Help Me with Music for First Mass?
  • matt1618
    Hello everyone,

By the grace of God and the patience of all involved, I will be ordained a priest on Saturday May 28, 2011. My first Mass of Thanksgiving will be Sunday May 29, the 6th Sunday of Easter. The Mass will be outside of the parish's normal Mass schedule, i.e. 2pm, to accommodate concelebrating priests. And the parish's organist, choir, and schola are very capable. They also have use of the local Symphony Orchestra's trumpeter.

Can you all help me brainstorm the music for this Mass? They can probably come up with some good ideas but I want to come to them with some ideas in hand rather than a blank slate.

Lord have mercy, I am woefully ignorant of our rich musical heritage, although I love it whenever I hear it! Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless you all,
    Deacon Matthew Hardesty
    Seminarian, Archdiocese of Louisville
    St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore, MD
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    In general, I would suggest to you that it will be better to do something a little more "simple" and do it EXTREMELY well than do very difficult repertoire and barely make it happen.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, thanks be to God for your vocation to the priestly ministry!

To start with, can we assume that you have already had some practice during your formation in singing the celebrant's dialogue parts in English, using the melodies in the Sacramentary? If so, you can plan on doing that.
  • Then decide which parts of the Mass the Congregation will sing and which the Schola will sing.

For example, you may want the congregation to sing the Ordinary, but reserve the Lamb Of God/Agnus Dei for the Schola to sing in a polyphonic setting.

In choosing the congregation's music, pick music that they know except for Psalm responses that they can respond to.

Another important point is determining how much Latin will be permitted. At least one priest that I know of had his music selections for his ordination held up when the Bishop felt there was too much Latin, resulting in some rather stressful delays. Will the parish pastor have objections to Latin?

(revised to reflect that I failed to think FIRST MASS!)
  • GavinGavin
    Sung dialogs, lessons, and Eucharistic prayer.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Not an ordination. Just a regular Mass, albeit a very special one.
    I assume, then, that the Propers and so forth for the 6th Sunday of Easter are the way to go:

For Latin propers, check out:
    http://www.jogueschant.org

Otherwise:
    http://musicasacra.com/simple-propers-of-the-mass-ordinary-form/

For the Mass ordinary, in Latin:
    http://antoinedanielmass.org/kyriale/
    (Apparently Mass I is suggested for Easter).

Otherwise:
    >>No otherwise. Sing the Latin Ordinary. If you hate Latin, tough it out until Advent when you can do the ICEL chants. Also, if you hate Latin, consider converting to Episcopalianism.

That should pretty much cover you, although you might want a nice motet during Communion, or another choral piece for some reason.

Also- you might want a recessional.
    The Te Deum seems appropriate.
    English hymn version: Holy God, We Praise Thy Name
    (also check out "God We Praise You" set to Nettleton)

The first "choice" is whether to do the music (And texts!) prescribed for the day, or just some other damn thing you happen to like.
    I hope your seminary training has informed you that the second option isn't, umm... well... the best.

After that, it seems to me (and what follows is SO VERY MUCH JUST MY OPINION), that within the context of doing the right texts in a traditional manner, you could go in the direction of the very ornate (Polyphony and Choral) or the simple and humble (chant). Both are very much at home in the liturgy, and there is nothing wrong with the (I mean this in a good way, really) obscenely beautiful sound of Polyphony.
    However, it seems to be that this first Mass should in some ways set the tone of your ministry. I would be fearful that too much ado about the music may communicate to the congregation (and to yourself) that your ministry is about something other than service, or (worse) that the Liturgy in question is a celebration of you, rather than God. For that reason it is my opinion that prudence and a certain amount of austerity are called for. So I highly recommend that chant. Plain, unaccompanied. As you should be also, it's place in the liturgy is entirely a role of service.
    There will be many years ahead for Palestrina and Byrd (and probably Haas, Haugen, and company), but this first Mass... think very carefully about the message you send with your choices.

Alternatively, I understand "Here I am, Lord" was written for just this sort of occasion.
  • Holy God, without question, after Mass.

For the choir, Locus Iste, by Bruckner, to honor the Sacred place in which you say your First Mass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmMkHqhe45Y
  • Mike R
    It is actually tradition to chant the actual Te Deum at the end of a First Mass in thanksgiving. If you have a capable schola, I'd say go for it, then choose a hymn other than Holy God We Praise Thy Name for the recessional.
  • Mike, any idea where we can get a list of usual pieces?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "if you hate Latin, consider converting to Episcopalianism."
    I suspect that the average ECUSA parish gets more Latin than the average RC parish.
  • I'm a practical gal... In light of the time of year, (5 weeks after Easter) I'd start talking to the choir director and organist now and see what they think they can best offer you. If you lean toward a polyphonic ordinary, I'd just ask them what's in their repertoire, and what they do best. Then I'd listen to a few of those settings to see what you like best. Then you can make a choice that way. Or perhaps they have samples of their own choir handy so you can hear things. Whatever you choose, I'd want a guarantee from the director that it can be done well.
    I second the Te Deum idea, again provided that the director thinks the choir can render it well.

And you mention the trumpeter... If you or one of the musicians can
    recommend a soprano who *already* has the first aria from Bach's Cantata 51 in her repertoire, I'd say it makes a glorious prelude.

And you probably already know this, but I'd start asking about this asap so as not to stress out musicians too close to Holy Week. The only people busier than us this time of year are priests. :)

And, congratulations!! Blessings to you as you prepare to receive the priesthood.
  • Jeffrey, as the Catholics say, BINGO!
  • Mark P.
    If the choir is capable of it, I'd suggest "Dixit Dominus" from the Solemn Vespers of a Confessor by Mozart for an offertory motet. It has the text "tu es sacerdos in aeternum" in it. Very festive, not too dificult and appropriate.
  • Ooooh...and a solo soprano could sing the Laudate before Mass....good choices!
  • chonakchonak
    Adam's suggestion about singing the propers was very good.

Since Dcn. Matthew is a man of the Church, It's fitting for him to express that identity by presenting the liturgy as given by the Church.

To do that, he can let the proper texts of the day be prominent: i.e., the propers for the entrance, the alleluia, the offertory, the communion, etc. Those chanted texts are more important than optional pieces he might add. Also, they might contain fitting material for the homily.
  • But...but....but....the people need to sing their hymns so they can fully participate.

If they do not sing Amazing Grace they are going to be wery, wery, angwy....said Elmer Fudd.
  • BruceL
    Dn. Hardesty,

Great to hear this news. By the way, which parish in Louisville? A few of them have well-know programs to some of us (St. Martin of Tours, etc.)

I think the propers are a must. That said, if the propers from the Graduale Romanum are too much, then there are numerous resources available for the singing of them in English. If you email me (found in my user profile on here), I'd be happy to send the links. Also, I imagine Fr. Samuel Weber here in St. Louis might help you out with some of the chants from the new St. Louis Gradual (not yet published). There are difficult, medium, and easy settings of each day's propers, with psalm verses.

In addition, I'm sure many of us on the board would be happy to help you with whatever means available, even rehearsal files. I know I am the musician for two first Masses in my own archdiocese and one in a neighboring one, and it is a tremendous honor to be able to help in any way with your first Mass as spouse of the Church: your case is no different!
  • matt1618
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions! For some reason I was expecting to see replies to this thread in my inbox - but they probably went to my junk mail, which I've lost track of, and then I forgot I posted this!

I have been emailing ideas back and forth with the music director and he has been very open and helpful. There is some resistance to Latin but not in an angry/dismissive way at all. Here is our first draft of the music. Can you all tell me what you think?

Prelude: Laudate Dominum - Charpentier, Cantate Domini - Pitoni, as well as "a bell anthem and several works for trumpet and organ"
    Entrance Antiphon and Procession: From the Simple English Propers Project followed by Alleluia Sing to Jesus
    Kyrie and "Great Amen": Missa d'angelis
    Gloria: Straight-through setting by Carroll Thomas Andrews
    Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 66 chanted to St. Meinrad psalm tone
    Gospel Acclamation: Festival Alleluia - Chepponis [Wouldn't the Mozart Alleluia be totally awesome!?]
    Procession of the Gifts/Offertory: If Ye Love Me - Tallis
    Sanctus, Mysterium Fidei/Mortem Tuam, and Agnus Dei from the simpler Cantus Missae
    I will use the Roman Canon and chant my parts
    Our Father: English chant from the Sacramentary
    Communion Antiphon and Hymn: From the Simple English Propers Project followed by Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
    Post-Communion hymn: Gerard Manley Hopkins' translation of Adoro Te Devote
    Recessional Hymn: All Creatures of Our God and King (Lasst Uns Erfreuen) - All singers and instrumentalists
    Postlude: Final movement from "Joshua" (The Great Jehovah is our Awful Theme) - G.F. Handel (arranged for solo trumpet and organ)

Is this too pieced-together?

With the above plan, the only Latin then would be the Prelude hymns then the Kyrie, Sanctus, Mysterium Fidei, and Agnus Dei with the Mysterium Fidei being the only one the people may not be familiar with.

What do you all think?

God Bless you,
    Deacon Hardesty
    Louisville, KY
    {Holy Spirit parish)
  • I can tell you that in the dedication of a new church the really big surprise was the congregational singing of the Gloria from Missa de Angelis...people were turning around, trying to figure out where this was coming from.

And this was a parish that always sang an OCP one....

But of course, at an occasion like this, and at your First Mass, there will be a larger number of people who would be familiar with it...

I really, really like the choice of music...none of the kind of show-off kind of stuff you see on TV at diocesan events...very, very nicely put together.
  • rogue63
    Deacon Hardesty,

Congratulations! God bless you---it sounds like you will be a great boon to the Archdiocese. I'm a KY native, so I can appreciate (or decry) the dearth of good Catholic music there. Who is your trumpeter---anyone from the orchestra? I played with the LO for a few years, a while back, and knew the guys pretty well. Best wishes----you'll be in the prayers of my family.
  • matt1618
    Thank you rogue. The trumpeter is the principle trumpet from the Louisville Orchestra, Mr. Amend. I believe he is a parishioner at Holy Spirit and always plays for Christmas, Easter, and other bigger Masses. He was honored to be a part of this - I'm honored to have him!

Deacon Hardesty
  • matt1618
    That's right DougS. My Priesthood Ordination is at the Cathedral of the Assumption in downtown Louisville Sat May 28, 2011 at 11am and the first Mass of Thanksgiving is at Holy Spirit parish in St. Matthew's on Sun May 29, 2011 at 2pm. The late time is so that as much of the presbyterate who wants to can come and attend in choir or con-celebrate while still keeping their Mass schedules on Sunday morning.

Deacon Hardesty
  • Pancho
    I see all the music has been arranged but in the future, if a Latin Ordinary is ever a problem, there is always the St. Meinrad Kyriale. The ordinaries are in English (current translation) but the melodies are adapted from the Latin chant ordinaries. Mass I would have been very appropriate for Eastertime, because it's based on Missa I Lux et Origo.
  • matt1618
    Not quite in stone yet Pancho. Thanks for this suggestion of the Saint Meinrad Kyriale.

Also, I'm shocked that you all let me forget the following :) Today it dawned on me that since it is a Sunday in Easter, the Sprinkling Rite would be appropriate and would replace the Penitential Rite and Kyrie. I know that the Vidi Aquam is used in the Easter Season but I don't think the Latin will be possible. Is there a dignified English setting?

God Bless you all,
    Deacon Hardesty
  • Pancho
    I think By Flowing Waters has a chant in English for Easter Season. I know A Simple Kyriale from WLP has the Asperges in English, I'm not sure if it has the Vidi Aquam in English. CanticaNova, I believe, has an English setting that's based on the Vidi Aquam.