English Gradual and Alleluia
  • I'm a newbie schola director, so I apologize if this is an obvious question. Is it possible to sing the Gradual of the Mass in English rather than the Responsorial Psalm from the Lectionary? Is there some "official" English translation of the gradual that I'm supposed to use? Is there some "official" book that contains it or provides the melody for it?

Similarly, is there some official English version of the alleluia verse/tract from the Graduale, as opposed to the one in the Lectionary? I would love to just use the Anglican Use gradual for everything, but I feel like I shouldn't use it for the Gradual and the Alleluia.

This is for a weekly Mass at ND in the Novus Ordo where we incorporate more traditional liturgical elements; it's sometimes in Latin, sometimes not. I'm hoping to have a more steady diet of chant, and I'd like to use some simple English chant for the gradual and alleluia.
  • In the dioceses of the United States of America, the following may also be sung in place of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary for Mass: either the proper or seasonal antiphon and Psalm from the Lectionary, as found either in the Roman Gradual or Simple Gradual or in another musical setting; or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of the psalms and antiphons, including psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the responsorial Psalm.

The "Gregorian Missal" by Solesmes (large, free PDF) is a good place to find the "proper" (Gradual) text referred to above. Note that the GIRM does not say anywhere that the Gradual text must be sung in Latin.

In theory, one could (seemingly) do any translation, since the Church has not approved any official translations for the Graduale Propers. However, I like the Gregorian Missal, because it has an IMPRIMATUR in the front of it.

Important Note: At this time, the Gradual text does not appear to allowed to be read in the vernacular at Mass. In theory, a Bishop could eventually approve a translation that could be read at Mass. At this time, the Gradual (in English) must be sung, or it cannot replace the Responsorial Psalm (in the USA).
  • This link may be of interest as far as what was available for comparison at the time it was put together....
  • chonakchonak
    While the GIRM doesn't say that the Gradual has to be sung in Latin, Sacrosanctum Concilium 36d says that translations have to be approved.

I just don't get the logic that says: no translation of the Graduale Romanum has been approved, therefore we can use any translation.

Now, for the Introit, Offertory, and Communion, there seems to be a way around that restriction, since "another suitable song" is allowed for each of those. In short: if "Be Not Afraid" is OK at communion, then an English text based on the Graduale communion antiphon is OK; I can buy that.

I just haven't seen an explanation yet to show that we have that same freedom with respect to the Gradual chant sung after the First Reading.
  • chonak :

When you sing an English translation of the Graduale Communion chant, you really consider that another suitable song? Really? Does that seem like a reading of the norms that has respect to the 'spirit of the law' ? To me, in my humble opinion, that seems like a very legalistic reading.

If you sing an English translation of the Graduale Communion chant, that is not at all "another suitable song."

If one wants to be a 'legalist' when one reads documents, it is not hard. For instance, you cite SC above :

4. Translations from the Latin text into the mother tongue intended for use in the liturgy must be approved by the competent territorial ecclesiastical authority mentioned above.

A 'legalist' reading this would simply say, 'Oh, my version of the Graduale comes from the original Greek and Hebrew, not the Latin. So I am safe.' By the way, the GIRM only refers to 'publications' needing approval : it makes no mention of internet postings of music....trust me, I've been at this a long time.

By the way, for years and years I've been on a special E-mail list from Fr. Samuel Weber. Most of his music has no Ecclesiastical approval whatsoever, and he often makes his own translations, especially when it comes to pieces that have no official translation. Do you feel I am wrong to use these pieces by Fr. Samuel in my church?

Cheers!
  • OK, so there is essentially no official translation in English for the Gradual and Alleluia/Tract, and the lone semi-official translation is in the Gregorian Missal, which won't help me out because it doesn't have the propers for anything except Sundays and Holydays. That is depressing. Darn the Novus Ordo's options to the most mediocre confines of heck. I think I'm just going to do it in Latin and give people a handout with the translation of the chants on it.
  • BruceL
    Johnny Domer,

I would avoid doing "just any translation" of the Gradual, only because it "might create confusion among the faithful" (very nebulous, I know). What I mean to say is that there are numerous tasteful options now for responsorial psalms, for example those of Fr. Samuel or Fr. Columba Kelly. Perhaps that is more prudent? You could do, as you say, the Latin Gradual (very beautiful during Lent!) and provide a translation.

@JamesOLeary:

It seems that most of the time Fr. Samuel's translations are either the 1963 Grail (approved for use in the Liturgy) or the NAB/ICEL texts, at least if they are texts that properly belong to the Liturgy. Perhaps I'm missing something...