Matthew according to Schuetz according Mendelssohn according to GIA
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    We're having our second go at Stephen Rosolack's edition of Schütz' St. Matthew Passion, which arrived 3 years ago with a long errata sheet for the choral movements only (to which I add p61, m1, Bass: GEF SDS should read GFG SDS). I'm wondering how fine a comb I should take to the recitatives, where I've already noticed "and spit on him" instead of "spat" (p. 46). Has anyone out there already gone over this? The 'original' of the German recits is not as straightforward as one might imagine; see IMSLP for a drastically concise overview of Arnold Mendelssohn's preface.

In the meantime, I only _think_ I've got the answer to my own question about the lectionary's short form: The CCH ("read only the part in brackets") has a closing bracket after 27:66, but I suppose one infers a bracket at the beginning (26:14) as well. Or is there another starting place? Schütz of course sets more of the Gospel than is required, beginning with 26:1, the preparation for the Passover. We'll see if Fr. wants the deluxe version (you might have sold that rehearsal time and spent...)
  • I ordered a copy of this several years ago. It was so inept in both language and musical adaptation that I sent it back. The amateurish butchery that some publishers will purvey to the unsuspecting is astonishing. Have you looked into Concordia's edition?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I admire your chutzpa! I did my own edition of Lassus' St. Mark, but it was a lot more work than using something off the shelf. I had access to 10 copies of Gore's edition for Concordia, but it seems to be out of print. Its idiom is of course closer to the KJB than the NAB, which I would gladly overlook if it were in fact better proofread. Is it?
  • rollingrj
    Richard, the Short Form of Matthew's Passion is 27:11-54 (from Pilate's questioning through the centurion's statement).