Benedictus Chant in English
  • pitkiwi
    Is there an English setting of the Benedictus available? I am looking for one that uses the translation found in the Liturgy of the Hours.

Also, is there one for the Canticle of Simeon? I already have one for the Magnificat.
  • If you want to go very simple, pick up a copy of the Mundelein Psalter. They have very simple psalm tone settings of the entire Breviary, including all the Gospel Canticles.
  • pitkiwi
    I was thinking of something in perhaps more of a melodic form rather than in a "psalm tone" form, if that makes sense.
  • chonakchonak
    Given the structure of the Benedictus, it fits more readily with psalm-tone-like settings rather than a through-composed melody or strophic form, so if you find one of those, it probably paraphrases the text.
  • pitkiwi
    Chonak, I was think more along the lines of something melodic, though not necessarily metrical.
  • I don't know what kind of musical forces you're working with, but I've always liked Charles Villiers Stanford's setting of it from his Morning Service in C Major. I don't think you can find the score online, though. You'd likely have to purchase it.