Vatican II Hymnal — (Installment #1) — OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Vatican II Hymnal
    Click here  to order your copy today!    •    New Video!
    750 PAGES LONG • COMPLETE READINGS FOR ALL SUNDAYS AND MAJOR FEASTS FOR YEARS A, B, & C • FIRST HYMNAL EVER PRINTED TO CONTAIN COMPLETE TEXTS FOR THE SUNG PROPERS • MORE THAN A HUNDRED PAGES OF MASS SETTINGS USING THE NEW TRANSLATION OF THE ROMAN MISSAL • COMPLETE TEXTS IN LATIN AND ENGLISH FOR BOTH FORMS OF THE MASS (ORDINARY & EXTRAORDINARY) • BEAUTIFUL HYMNS, INCLUDING MORE THAN 100 PAGES OF COMMUNION HYMNS • SAINT NOËL CHABANEL RESPONSORIAL PSALMS, GARNIER ALLELUIAS, AND MUCH MORE

Sample Pages     •     Contents (PDF)     •     Q & A     •     Foreword     •     Cover Art
    Organ Accompaniments (Hymns & Mass Settings):
            Section I  •  Mass Settings & Moredownload for free  or  purchase the 232-page book
            Section II  •  Hymns • Organist Scoresdownload for free  or  purchase the 196-page book
            Section III  •  Hymns • SATB Choir Scoresdownload for free  or  purchase the 191-page book
            Section IV  •  Special Cantor scores  •  forthcoming
    Responsorial Psalm Harmonizations:
            Section V  •  Years A, B, and Cdownload for free  or  purchase the 152-page book
            Section VI  •  "Ad Libitum" Psalms (a cappella) found on pages 57-92  247-page book
    Gospel Acclamation Harmonizations:
            Click here to view organist scores for Vatican II Hymnal Gospel Acclamations.
    BIG NEWS !!!  This just in !!!
    Order 250 or more hymnals to receive gorgeous, complimentary bookplates with your parish name, city, & state!
    Those ordering 250 or more hymnals will also be sent three (3) complimentary copies of the following:
              Organ Accompaniments for the Mass Settings (beautiful, durable, spiral-bound, 232 pages)
              Organ Accompaniment books for the hymns (beautiful, durable, spiral-bound, 196 pages)
    The Vatican II Hymnal saves money and trees! (read more)
  • Whoo hoo!
  • JennyJenny
    Any idea what the printed copied will cost?
  • CharlesW
    Please tell me it is not in square notes. ;-) If not and the cost is reasonable, it could be a good option to pursue.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Oh, I hope it is in square notes… and Jeff tells us in one of the other threads that there may indeed be a square note edition available, perhaps in addition to a modern notation edition. Nice.

I understand how square notes could very well be off-putting for many people, especially at first glance. But I do hope that as with hearing chant and sacred music in general, and with Latin in the liturgy, and ad orientem, and other ROTR-like things, this resistance to square notes will recede. For one, it's simply beautiful to see (and it's so unlike any other sort of secular notation). Beyond that, I've found that it really is easier for me to sing chant in square notes than in round notes. Maybe it's a bit of a stretch, but I'd like to think that congregations can learn the same sort of appreciation — and maybe they could learn at least rudimentary reading techniques "by rote," essentially, by simply hearing it every week. (Seeing relatively brief and straightforward melodies in square notes, like Jeff's Chabanel Psalms, could be a great way to accomplish this.)

In any case, the hymns will be in traditional notation. No reason people can't see both.
  • jp411
    Could you kindly provide a reference to your statement that disposable Missallettes have been "condemned by the Vatican!!!" ?
  • Is it Benedict's criticism of "utility music"?

Jeff... just cannot wait to see these... My parish priest is really looking forward to this. We've been examining some of the translations of texts in our current "throwaway" missalettes and he can see how poor they are. This week's case in point was the English version of the Regina Caeli that was provided in our resources. We're planning to use it during the Easter season in English, but it is very obvious that the translation is inaccurate. One more reason to be anxiously awaiting your new hymnals...