderful hymnal. I have a copy and I treasure it.
  • Thanks much.
    BMP
  • francis
    I have seen it. The only downside is the the text is separate from the melody, but an impressive hymnal.
  • Francis- English hymnals never have words and music together, I've noticed that seems particular to the U.S.. The English way makes it easier to use different hymn tunes for a given text. I've noticed that it hasn't got in the way of either choir or congregation at St Stephen's, but I'm glad you brought that up as it could be difficult for some.
  • francis
    Jeffrey:

The only reason I bring this up is because there is a discussion proceeding forthwith at this moment on JO's thread about text and music being together and separate for hymn singing. I am in agreement with you about the text not needing to be under the tune, but that is not the case with others as you will see by the debate that is in full swing on the other thread.