Remembering Colloquia moments with anticipation
  • I've mentioned elsewhere that we're joining forces with a friend's Lutheran chancel choir, our college chorale and symphony for Mozart's REQUIEM (if you're in CenCA on May 5, I'll "comp" you!) We rehearsed last night, things are gelling. So, I told my folks that tonight we'd just rehearse music I've selected for the season and Triduum. For Sunday I'd selected Douglas Walczak's "Loving Shepherd of Thy Sheep" as an anthem. And as we were wrapping that one tight, suddenly my wife says, "Honey, look who this is dedicated to- 'For Sr. Maria-Paulina!'" Omigosh, could it be that wonderful sister (Dominican?) who sang with us in Wilco's "Brudieu" choir? And whose motorized scooter Maestro Brouwers sped around tables and ornate bookcases in Loyola's library? I've thought of her often, and missed her at Duquesne. Her ever present smile radiating Christ from within; no one could resist her if only for that. But she'd virtually stop someone with a huge "hello" and "Who are you, dear? Where you from?" "Oh, your wife calls you Charles? You look like a Charlie to ME!"
    And I'd already also lined up Aristotle's antiphon, "Crucem Tuam a 4" in tonight's lineup. And I thought of the same colloquium when Wendy attended Compline for the first time. She was so nervous about "THE SQUARE NOTES, THE SKA-WARE NOOOOOOTTTTTTEEESS!" Then she relaxed when she heard the dulcet tenor of a young, shaved-head handsome devil of a man in front of her in the pew. I whispered, "Wendy, THAT'S Aristotle. He's a genius."
    So here I am in my office after rehearsal while Wendy's going over some of the mezzo solo for Wolfie, thanking God for leading us to CMAA.
    I truly wish that all folks who "do" music for the RCC could somehow be teleported into some magnificent other dimension that is the colloquium experience. It is no longer something we go to, or do, or join in. Colloquium R Us, now. This is who we are. Thank you Sr. Maria-Paulina, may God bless you and all of us.
    Come on June!