Rules for which ordinaries to use when?
  • For some Sung Masses at my local EF Sunday Mass, I've been using a very simple ordinary, the so-called "Missa Primativa" that is found in Solesmes' Liber Cantualis. I sing Kyrie XVI, Gloria XV, Credo I or Credo III, Sanctus XVIII, Agnus Dei XVIII. I generally only sing this when I'm acting as a one-man schola, because my other schola members couldn't come; the rest of the time I'll just do whatever is kinda "prescribed" for that Mass.

Obviously the aforementioned Kyrie, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei (and also the Gloria, I think) are in ferial tones. Is it inappropriate/against liturgical law to use ferial tones for Sunday Masses/first or second class feasts in the Extraordinary Form? Or am I imagining laws where there aren't any? My old understanding had been that you can use any Mass setting at any time for any reason (with the possible exception of Requiem Masses), and that you could mix and match different Mass parts, but I am now doubting that position somewhat after reading certain other articles.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • dvalerio
    «There are eighteen Gregorian settings of the Ordinary (excluding the Credo), and six settings of the Credo. There are also a number of Gregorian melodies for Ordinary movements, to be used ad libitum. It will be noted that certain settings are specified for particular feasts or seasons: for instance, Mass I in Eastertide, Mass IX on feasts of Our Lady, Mass XI on green Sundays, etc. Although it is laudable to observe these designations, they are by no means obligatory. Indeed, the choirmaster may choose freely from among all the Ordinary settings (for instance, using the Kyrie of one Mass with the Gloria of another), as circumstances may dictate.»

Psallite Sapienter, B. Andrew Mills, § 8
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    More info here:
    (including which settings to do when)
    http://antoinedanielmass.org/kyriale/

The Vatican suggests the following:

Sundays of Advent: Missa XVII • Credo IV
    Sundays of Christmas: Missa IX • Credo IV
    Sundays of Lent: Missa XVII • Credo IV
    Sundays of Easter: Missa I • Credo III
    Sundays of Ordinary Time: Missa XI • Credo I
    Feasts of Ordinary Time: Missa VIII • Credo III