What "hammer-the-note" 19th century plainchant sounded like
  • RobertRobert
    An Englishman named H.B. Briggs, in a pamphlet published in 1899, writes that French visitors to the Solesmes Abbey complain that the monastic choir sing too quickly. He gives us this interesting testimony about the "old lento style" of chant they were accustomed to:

"In most churches in France, for instance; you would hear the Antiphon Confitebor sung with every one of its sixteen notes as a minim, thus taking at least fifteen seconds. As the Solesmes Fathers sing it, the duration of the notes varies according to the accentuation of the words, and the antiphon takes eight seconds."

We have no recordings of the "battre la note" style that I am aware of, and I've always wondered what it must have sounded like. This quote from Mr. Briggs gives some basis for reconstructing it.

This antiphon Confitebor in the Pustet antiphonale does indeed have 16 notes:

Mathematically, if you want a 16 note chant to last about 15 seconds, you would have to set you metronome at 60 BPM and sing one punctum per beat. All I can say is wow, that is slow.

And when I timed myself singing this version of Confitebor from Pothier's Antiphonale, it took exactly eight seconds. So Briggs' testimony seems trustworthy:

• Mark P.
    Saint-Saens writes of the plainchant melody being hidden in the tenor part of a mixed-voice arrangement during the singing of the Gradual. I remember reading what how revolutionary it was to hear Gregorian being sung to a unison melody. Evidently, the custom in France during the 19th century was to have parts of the Proper sung to some weird counterpoint.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for sharing this eyewitness report from the past!
  • RobertRobert
    sorry, meant for there to have been images in the original post - should make more sense now.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Excellent post!
  • Undoubtedly, all the various interpretations of chant in our time would have sounded considerably and strangely distilled to early XIX. century ears. Or the ears of most any of our ancestors. The famous, or infamous, Ensemble Organum has some interesting ideas about XVII. century chant which may be heard on their CD entitled Ad Vesperas Sancti Ludovici Regis Franciae, based on the Antiphonaire des Invalides of 1682. These various harmonised treatments of chant very likely retained their currency into the XIX. century era. At least, some contemporary commentary would suggest something similar. That chant was sung rather slowly and with a degree of beaten metricallity would seem apparent from many of the chant books published in the XIX. century.

Now, such performances are merely out of date, in poor taste, have no scholarly or academic foundation and are just old, abused chant.
    But not yet old enough to warrant excited correct performance practice on their behalf.
    Perhaps in another 100 years it will be chic to do stylistically correct perfomances of XIX. century chant??

This, after all, would not be far removed from the operative rationale which gives us Paul McCreesh'es liturgical reconstructions of given periods and places.
  • bgeorge77
    Wow... 16 seconds?! Very interesting post.
  • Music tempos in buildings with live acoustics often need to be slower....so there should be a difference in tempo between singing a chant in a 7.5 second church and a "living room" acoustics US church...if you've got carpet, tempos can be faster.
  • In my experience, when accompaniment is used, chant *most often* seems to slow down. Variables include the facility of the one (or more?) accomanying, any instruments involved, and the intricacy of the accompaniment.
    If chant were to be regularly accompanied in XIX cent. France, this would be an important factor, would it not?

I was visiting a parish a few years ago and had the displeasure of
    trying to sing along to 'Adoro te devote' accompanied by an organist who seemed far more aware of his harmonic prowess than the fact that the syllabic hymn had slowed to just about 60 notes per minute. The text became accidental and quite lifeless. I wonder if this is a lot of what people dislike when they remember and reject chant.
  • At FSU we actually did a bit of the slow tempo chant for a performance of Rittler's Requiem Mass. It IS maddening to the modern ear for sure. With this in mind, perhaps the tempo of Berlioz's insertion of the Dies irae in Symphonie fantastique is actually at the proper liturgical speed then!
  • CharlesW
    I suspect we do everything faster than in antiquity. Racing through organ works, as if those old instruments could actually be played that fast, is the norm. I wouldn't think singing would be much different in what has become an impatient world. Can you imagine the typical congregation today tolerating 3-hour liturgies, along with the slower pace of nearly everything else?
  • dvalerio
    > Racing through organ works, as if those old instruments could actually be played that fast, is the norm.

It also proves that the organist has trained his fingerings! I wonder how much we own this to the ubiquitous piano...
  • CharlesW
    Likely, quite a bit. I have looked at some older fingerings, and wondered if they were a help or a hindrance.
  • BruceL
    CharlesW,

When you consider hand position, key lengths, and fingerings in some pre-Classical period music, then indeed it is quicker and more articulate (pardon!) to use the "early" fingerings.

One interesting singing technique question is the speed of singing from c. 1500-1725: some scholars seem to imply that the lighter vocal sound desirable to this period possessed greater agility, at least in respect to ornaments. I always wonder about it every time I see a fast aria from a Bach cantata!
  • CharlesW
    I have read from Bach's contemporaries, that his music was fast and graceful - except for his organ playing. Given the general "clunkiness" of those instruments, that's not surprising.
  • GavinGavin
    "Can you imagine the typical congregation today tolerating 3-hour liturgies, along with the slower pace of nearly everything else?"

Coming from our resident Byzantine... Next we'll be expecting them to stand through it all!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    You might enjoy Video number 1, which treats this topic.
  • Sadly, the hammer-the-note 'performance practice' is alive and kicking (stomping?) in a significant number of places, at least some of them quite prominent and at least a few very well meaning.
  • CharlesW
    Gavin, are you referring to pews, that instrument of Satan himself, contrived to mislead souls into the sins of the flesh? Anathema sit - also a Traditionalist's command to his dog, or so I hear. ;-)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Pews leading to sins of the flesh? Reminds me of High School youth group lock-ins when I was a kid.
  • Pews may have had a civilising effect on behaviour that was for some centuries the norm, at least in Europe. One has read that people milled about transacting business and not too quietly visiting while various animal species wandered freely about. The purpose of sanctuary bells was quite utilitarian - they warned that the most holy part of the mass was beginning so that all could calm down and observe the Sacrament being elevated for them to see... not to partake of.
  • chonakchonak
    Disorders among the congregation go back quite far. In Carthage, Bishop Aurelius, a friend of St. Augustine, had low walls built in the congregation's space to separate men and women and cut down on socializing between the two, which had become unedifying.

[Source: a podcast by Fr. Z (August 19, 2010)]
  • dad29
    Sadly, the hammer-the-note 'performance practice' is alive and kicking (stomping?)

It was one reason that Luther and Wesley bailed out of the Church.....
  • I don't think that ponderous chanting was among Luther's famous 95 Theses.
    Of all the rationales Luther had for leaving, I think that hammer-the-note chanting was not among them. The Lutherans themselves had and continue to have a rather hearty hammer-the-note style of singing. And, the isometric form of the chorals which they yet cultivate lends itself to this. They always sing with a certain gusto not heard elsewhere.

Then, for those who may not have seen it yet, go to The New Liturgical Movement and scroll to the very nice treatment there by Shawn Tribe of the Anglican Ordinariate's patrimony, and you can hear and see the men and boys of King's College singing psalm 50 - without hammer-the-note or 'Anglican thump'.