New Communion Antiphons
  • Hey all,

I'm beginning to more widely advertise a project that I've been working on for a couple of years now: vernacular Communion Antiphons for use in the OF. They are all free and can be found here:

www.communionantiphons.org

Highlights:

1. They're entirely free!
    2. They are set in a responsorial style, alternating between (sometimes abridged) English antiphons and psalm verses.
    3. Organ accompaniment included, using St. Meinrad Psalm Tones for the verses.
    4. Every antiphon correlates to its respective one in the Graduale Romanum by text, mode, and psalm verses. Unlike in the GR, all the verses are written out (with the most current Revised Grail Psalter translation).
    5. Can be used in conjunction with the chanted antiphons from the Gradual! This is the way I have been using them at my parish for almost a year now. The men's schola sings the antiphon, using the final indicated by the English version, then the English version is sung responsorially. When communion is nearly through, have the schola chant the doxology and repeat the antiphon.

This is a great way to introduce the sung propers in your parish, especially if you're in a place that "isn't quite there yet." Download, print, use! And don't forget to drop me a line and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

-Andy
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Very exciting !!

Congrats !!
  • Marvelous! THANK you.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    These are very accessible. Excellent work that accords with the new recognition of the importance of Mass propers.
  • CharlesW
    I definitely like these. I have been using the Weber antiphons, but there generally seems to be that one Sunday or two that I need, which has nothing written for it.

I will begin using these Sunday after next.
  • ref_scottref_scott
    Liking the mobile capability...
  • Thanks, Jeff. I'm way too web-dumb to do something as fancy as, you know, post pictures.
  • francis
    I have also posted Andrew's work on the list of resources that link to my recent book. Great stuff. Thanks, Andrew for your efforts.

Also, there is a new button in the nav bar of my website which also takes you directly to the Directory of Resources.

go to link
  • Update: Year B of this project is now complete. Stand by: Year C should easily be done by the end of the summer, and we should have a complete cycle!
  • Francis, what a great section of LINKS!!!!

May I link to them from my websites?

www.basicchant.com
    www.thecatholicchoirbook.com
    www.thecatholichymnal.com
  • Year C is now complete! We now have a complete three-year cycle of Communion Antiphons for the liturgical year! Coming soon: practice recordings.
  • francis
    noel

i missed your post above

i will definitely put them on the page.

they are offerred for free as pdfs?