By Flowing Waters choir reprint permissions?
  • Mike R
    I know several of you have used By Flowing Waters before. Our campus ministry is planning to use the processional antiphons for Palm Sunday since the assembly antiphons are included in our books from LitPress. Before I try calling them on Monday, I figured I would check here to see if anyone knows if Liturgical Press has a reprint licensing policy for the actual Psalms which would be sung by cantors. I hate to buy several whole copies of the book when it will, I'm sure, be reprinted soon given the new translation. I may just set them to Meinrad tones anyway, since we're a bit more used to those, but I thought I would investigate. Thanks!
  • As I recall, copying the congregational parts is permitted, but not the cantor parts, however, possibly they might give you permission under the circumstances.

I'd ask Paul Ford directly, let me put a call out into the ether....

"Paul! Paul!"

Let's see what he has to say.
  • (Thanks, Noel!)

Mike,

By Flowing Waters is not going to be reprinted anytime soon. Only thirty-five of the 680 chants in the book need to be changed as a consequence of the new English translation of the Roman MIssal; but we are going to make them available in a free download that one can print and insert into the book. (New copies of the book will contain this supplement neatly taped into the back of the book.)

There's a 50% off sale on the book right now: http://www.litpress.org/Detail.aspx?ISBN=0814625959

That said, if $9.98/copy is still too much for your budget, you have my permission to make these copies for your cantors, as long as you recycle them (the copies, not the cantors) after Palm Sunday.

As far as using the new Conception Grail psalter in the book (if that's what you mean by "given the new translation"), I don't think this is going to happen. The use of the NRSV is increasing in the English-singing world; as soon as Rome approves the Canadian revisions in their NRSV lectionary, I will incorporate them into BFW in a downloadable supplement.

Where is your campus, by the way?

Blessings,
    Paul
  • Cantors Recycled By Appointment Only.
  • Mike R
    Thank you, Paul! I'll check with my student music directors to see how things look, then make a decision.

I'm at the University of Evansville in southern Indiana.